Author Topic: Marie Brennan  (Read 5224 times)

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
Marie Brennan
« on: August 28, 2008, 02:39:07 pm »
I guess I have another new author to recomend, Marie Brennan.

I just finsihed reading her Doppelganger duology; Warrior (originally released as Doppelganger) and Witch (originally released as Warrior and Witch).  These books are what you might call more classic fantasy novels, set in a fictional pseudo-medieval world.  The story is about a witch and her search for her mystical "doppleganger".  Quite good, with something of the feel of a classic Andre Norton or Anne McCaffrey fantasy.  Quite good and I'm almost sorry the story is only two books long (although it is nicely tied up in the end).  Mostly action and adventure, with only a hint of future romance in the second book.

The author has another series which seems to be two books so far (Midnight Never Come, And Ashes Lie), about a hidden faerie kingdom existing beneath the streets of Elizabethan London.  Sounds interesting and if it's as well written as the Doppelganger books is should be well worth reading.  I'll be looking for those soon!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:41:20 pm by mdauben »
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

mystify

• Mechanic
Re: Marie Brennan
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 09:27:02 am »
I liked Warrior and haven't gotten around to reading Witch yet. I just saw Midnight Never Come in a bookstore yesterday and couldn't figure out why the author's name sounded familiar but now I know. :) It sounds pretty interesting though. I'd like to give it a try.

Cole

• Grease Monkey
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 09:32:49 am »
why were the titles change i originaly read with the first title

There is no place like /~

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 07:04:53 am »
I read Doppleganger and Warrior and liked them both. I think I eventually gave them away on PBS, though.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Venus

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 08:45:01 pm »
I just got these the other day and plan to read them soon. They were next to each other on the shelf and I always love it when I can get a whole story at once.