Author Topic: Sex in the Mercy Thompson Series  (Read 50733 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Sex
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2009, 11:47:04 am »
Same here, at least when I'm reading books or watching movies. I live in the moment with those. In games I'm a little better with anticipation.

Nurslings

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2009, 01:32:59 pm »
I was OK with how Adam and Mercy got together in this book.  I felt it was appropriate.  I enjoy the sexual tension between them much more than I would like to read graphically, in exacting detail what happens between them.  Since Adam is so chivalrous, and wanted to wait for Marriage/Mating Ritual, and Mercy was recently raped, I'm glad that Patty wrote it the way she did.

That being said... a little bit more detail in future books would be welcome  :-whistle

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2010, 12:13:02 pm »
I'm just re-reading Blood Bound, and came across the point where Mercy finally gets her shower after Stefan gets her back home from the first confrontation with Littleton, and she specifically says there "Littleton hadn't raped me, but he'd violated my body just the same."  So that's another bit of damage layered under what Tim did to her in Iron Kissed, and reinforced by/with what The Monster did to her in Bone Crossed.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2010, 12:32:35 pm »
Yeah, she was badly beaten then. Her world's tough.

Other aspects from her life like her abandonment issues, as well as the rape, could have increased the severity of her panic attacks. And who knows what Blackwood did to her in BC.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2010, 12:39:46 pm »
Which makes her "epiphany" in the front seat of the SUV with Adam and the other members of the pack even more powerful. She acknowledges all she's gone through and decides to work on letting it go. (I don't think it's ever that easy... but once you decide to let it go, you can start working on it!)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2010, 02:12:19 pm »
It's the initial acknowledgement of emotional wounds that's the most important. Otherwise your stuck in a rut, which is where Samuel is at.

script_ed

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2010, 02:11:06 pm »
So, after four books in the Mercy Thompson series I can't help but feel that I'm left high and dry.  I know I know this is intended to be a mystery and possibly even a lore based fiction novel but for goodness sake... toss me a bone (no pun intended).  Even the sex described in the last book left much to be desired (given she was a recovering rape-victim at the time and tenderness and discretion were admittedly a must for this particular scene).  Quite possibly there will be more in books to come but at the moment, I'm starting to feel like maybe Ms. Briggs isnt really all that comfortable writing intimate moments.

I actually felt the same way, until I read A&O, then I realized that she isn't hesitant on writing the sex scenes. Their scenes are not as descriptive or prolonged as some other romance authors, but definitely more than what Adam and Mercy were written as having. So, I concluded from absolutely no canon that it must have been a character/plot consistency decision. And I lean towards character being Mercy was in a place of healing, which is what Adam was offering, so she focused that scene on the healing aspect. I wouldn't be surprised if in future books we have a more steamy encounter. I am not sure though, because my portent devices can be a bit finicky.

As to what others were posting: Although given the right character and plot line I do enjoy some of the sex scenes, usually I can not stand reading just romance novels...there has to be some threat of death or violence or paranormal for me to enjoy a book, meaning sex isn't the integral point. However, I do love anticipation- in music, books, movies, what-have-you, a few more scenes of Adam and Mercy playing were-karate in the garage would be enough to satisfy me.
Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is.
- William James (1842-1910)

vlntflwr

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2010, 06:06:37 am »
Finally someone who agrees with Steph!  What's with all the ragging on the comment?  I see both sides of the coin here. The first encounter, although 'tentative', was about healing for Mercy, but there was little to make me feel like this scene inspired healing or passion.  The scene does fall along with the 'here and now' of Mercy and Adam's relationship.  They couldn't afford to be hot and heavy just yet, so I'm hoping that in Silver Borne we'll see more between the two.  I find it's more about the bond, and not about the physical between the two of them. Which is fine and dandy, but Mercy and Adam deserrve a little more.

As for sex in novels in general...what harm is there if the story is good, the plot is awesome, and you're just as eager for the the characters to hook up as you are about cracking the case before the characters.  Ex: Law & Order SVU: Olivia and Elliot, Buffy and Angel, House and Cuddy, Bones and Booth, Clark and Lois etc. (I know it's silly but am I right)   

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2010, 08:21:36 am »
I'm perfectly happy to have the sex off camera.  It's like they used to say, don't put your best wares in the window; put second best, tantalize the customer into the store.  Yes, we're "inside the store" when we read the book, but sex is like horror in this; what happens in the reader/viewer's mind is going to be better/worse by a quantum amount than what we can put on the page/screen.

After all, Mercy was - under coercion - "in love with" Tim when he raped her, and that's been recorded, it could theoretically be described in great detail, maybe even from multiple angles.  And since she was "in love with him", it should be tender, right?

Does that happen?

No.

It's scarier/creepier for NOT being detailed, and I am more pleased than not for having it so.

script_ed

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2010, 11:03:09 am »
I'm perfectly happy to have the sex off camera.  It's like they used to say, don't put your best wares in the window

lol, I've never heard that saying before, but I like it. I especially agree with it regarding other variants of media, such as hot coffees on video games. Movies especially so, since I sat down to watch a harmless action flick with my younger siblings and ended up having to turn off the TV during a sporadic steamy scene, which, I in turn, had to profusely apologize to my parents about why I introduced such material to them in the first place. There's nothing wrong with alluding to the sexual encounter. And there is, as in life, a fine line between erotically tasteful and just plain raunchy, which is usually a matter of perception. So, I would recommend reading A&O as well, and if you don't feel as though the sexual tension is as you would like it there, I wouldn't expect anything more lasciviously written in the Mercy series.

[Regarding Tim&Mercy] It's scarier/creepier for NOT being detailed, and I am more pleased than not for having it so.

I think it's a great indicator for how great a writer she is, because she doesn't need to be verbose about her explanations. The tonality and character descriptions are written such that the reader understands in a few paragraphs what happened, why it happened, how all involved feel about it, and the reader develops their own personal emotional reaction to those events without a never-ending explanation that lasts for pages, she continues on the story line. The concept of Mercy in her coyote form and submitting to Ben was enough for the reader to empathize with her at that moment, or when the writing pans to Adam's reactions to watching the tape, not what was actually on the tape, is more telling of what violation Mercy underwent. I think it's easier to write: a as it happens to b and than c occurs here, but it's a much better story when you learn about d and e and how it relates to the beginning of events- a. So, anyways, I agree with the Tim scene it was tastefully written leaving just enough -ick factor to empathize with the characters, but not enough for me to be disgusted and unable to ingest anymore- such as Precious, have you tried reading that?

To vlntflower: Agreed, no harm with the sex scenes, reading is a personal experience and as long as it's not a prolonged play-by-play and has a central story- a real story with an abundance of character development, close calls, and paranormals- well, then I'm a happy little reader, but then again some may consider me a closet lech, just on this side of tasteful walking that thin line.  ;D

Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is.
- William James (1842-1910)

HavParker

• Tinker
    • The Critical Artist
Re: Sex in the Mercy Thompson Series
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2010, 09:49:54 pm »
I don't know if its been said yet, but it worth pointing out that the series is narrated by Mercy and she may chose not to reveal everything to you. Only what she wants you to know. And as for the rape scene, I think she's mostly blocked that out. She probably couldn't describe it fully to anyone.

When writing in the first person, you always have to take into account what the character knows and how or to what extent they'll discuss something.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:56:39 pm by shanpark_232 »
•Hav•

mercybound88

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2011, 02:17:53 pm »
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to put in my opinion.  ;) I happen to agree with the original poster. After following the series from the beginning I was hoping for more detail in the scene between Adam and Mercy. Now, I don't want a raunchy scene because I don't think that would fit with the series, but I would have liked it to be somewhat like the scene from Cry Wolf. I thought that scene had enough detail without going overboard. During the scene between Adam and Mercy, however, I had no idea what was going on. I was actually confused during some of it and one of my friends didn't even know if they had actually had sex or not. You can have enough detail to be clear about what is going on without going overboard. In addition I have to agree with the poster that said they didn't know what Tim had done to Mercy until after it was done. I too had to go back and reread it, because I didn't realize what he had done at first either. My best friend who reads the series also felt the same way. Overall, I LOVE the series and I'm glad it isn't dripping with sex like most other books are, but a little more detail would be nice and I'm sure Mrs Briggs could do it in a tactful way as she demonstrated in Cry Wolf.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2011, 06:41:07 pm »
If you've read "Silver Borne", their scene at the end of that is more explicit, and should satisfy you.

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2011, 05:14:39 pm »
I'm happy the books aren't explicite. My mom and I share an Amazon acount, so she reads some of the books that I do. Anything too explicit would be acward and it leaves the books open to younger readers. 
Howl more, whine less

issah26

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2011, 09:28:21 pm »
I'm just re-reading Blood Bound, and came across the point where Mercy finally gets her shower after Stefan gets her back home from the first confrontation with Littleton, and she specifically says there "Littleton hadn't raped me, but he'd violated my body just the same."  So that's another bit of damage layered under what Tim did to her in Iron Kissed, and reinforced by/with what The Monster did to her in Bone Crossed.

It seems that she was emotionaly and blood (bitten) violated in Bone Crossed, physically in Blood Bound, and sexually in Iron Kissed.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:29:58 pm by issah26 »