Author Topic: Ilona Andrews  (Read 540791 times)

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
Re: Ilona Andrews
« Reply #1065 on: June 01, 2021, 11:14:07 pm »
And it's beautiful.
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #1066 on: June 03, 2021, 05:25:15 am »
 bOuNcY  bOuNcY  bOuNcY I have to save that for later.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #1067 on: June 03, 2021, 09:11:58 am »
Okay hurogs, worst IA villain.  Someone in the comments on the blog post pointed out that the Lighthouse Keepers were left out of the poll, and honestly I think choosing the worst of the list would have been more of a challenge for me if they'd been on it.  Probably would have still gone with Ted though.  Negligent bigotry and hubris that got his own people killed. 

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #1068 on: June 03, 2021, 06:21:30 pm »
That would be hard to decide between.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #1069 on: June 03, 2021, 07:01:23 pm »
I went with Voron. It takes a lot to raise a child in order for that child to be killed, let alone to put her through all the stuff he put her through.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #1070 on: June 03, 2021, 08:47:56 pm »
I don’t really see Voron as an independent character in the story; he’s part of Kate’s backstory. So he wasn’t a top contender for me for that reason.

Itsy-Cat

• Tinker
« Reply #1071 on: June 04, 2021, 02:33:12 pm »
For me, it's a toss up between Voron or Ted.

I hate characters who deal with their personal issues by ruining, or attempting to ruin a child's life. I don't care what they had to deal with; nothing justifies taking it out on an innocent child.  >:(
For that reason, I'd have to go with Voron.

(This is also why I still hate Leah in the Mercy Thompson series, for how Leah treated Mercy when she was a child. I get that she and Bran had massive issues, but that wasn't Mercy's fault.

I also can't stand Cat and Ned Stark from Game of Thrones, for what they did to Jon Snow. Wishing a child dead or crippled? Treating him as 'inferior' to the rest of the family? Sending their 14-year-old nephew to a life sentence in a glorified prison colony? They were basically the Game of Thrones version of the Dursleys.

Oh, and speaking of Harry Potter, I hated that Snape was considered 'redeemed' by the end of the books. My biggest issue with Snape was never that he served Voldemort or killed Dumbledore; I hated him for abusing his power as a teacher and blatantly bullying the children in his classroom, something that was never resolved. The film version cut out the worst of that bullying, so I guess could forgive movie-Snape. But I still hate book-Snape.)

Back to the Kate Daniels villains though... there is the point about Voron never actually appearing in the series, so if he's more of a backstory character, and you're looking at characters you hate while actually reading; the ones that just get on your nerves as the story progresses... well, Ted is the one that irritates me.

But overall, I had to go with Voron. Raising Kate to be a weapon just so her father would kill her is pretty unforgivable. He can't even use the 'road to hell is paved with good intentions' excuse, because we know there was nothing good about his intentions. Oh, and he raised Hugh in an abusive way as well, so that's two children whose lives Voron ruined.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 03:36:19 pm by Itsy-Cat »

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #1072 on: June 04, 2021, 07:35:11 pm »
I'm unfamiliar with GOT, so I can't speak to that. Leah and Snape are both complicated characters. I don't particularly like them, but I understand that they came by their pathology honestly. I had a parent like that. While I understand how she got that way, she did real damage. Like Leah and Snape, she was damaged herself. Real damage was done to her from the time she was a toddler. It warped her. It doesn't excuse the damage she did, but it does explain it. I can pity the child she was, while disliking the adult she became.

With Voron, we don't have his own backstory. There's no explanation for how he got to be the kind of person who could treat a child that way, because what Kate's mom did should not have produced that kind of behavior. It comes from somewhere else, and we don't have a way to explain it. That makes it a lot easier for me to judge him in a way that I don't judge the others. Also, the sheer scope of his vengeance project is on a different scale from the day to day pettiness of Leah and Snape.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #1073 on: June 05, 2021, 10:18:30 am »
Oh, and speaking of Harry Potter, I hated that Snape was considered 'redeemed' by the end of the books. My biggest issue with Snape was never that he served Voldemort or killed Dumbledore; I hated him for abusing his power as a teacher and blatantly bullying the children in his classroom, something that was never resolved. The film version cut out the worst of that bullying, so I guess could forgive movie-Snape. But I still hate book-Snape.)

This.

I went with Ted, mostly because I feel it was more harm to more people.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #1074 on: June 05, 2021, 11:21:26 am »
"The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas", short story by Ursula K. LeGuin which has influenced my thinking on one vs. many for a very long time.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #1075 on: June 05, 2021, 11:55:15 am »
If we're going general on this, should we take it to a different thread?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #1076 on: June 13, 2021, 10:32:57 am »
Short, very short, story!

https://www.ilona-andrews.com

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #1077 on: June 13, 2021, 11:03:00 am »
Short but awesome!

BillG

• Senior Pack Member
« Reply #1078 on: June 14, 2021, 01:44:25 am »
Groovy!
"Change is the end result of all true learning."
Leo Buscaglia

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #1079 on: June 18, 2021, 03:42:36 pm »
Anyone else getting the "This connection is not private" message for their website? Says the current certificate was signed by an untrusted party. I'm guessing it was Mod R and someone forgot to certify her or something. Still afraid to go there though.