Author Topic: Sex in the Mercy Thompson Series  (Read 50553 times)

Artemis

• Grease Monkey
Re: Sex
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 01:06:07 pm »
Seconding, Patti L. I think that anyone who reads these books knows not to expect a graphic sex scene, and if they like those sorts of things, there are a lot of other authors who provide them. People like a lot of different things, and there's a book out there for just about every taste.
We learned more from a three-minute record than we ever learned in school ...

"No Surrender," Bruce Springsteen

berryblu

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 03:26:53 pm »
 :-LOVE  I love both types of books.   ;)  You don't have to like only one of them.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 03:30:53 pm »
Right, you just want to have them clearly defined, so you know what you're getting in the first place.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

berryblu

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 03:47:05 pm »
 :)  Not really.  Sometimes it is not possible to include that info.  Giving the ending of Iron Kissed away on the back blurb or elsewhere would have spoiled the events for me.  Rape is not a general theme of the Mercy Thompson series and was unexpected, IMO.  However, the urban fantasy genre does consist of very dark themes and I feel that anyone not wanting to read such shouldn't pick these books up.  That seems to be different to me from placing warnings on books.  I would not want to see that.  Everyone is just fine with blood and gore, but put in some rape or sex of some kind and a few people go bonkers, IMO.  The communities written about in many urban fantasy novels are based on might makes right.  To me sex just understood to be one method of control, a very accurate RL one, too.  I just know that Patricia Briggs isn't as explicit as some other authors, but even the amount in her books is over the edge for others.   9)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 03:49:02 pm by berryblu »

nottled

• Mechanic
  • Sexy Fat Chick
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 03:58:46 pm »
Well, I do like both. It's sad that often where you have good writing you can't have the other descriptive sex scenes.  I find that I have to give up one to have the other. There are a few that have both but not too many.

The fact is that I find the characters in these books extremely sexy and if the sex scenes could be more graphic and keep Patty's signature style, I'd eat it up and lick my fingers afterward! LOL

That being said, I would hate to see Patty write in a way that she's not comfortable with simply to appease the wants and needs of her voracious readers! It would diminish the art and that simply will not do.

I can take those boys into my own head and nobody will be the wiser. >D
Damn it, I am pleasant!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 06:33:21 pm »
What nottled said :D

But on one point about sex scenes- there can be well written ones and it can convey real emotions and meaning as well. Just because its sexy doesnt mean its useless but again it depends on the strength of the author and half of the time tension is just as important that the doing the horizontal tango. THAT is missing in a lot of books. But that is an important point about violence and gore Berryblu, I find that is more disturbing and upsetting if its not done right than a meh sex scene.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 04:06:31 am »
What you three said above. :P Couldn't have put it better.

That is what confuzzles me also, berryblu and Has. Why is violence and gore acceptable in books for most people, but when sex scenes come into it, it seems to be derived as tawdry or trashy?

I'm speaking in general terms.  ;)

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 04:17:00 am »
Well, give me blood and gore and flying body parts over descriptions of sex any day. :)

But let's face it, IMO most of the time you have a better chance of finding a scene with blood and violence in it that is bloody violent, than a sex scene that is sexy...
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Carradee

• writers
  • Mechanic
    • Misti Wolanski's home page
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 07:33:13 am »
I'm with Gerd D., for a different reason.  I'm waiting for marriage, so sex scenes make me uncomfortable.  I don't want that much detail.  I don't want to know or be thinking about that, at this point.

I think the flippant, casual "Oh, look how fun this is!" tone might be much of what turns me off, because that also disturbs me when applied to violence.  (The detail that my parents flipped about the Anna and Charles scene in Cry Wolf and called it "provocative" likely also contributes to my discomfort.)

Also, sex is personal and special and (theoretically) private, unlike violence.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 05:28:46 am by Carradee »

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 02:47:18 pm »
I'm with you Carradee.

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 06:53:10 pm »
I am fine with graphic sex scenes or not.. whichever the author thinks make sense.   I think the problem with the sex scenes in some non-Patricia  urban fantasy is that they are extremely creepy because they border on (or are completely) nonconsensual - and all the characters seem to think that is ok.  I don't see that happening in the Mercy or Anna books, so I am happy either way.   

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2009, 01:08:26 am »
well, I don't really mind on the blood and gore descriptions... or the adult, consensual, love-induced (is that even correct? or do i write the opposite of what i mean? :-[) anyway, if the 2 (or more) characters are adults that know what they are doing (and i do not have to read every little detail) i am fine with it... it's mostly on the part where hormones get the upper hand and the logic and feeling of the character is left behind...  now that! (together with rape scenes and the like) when written too graphically will not endear the books and writers to me...

(i hope i make sense and you understand what i mean)... O)

Artemis

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2009, 10:39:41 am »
My feeling on sex and violence in books is that I prefer for it to be there for a reason -- to move the story along, show us something new about a character, etc. Not just where the author says, "oh, the pace is lagging a little here, I'll shoehorn in some sex/violence to keep the readers entertained."

One of the reason that I love Patty's books is that because she never does that.

All that being said, I am more comfortable with explicit violence than sex. I don't know why.
We learned more from a three-minute record than we ever learned in school ...

"No Surrender," Bruce Springsteen

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2009, 10:56:25 am »
It's what we've been trained to.
For those who grew up on the Christian Bible, Cain killing Abel was bad, but not as bad as the eating from the tree of knowledge & becoming ashamed of nudity, and leading onward from there to sex.  As I understand the arguments.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Dani

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2009, 10:42:58 am »
I agree with most of the posters here as well, I think Patty did an excellent job of writing that scene. While I do agree that it is a little vague, it seemed a bit in keeping with the tone of the situation to my mind; simply because these books are written from Mercy's view. While yes, our heroine is usually the ballsy in your face type, on this particular topic she's completely out of her element. There's no way she's completely over what Tim did to her, and remember, some part of her feels that what happened is partially her fault and that she betrayed the pack and especially Adam. This scene is an integral part of her healing process and I attributed the vagueness as Mercy kind of being shy about talking about it. We know it happened, but we don't really need to know all the details and her shame and fear about past events and getting over them.

As for the violence, most people wouldn't have too much of a problem talking about how they trashed the high school bully who was picking on somebody to teach em a lesson, but be honest, most of us don't go around sharing stories of our sex lives with everyone.