Author Topic: Jim Butcher  (Read 190890 times)

therhoda

Re: Jim Butcher
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 05:31:14 am »
What? *looks each way* You don't stalk authors sites like me huh? Oh well, You can count on me to know these sort of things on most of my favorite authors.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 09:26:49 am »
What? *looks each way* You don't stalk authors sites like me huh? Oh well, You can count on me to know these sort of things on most of my favorite authors.

Apparently I need to stalk a bit more - and at the right times!! :)
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Eldritch_Crank

• Tool Wrangler
    • Xenophon Hendrix
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 06:54:43 pm »
One of the interesting things about the Dresden Files is that they noticeably get better as they go along.  The reader can see Butcher growing as a writer.  The first couple certainly aren't bad, I'd grade them somewhat better than the average book that I have read.  There is a noticeable improvement with the next two, especially Summer Knight, and by the time the series gets to Death Masks or Blood Rites, it is very good indeed.

Woodstock Stir Crazy

• Tinker
  • Neko turned Woodstock.
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 05:59:31 pm »
Jim Butcher is awesome! I can't wait for his next Dresden book! *is exicited* Come on April! Come faster!!!
^.^ ~Neko~

Jane

• Tool Wrangler
    • See Jane Score
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 09:18:33 am »
Hi, my name is Wendy and I'm a Dresdenaholic. ;D

Woodstock Stir Crazy

• Tinker
  • Neko turned Woodstock.
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 12:50:23 pm »
Oh, yay! Another Dresdenaholic!
^.^ ~Neko~

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 01:19:08 pm »
One of the interesting things about the Dresden Files is that they noticeably get better as they go along.  The reader can see Butcher growing as a writer.  The first couple certainly aren't bad, I'd grade them somewhat better than the average book that I have read.  There is a noticeable improvement with the next two, especially Summer Knight, and by the time the series gets to Death Masks or Blood Rites, it is very good indeed.
I totally concur. I had tried reading the series a few years ago, but got irritated by Susan and stopped at the  third book, I think. But then I tried again, pushed through my irritation and fell completely in love!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 07:58:36 pm »
I know many of ya'll already know "Small Favors" 's sample chapter(s) are out.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Woodstock Stir Crazy

• Tinker
  • Neko turned Woodstock.
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 01:04:19 pm »
I totally concur. I had tried reading the series a few years ago, but got irritated by Susan and stopped at the  third book, I think. But then I tried again, pushed through my irritation and fell completely in love!
Susan's horrible! She's just plain out annoying! >.<
^.^ ~Neko~

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 02:32:57 pm »
Tour & Convention shcedule is up on his website. Houstonians rejoyce 7 Apr. 08
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Shuglin

• Tool Wrangler
  • Did someone say pie?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 09:59:47 pm »
Love These books :) I am one of the ones that likes the Alera series a little better than the Dresden ones  :D I think I saw another person like me here? ^^ Also the reason the loc's are off in the Dresden books I believe he said somewhere that he's only been to Chicago once  :)
"No Matter How Subtle The Wizard a Knife Between The Shoulder Blades Will Seriously Cramp His Style"  - Vlad Taltos

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 02:23:57 pm »
Did anyone read the Dresden short in Many Bloody Returns? I thought it was really good ^.^ Those of you who can't wait for April might want to check it out ~.^

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 02:57:12 pm »
Bloodly returns was great. So was "My big fat supernatural wedding, "Something Borrowed", My big fat supernatural Honeymoon "Herot" were most excellent.
life is terminal

BigMama

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 03:26:43 pm »
Jim is an author who, IMO, just continues to improve. His storytelling just gets better with every book in the Dresden series. He's a heck of a nice guy also, and his wife, Shannon, is a peach. If you haven't read her romantic suspense first novel, No Regrets, I can recommend it.
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

beverlyp

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 04:15:31 am »
i just started reading the dresden files and im on grave peril, i'm about halfway through it, but im wondering if there is a short story between fool moon and this one that i missed..one that talks about the demon summoner, and explains where micheal came from? either way this one is the best so far, of course i said that about fool moon also..