Author Topic: Jim Butcher  (Read 185176 times)

Grandpappy Wycked

• Pack Member
Re: Jim Butcher
« Reply #435 on: June 02, 2014, 10:45:56 am »
Harry told a woman he loved her, and she was kidnapped by Vampires and made into a Vampire. The next woman he had feelings for was possessed by one of the Black Hats. Harry has learned to not "Commit" openly or the Invisible Demon pops up and destroys his heart.
Sanity has Left The Building.
Please Contact Patti L. for further instructions.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #436 on: June 02, 2014, 11:30:11 am »
Thought it might be something like that.  "ditto"; "sure".
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #437 on: June 03, 2014, 11:30:55 am »
Plus his growing up Justin
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #438 on: June 04, 2014, 10:30:22 am »
Great synopsis teaser at the publisher's website: http://www.penguin.com/book/skin-game-by-jim-butcher/9780451464392#extras

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #439 on: June 05, 2014, 08:35:58 pm »
Finally finished the book. Loved it.  Gave me emotional whiplash a couple of times, but in a very satisfactory way. 
It totally didn't hit me that the sword became a lightsaber when Harry threw it to Butters.  Not until he pulled it out to show it to Murphy and they call it a lightsaber (thought the light and buzzing was just a residue of some Otherworldly insta-reforging).  Even the obvious Yoda quote during the fight) and the comment about copyright infringement didn't tip me off (I wondered if they were referring to the Blade That Was Broken in LOTR, and then they started talking about Star Wars and I got confused but I haven't seen Star Wars in, jeeze, at least ten years, so I figured that was why I was missing out).  And I'm usually much more astute.  For instance, I suspected something was up with Grey and Harry way early on.
In any case, I think this development is both awesome and hilarious and I support it.  :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 08:45:02 pm by Patti L. »

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #440 on: June 12, 2014, 11:32:07 am »
Wow, wow, wow, wow. I just finished Skin Game and was  :D  :-' :-LOVE bOuNcY >:( :-' LOL  :-' LOL LOL :-LOVE :-LOVE :-LOVE

Sigh. That was like good sex.

Butcher is an incredible author. I love how he brings everything in - he doesn't completely drop a plot line or a memory from several books ago. He is a master weaver. And emotions, OMG emotions. It was hard to read another book after this one because it was sooo good.

I never really liked the idea of Harry and Karrin Murphy getting together romantically. But this book clinched it for me. Sometimes that intense of a friendship becomes something more. They always have each other's backs and they've learned how to talk to one another and TRUST each other. That's the basis for a great relationship

Maybe I'm just clueless but I really didn't catch onto Grey being on Harry's side until "Game Over." And I was really hoping that Harry would be able to rehabilitate Hannah Archer. I like how he describes their perspectives towards the end. She sees magic as something that gives her power over people and he just loves it for its mystery and sheer coolness factor. So he learns while she doesn't. I'm also wondering when/if the White Council is going to show up again. I guess they had their big arc with the war with the Red Vampires, but I'm curious as to their perspective on Harry now that he's come back from the "dead." And I'm really really curious as to how Murphy's been living since she hasn't had a job in like years? What money cache is she using?
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #441 on: June 12, 2014, 05:58:09 pm »
Cerulean - I do think it was something really subtle that tipped me off about Harry and Grey.  Like when I call my one friend's cell phone and her identical twin sister answers.  I'm not sure how I know, but I always know.  This time - maybe Harry didn't dwell enough on Grey being an unknown.  I mean, sure, he went about his usual methodology of poking the unknown factor with a sharp stick, but there were relatively innocent lives potentially at stake and Grey just didn't seem like enough of a priority enemy considering Harry didn't know what he was capable of.  Could be Winter's influence, but I didn't get the same vibe from his treatment of the rest of Nicodemus's lackeys.  And the reciprocal from Grey was that he sometimes seemed like he was almost enjoying the banter with Harry.  Both possibly just coincidence, but it was there enough to tip off something in the back of my head that something was going on.

Re: emotions... talk about whiplash.  Few authors can hit you with so many emotional switchbacks one after another without losing the tone of the book/series. 

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #442 on: June 12, 2014, 08:53:00 pm »
Liked Grey's price.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #443 on: June 13, 2014, 07:41:56 pm »
I liked that Harry had to borrow the money to pay it.

Grandpappy Wycked

• Pack Member
« Reply #444 on: July 02, 2014, 11:47:00 pm »
the fact that Grey was a Nagloshi...OMFG! THAT I was not expecting! As to the White Counsel, their nose is still bleeding, they are still trying to recover. Right now, Harry has proven his worth over and over, they just don't have him at the top of the To Be Dealt With list, especially now that Morgan is dead
Sanity has Left The Building.
Please Contact Patti L. for further instructions.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #445 on: July 03, 2014, 03:46:45 pm »
the fact that Grey was a Nagloshi...OMFG! THAT I was not expecting!
This.  A thousand times this.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #446 on: February 23, 2018, 06:11:50 pm »