Author Topic: "Alpha and Omega" Limited Edition  (Read 15405 times)

subpress

"Alpha and Omega" Limited Edition
« on: June 22, 2009, 05:50:07 am »
Hi all,

I hope you'll forgive the intrusion, but we're publishing a signed, limited edition (1000 copies) of Patty's novella, "Alpha and Omega".

You can find the cover posted to the main page at our site, and order it on the product page.

All best,

Bill
Main Page: http://www.subterraneanpress.com
And for Alpha and Omega: http://tinyurl.com/nekd2z

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
Re: "Alpha and Omega" Limited Edition
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:29:29 am »
Just going to lock this thread for now. :)

Edit: Ok, the thread is now unlocked.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:59:20 pm by Midangel »

hermione

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:15:52 pm »
I got my copy already on reserve.

Linnea

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 03:58:04 pm »
Is this legit?  The cover looks a bit...amateur.

~Linnea

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 04:11:17 pm »
It's legit. :)

I've pre-ordered my copy a while back. This publisher does one off special editions.

mtomni

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 07:33:10 pm »
Um.......is this a graphic novel like "The Homecoming"?

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 07:48:03 pm »
I think it's more along the lines of an illustrated short story. It's 104 pages so I'm thinking around 20-30 illustrations will be in it.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 09:01:12 pm »
It's not like a comic book.   They're just trying to do a nice presentation of a novella, which is actually kind of tough.  Too short for a book, too long for a pamphlet.   Novella's are a publisher's nightmare.  So, the text will be exactly the same as what appeared in On the Prowl, but they'll use a larger font and space it out so it takes up a few more pages.  It will have just a handful of interior illustrations -- five or six I think.   I'm not sure if they'll be color or black and white (suspect black and white).  

The idea was that the novella is the beginning of the whole story, and Patty was looking for a way to make a stand-alone version of it.  Given the very explicit nature of Sunny's story in On the Prowl, many conservative people are uncomfortable buying it in that format (or keeping at home where young readers might stumble upon it).

Patty was able to arrange to have Alpha and Omega released as a low-cost ebook.  However, Subterranean Press specializes in very nice special editons,  and we're delighted that they're making this available for folks who like paper books in their collection.

So, there are cheaper ways to read the story, but if you like to have all your books lined up neatly on the bookshelf, and don't want to have fifty pages of explicit erotica hiding in your library,  this should be a very nice solution.  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:04:42 pm by Mike Briggs »
Where's my super-suit?

ekl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 06:49:41 pm »
It also appears to be sold out... bOuNcY

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 04:06:25 am »
My copy arrived today and wow! It's worth the price. The binding and pages inside are damn good quality. The illustrations also add a very lovely touch.

Very nicely done, Subterranean Press!

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 08:46:19 am »
I will have to add them to my list of book buying sources.  I know they have published short works of other authors I like as well.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 01:15:14 pm »
I got my copy too!
And its def worth the price.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Patty Briggs

• Administrator
  • Mechanic
    • Hurog.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 11:07:31 pm »
Subterranean Press has gorgeous books :)  I have bought several myself -- and I was delighted when they asked to republish this story.
Hugs,
Patty

irian

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 10:35:31 pm »
Hi! I'm a newbie here, only started reading the Mercy Thompson books last December. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody here could help me acquire a copy of this book? I was going to buy it from the subterranean press website last February but had to defer my purchase because I found that I was short on funds at the time. And now that I've saved up enough, the book isn't available at the site anymore.  :-' I would really like to get my hands on a copy of this book, but I can't afford the $75+ asking price of the few online stores that still have it. Would anyone here perhaps be able to help me? I'm a new fan who can only afford to spend so much, so I do hope that anyone who might have bought any extra copies might be willing to part with one...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 11:37:52 pm »
You might try the University Bookstore in Seattle, Washington; I saw a couple of copies there when Patty was doing the signing on March 30th.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

irian

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 02:08:15 am »
You might try the University Bookstore in Seattle, Washington; I saw a couple of copies there when Patty was doing the signing on March 30th.

OMG thank you! I've placed my order already, hopefully they still have copies in stock and it doesn't get cancelled...

*edit*
BTW, correct me if I'm mistaken, but are those Moomins in your sig banner?  :-LOVE
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:52:48 am by irian »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 07:14:06 am »
Hey, gotta feed the need!

No, that's my set of hippos I herded in our first writing challenge here.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

irian

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 07:58:57 am »
Hey, gotta feed the need!

No, that's my set of hippos I herded in our first writing challenge here.

Well, I'm not in the clear yet. I have to wait for the shipment confirmation first. But I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed. Considering how prices at third party booksellers like abebooks and alibris seem to have gone up (and they are increasing by increments per week for now--one site I looked at was $60 in the google search, but $80 in the actual product page, another went from $75 to $85 just this week)... I think it's sad though, for people to jack up the prices on their existing stock like that as soon as subterranean's website lists the product as "sold out". It might be good for business, but it does deprive new fans who might want to own quality editions of their favorite books the opportunity to own copies (unless they're willing to pay an arm and a leg for them, that is).

But business is business, and the law of supply and demand definitely comes into play for limited editions like these. I also wanted to get the first three books of Naomi Novik's Temeraire series from subterranean, but oddly enough the third book sold out while the first two were still available, so of course now the booksellers that still have it started changing their prices to reflect the "out of print" status of the book. Another subterranean book that I missed out on was Peter Beagle's The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version, which was also going for $35 when it was first release in 2007. Now, I think copies can go as high as $200 (that's how much a local seller here in the Philippines was pricing his copy). I wonder if the same thing will happen to Alpha and Omega? The lucky members here who managed to get their copies while the book was still available should definitely hold on to them. But since we all love Patty's books so much, I doubt that anyone would want to part with their copy anyway, unless it's an extra.

The blue hippo definitely looks like a moomin to me. Other than the markings on his stomach, that is.  :)

irian

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 09:33:09 pm »
Drat. No luck. My order was cancelled.  :-'

Does anyone else have any leads for me? *remains hopeful*

irian

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 05:56:59 am »
Update on my search for Subterranean's Alpha and Omega! After two false leads, I finally score! I got two copies, one for myself, and one to gift to a friend for Christmas. 

lachapakhan

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 03:02:54 am »
on the main page of patty's website, it says there was a graphic novel that came out just this past november, but i can't find any copies of it for sale online, anywhere ...

was it really published?
where can i find it?

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 05:59:27 pm »
lachapakhan,

This isn't a graphic novel, but rather, an illustrated novella. It was published by Subterranean Press. So to answer your questions: Was it really published? Yes. Where can I find it? It was originally sold through Subterranean Press for $50.00 You can try online sources, but the prices are rising. Really though, if you've read the short story you're good. It's the hardback version of it with about five or six illustrations.
Hurog Means Dragon.

lachapakhan

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 08:09:54 am »
lachapakhan,

This isn't a graphic novel, but rather, an illustrated novella. It was published by Subterranean Press. So to answer your questions: Was it really published? Yes. Where can I find it? It was originally sold through Subterranean Press for $50.00 You can try online sources, but the prices are rising. Really though, if you've read the short story you're good. It's the hardback version of it with about five or six illustrations.

i was aware of the subterranean edition; i own a copy of both the subterranean edition and the original ontheprowl paperback. i just didn't really think of it as 'illustrated', so i misunderstood and thought the note on the home page was a reference to this book, which i couldn't find for sale, anywhere:
  http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Cry-Wolf/Patricia-Briggs/e/9780441018482

note that the description says the graphic novel was published in nov, 2009.

i guess the graphic novel doesn't exist, yet, despite the various pictures of it, online.
when i saw the 'illustrated novella', i thought i had missed a publication.

thanks!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:12:20 am by lachapakhan »

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 08:23:33 am »

i guess the graphic novel doesn't exist, yet, despite the various pictures of it, online.
when i saw the 'illustrated novella', i thought i had missed a publication.

thanks!

Hi lachapakhan, no, the Cry Wolf graphic novel isn't available yet.  You haven't missed anything. We're putting updates as to availability in its thread here.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Merrilind

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 04:06:59 pm »
lachapakhan,

Was it really published? Yes. Where can I find it? It was originally sold through Subterranean Press for $50.00 You can try online sources, but the prices are rising.
You can get a new copy through Amazon for $145.00 (Also saw one for almost $2,500!!) :o

Hope Patty gets some of that.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 09:33:23 pm »
Nope!  Authors make money on the first sale of an item.  Once a book sells for the first time, Patty's been fairly compensated, and we don't (and shouldn't!) get a piece of any subsequent sales.  If a twenty dollar book suddenly goes for several hundred, well that's the good fortune of whoever bought in the first place. 

There are some authors who think that they should be entitled to a piece of the sale every time a book changes hands.  That would, of course, be onerous for used book stores (some of our favorite places) as well as violate some fundamental legal tenants like the first sale doctrine.  Nope, we'll take our pound of flesh out of the initial sale, and call it good enough!   :D
Where's my super-suit?

Letitia

• Mechanic
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 12:00:22 pm »
I've always wondered about second sales! Interesting.
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-        "MS. THOMPSON, it said in heavy block letters, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT."
    ¸.·´   .·´¨¨))     Adam Hauptman, Moon Called
  ((¸¸.·´  ¸.·´ -:¦:-                                               -:¦:-

Vit-Lilja

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 02:42:24 pm »
Anyone know where I can get my hands on the Alpha and Omega graphic novel?  I looked on amazon but the cheapest one was $139.00. 

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 03:19:09 pm »
Vit-Lilja,

What you're looking for isn't an actual graphic novel but the illustrated novella of the Alpha & Omega short story from the On the Prowl anthology. The hardback from Subterranean Press has five illustrations and sold initially for $50. I don't imagine you'll be finding it any cheaper from what you've seen on online sources. You could try various bookstores in your area to see if they have it stocked.

If you have read the anthology story you're good to go. If you haven't it would be much easier and cheaper to track that down to read it.
Hurog Means Dragon.