Author Topic: Jim Butcher  (Read 190774 times)

Coyote

Jim Butcher
« on: July 22, 2007, 05:28:26 pm »
Jim Butcher does a series of books about a private investigator who is also a wizard, in a world where most people don't believe in magic, but which, obviously carries more than it's fair share. I'm a sucker for the pulp-style supernatural series. It's a little more pulp and a little less romance, but I think that many fans of Patricia Briggs and Laurell Hamilton will enjoy the heck out of them.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:48:17 pm by Mike Briggs »

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Jim Butcher
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 07:09:23 pm »
Being a huge Buffy fan, I've listened to JB's books rather than read them, because James Marsters is the narrator. Nothing like a sexy voice reading you a great story.  ;)
Hurog Means Dragon.

SF

• Tool Wrangler
  • Lurking in the shadows
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 11:52:11 am »
I just got into Butcher's books this summer and he has gone quickly into my list of must read authors
"Don't laugh at live dragons" - Bilbo Baggins

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 03:10:23 pm »
Jim Butcher

This series drives me NUTS!  It's really good storytelling.  I like the premises.  Good characterazition.  but I live in Chicago and the physical setting parts are WRONG.  I can understand he would need to change things but U of C is in Hyde Park, PePaul U is in Lincoln Park and it didn't make any sense to do it differently.   

But just so you understand how much I like the books otherwise, I own at least 4 of them.

jackie

celeber

• Tool Wrangler
    • Cerulean Siren
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 07:19:05 am »
This is a series I share with my husband. He just started not too long ago and is at the beginning of book 3. Harry Dresden is a crack up. This is one of my favorite series.
Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. ~ Anonymous

Elayne

• Tool Wrangler
    • ~Adventure's Dawn~
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 11:00:44 am »
Jim Butcher is one of my favorite authors! I picked up Storm Front cause Jim Butcher did a blurb on Simon R. Green's Something From the Nightside, so that got me interested. I sped through the first book and picked up all the rest of them! It was only up to like Grave Peril then, I think... Now I'm always waiting waiting waiting for the next book to come out! His fourth Codex Alera book, Captain's Fury, is due out in December and Small Favors, the next Dresden Files is out around next May! Can't wait!!
Looking for something new to read? ;)
~Adventure's Dawn~

Tinareads

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 06:35:31 pm »
Jim Butcher is one of my very favorite authors. Harry is a great flawed protagonist, but I like the company of characters that keep him in check almost as much as I like Harry himself. I can't wait for April to get here so I can read Small Favor.

I didn't care for Alera so much, but I think it's great that he was able to write a popular series that combines Pokemon and a lost legion [his words, not mine]. What really impressed me, though, was his Spiderman novel, The Darkest Hours. I couldn't believe how much I liked that novel. I couldn't put it down once I got into it. Jim did an excellent job of telling a story in a set universe that I knew little to nothing about, while explaining character backstory so that even non-fans knew what was going on.

Regards,
Tina

Elayne

• Tool Wrangler
    • ~Adventure's Dawn~
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 05:20:49 am »
Oh yeah, the spiderman novel was a lot of fun to read!
Looking for something new to read? ;)
~Adventure's Dawn~

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 07:19:07 am »
I know I'm in the minority when I say that I've liked his Alera books more than his Dresden ones. It's been a while since I've read the Dresden books, though, and I'm trying to read them again. I'm sure I'll like them better the second time 'round.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

sweetsong5986

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 07:40:00 am »
I really like the Dresden Files on Sci-fi channel. They stay pretty true to the novels I think.
Dance like nobody's watching

Kijin

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 03:33:40 am »
Jim Butcher is one of my favorite authors.  I've read pretty much everything he's published, and loved it all.  I'm always waiting twice a year for his newest book to come out.  I really love both the Codex Alera and the Harry Dresden books.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 08:37:38 am »
I'm on Dresden Files #3 and I'm pleased to say that I really do like them better now! I did like the T.V. show and was so disappointed when it was canceled. I just loved Paul Blackthorne as Harry. So I'm picturing him in my head as I'm reading the books and it's a lot more fun :)
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 11:26:13 am »
I've finished up to book 6 and will be headed to BN to pick up the next few in paperback :) (I was able to borrow 1-6). So far, Blood Rites has been my favorite. I now know why I stopped reading these after book 3 - I was so upset at the ending and poor Harry's state of mind that I couldn't go on. I'm glad I could read a bunch of them without buying :)  Although, I liked Blood Rites so much that I'll probably buy it, too. It has some of the funniest scenes in it that I've ever read. Sample:

The vampire's expression didn't even flicker, so I was sure it did not feel the curse coming.

Which made it a complete surprise when something slammed into the vampire from directly overhead, too quickly to be seen. There was a sound of impact, a dry, raspy scream and the vampire went down hard. It lay on the ground like a butterfly pinned to a card, arms and legs thrashing uselessly. It's head and collarbone had been crushed.

By an entire frozen turkey. A twenty pounder.

The plucked bird must've fallen from an airplane overhead, doubtless manipulated by the curse. By the time it got to the ground, the turkey had already reached its terminal velocity and it was hard as a brick. The drumsticks poked up above the vampire's crushed chest, their ends wrapped in red tinfoil.

The vampire gasped and writhed a little more.

The timer popped out of the turkey.

Everyone stopped and blinked at that for a second. I mean, come on. Impaled by a guided frozen turkey missle. Even by the standards of the quasi-immortal creatures of the night, that ain't something you see twice.

"For my next trick", I panted into the startled silence, "anvils!"

And then the fight was on again.

therhoda

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 12:21:01 pm »
for any of you waiting for Captain's fury, the prologue is up athttp://www.jim-butcher.com/books/alera/4/ with new chapters being added every Wednesday. This is either the greatest or cruelest way to get the sample chapters. i can't decide which.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 09:16:53 am »
for any of you waiting for Captain's fury, the prologue is up athttp://www.jim-butcher.com/books/alera/4/ with new chapters being added every Wednesday. This is either the greatest or cruelest way to get the sample chapters. i can't decide which.

Bless you! And Curse you! I can't wait for this to come out! The prologue looks wonderful.