Author Topic: Sex in the Mercy Thompson Series  (Read 50731 times)

Lakritz

• Tool Wrangler
    • Literaturzeitung au├čerdem
Re: Sex
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2009, 09:32:24 am »
I do think the reason, why a lot more people have problems with explicit sex scenes than with explicit violence, is that even a well written sex scene can be deeply embarassing or even disgusting (because the techniques, or the shape/size/colour/whatever of the body parts described turn you off completely) - and it's supoposed to make you feel good! You want to identify with the people in the book and get some of thier excitement and "positive vibes" to rub off onto you - but what if they suddenly do things, you personally wouldn't? And how boring, if they just do what "everybody does"? And I (overweight, visibly middle-aged, short legged, not into sports) surely have given up trying to identify with the bodily action of young slender heroines, with legs two miles long and "rosy nipples on small but perfectly shaped breasts"!

With violent scenes, most of us don't want to identify too closely with the acting personae - so it doesn't matter that much, if what they are doing matches our imagination of violence. And most of us don't have that much experience with sword fights, wholsale slaughter, torturing etc. that we would find all the wrong descriptions in a mediocre scene - we buy a lot more crap in that line of writing, than in the sex scenes... where most of us have at least some experience and can judge that some of the things described are just not anatomically possible! Violence is supposed to bring on the adrenaline and after that the relief - funny enough that often works, even in badly written scenes.
no signatures, no comment

thebeadedchihuahua

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2009, 06:20:43 pm »
I liked the fact that I could leave the sex scene to my own imagination. I could see and feel the emotion between Adam and Mercy. It felt genuine and not based on libido.

I also like the fact that I can allow my daughter to read these when she becomes a teen and not worry about her reading a detailed sex scene. I have read many young adult novels that go into detail about sex.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2009, 06:30:58 pm »
Yes, it's as I think I said somewhere else, TBC, funny how the bare suggestion works so well both for sex & for horror.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

paige

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2009, 02:15:32 pm »
Im okay with how she wrote it this time. I think it was appropriate after the rape and everything. But I do hope that she will go into a little more detail in future books:)

Linnea

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2009, 09:45:49 pm »
I do see what the original poster meant about the scene being overly tentative, unlike the rest of the writing.  It's one thing for the characters to be tentative in their actions, and another thing to read a scene and suddenly feel the author's discomfort and tentativeness...Not that I was ever expecting erotica from Mrs. Briggs, but in the scene with Tim, I didn't even realize he was having sex with her at first, it happened so vaguely.  It wasn't until the description of playing back the security video that I got the hint, then I had to go back and reread the scene.  Something as terrible and immediate as rape shouldn't be that vague.  I don't think that a person going through such a horrible experience gets the relief of experiencing it though a fuzzy filter.

~Linnea

Carradee

• writers
  • Mechanic
    • Misti Wolanski's home page
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2009, 03:13:24 am »
in the scene with Tim, I didn't even realize he was having sex with her at first, it happened so vaguely.

...I caught on fine.  :/

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2009, 07:53:43 am »
I don't know, it was pretty clear to me on the first read.   :-\
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

IvyBRT

• Tinker
    • Book Reader Times
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2009, 01:51:50 pm »
Since I was not expecting it, it was not clear to me when I was reading it. When I caught on I was like "What just happened here?" so I re-read some of it. :-\

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2009, 01:55:19 pm »
Shows you how old & cynical I am; I expected Tim to do that to her, so I figured that's what it was right away.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2009, 02:09:02 pm »
I caught on right away as well so it must be the old and cynical, I saw it coming before they even left Tim's house.

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

IvyBRT

• Tinker
    • Book Reader Times
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2009, 02:14:24 pm »
I knew that he was going to do something bad... I was just not expecting it to be rape. I just never thought that Mrs. Briggs would put that in there since the previous books that I had read were sex free books LOL

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2009, 02:19:40 pm »
Yes but the evil surrounding him was so intense and the fact that she didn't want anything but friendship & her knowledge of the artifacts he had really pushed him over the edge. remember the scene in his bedroom at the house?  If it hadn't been for his greed in wanting the walking stick I think it would have happened then.

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

IvyBRT

• Tinker
    • Book Reader Times
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2009, 02:59:41 pm »
Yes but the evil surrounding him was so intense and the fact that she didn't want anything but friendship & her knowledge of the artifacts he had really pushed him over the edge. remember the scene in his bedroom at the house?  If it hadn't been for his greed in wanting the walking stick I think it would have happened then.

Good point... I did not see it then  ;)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2009, 03:23:01 am »
I agree about the house and the car ( the parts leading up to the rape was very clear) and in a way the walking stick saved her life again in the sense Tim was after it- I think the scene in the Pizza place and then later on during the meeting I think Tim planned to rape Mercy to get back at her because of slight on his pride.
That kiss she shared with Sam was pretty much the turning point I think and dont forget he had the charisma ring so he probably thought he would have had a chance to gain  a woman's attention so he thought he was irristable.

I think description during the rape was fitting because Mercy was out of it because of the fae drink affects and as well as the fact that she was being attacked and she was in shock.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2009, 08:48:15 am »
Shows you how old & cynical I am; I expected Tim to do that to her, so I figured that's what it was right away.

I NEVER know these things ahead of time.  I don't think it means I'm not old and cynical.  More like...I'm just obtuse.  But honestly, I don't have a "strategic" brain.  It's why I can't play chess and am lousy at most card games.  (When we play card games at home with my family, they always fight to sit on my left because I only play for myself and tend to "feed" cards to the person on my left without thinking about it.  There's always a lot of table talk with the other players reminding me that the person on my left is collecting certain cards.  I'm horribly, horribly obtuse.)  When I read a book, I'm only focused on the moment...I can't ever imagine "ahead" to consider what someone might do. 
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.