Author Topic: Sex in the Mercy Thompson Series  (Read 50551 times)

IvyBRT

• Tinker
    • Book Reader Times
Re: Sex
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 10:42:20 am »
I started the reading Mrs. Briggs books because they are clean. I really don't miss or need the sex in her books. She has been able to keep many of us entertained with her stories with out the need of graphic/explicit sex. If I want to read a book with more sexual details then I just simply choose a book/series by a different author.
 :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:45:05 am by ivyqueen »

primalSCREAM

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 03:57:23 am »
I totally agree with you guys...sometimes the sexual tension is more exciting than being sexually explicit. I also get really put off by the use of gutteral street terms in describing sex....not my thing...that's why I like Patty's books...she still gets the sexual tension across without the vulgarity.... :D

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 05:48:07 am »
You see, I love sex scenes when they are done extremely well. It can be gentle, without going into description; it can be raw, hot steamy sex where it matches the passion inside of the characters or it can be erotic going into the kinky side that suits the tone of the book. I enjoy all of these type of scenes in books.

But, in this instance with Mercy and Adam after the rape, while I was wanting more description, I can understand why the scene played out that way. :)

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 06:05:31 am »
I have to admit, somehow I can't imagine Mercy as the steamy sexy one in the femme fatale kind of way. I don't think she is that kind of woman.

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 06:54:23 am »
Oh I agree. I wouldn't want to see those type of scenes in the Mercy books. :)

What I'm trying to say is that, I equally enjoy those type of sex scenes in other books... oh dear, I'm afraid I'm not explaining this very well. I'll keep quiet now.  :-[  LOL

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 07:08:02 am »
Nope I totally understand what you are saying :D

I also think like Mid and the other said that the tone of the scene would have been wrong if it was all hot and heavy. But I'd say that Adam and Mercy can generate heat- the massage scene in BB and the shower scene in IK was filled with sexual tension. ;D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 07:09:52 am »
Oh, of course, they are hot, but it is a different hotness than say, Jeaniene Frost.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 09:08:27 am »
You see, I love sex scenes when they are done extremely well. It can be gentle, without going into description; it can be raw, hot steamy sex where it matches the passion inside of the characters or it can be erotic going into the kinky side that suits the tone of the book. I enjoy all of these type of scenes in books.

I agree. I enjoy all varieties, as long as they are well done. Patty has established that her books will not have steamy, graphic sex scenes and I'm ok with that. I have other authors for those.  :D ;D
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 09:22:15 am »
I agree with you guys...

1st, it's the whole "after-rape" and the very 1st time for them.
2nd, I am starting to think that too much details just spoil it... It may be what i read lately but I prefer less details and more feeling in what I love reading....
3rd, from what I have rea of Mrs Briggs... I just can't see her writing in as many details as some oter writers, and I am quite glad about that.

If you read Cry Wolf you will see that in different stories different approaches are required...

So, yeah, I do like reading some sex scenes with a lot of passion and steam... but sometimes it's better to have as few details as possible....  >D O)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 10:08:50 pm »
I admit I enjoy the leave it up to the readers imagination approach.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 10:44:49 pm »
Funny that the tactic works so well for both horror and sex.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 07:23:16 pm »
Oh I agree. I wouldn't want to see those type of scenes in the Mercy books. :)

Okay, I'll confess:  Every once in a while I like to try to imagine an Adam-and-Mercy sex scene as written by Lora Leigh.   >D  Works for me!!  Ha!

But on the whole I think Patty has done the Adam-and-Mercy scenes really, really well.  I think she's great at capturing the draw and pull between them...all that sexual tension and frustration and flirtation.  And in Bone Crossed (and Iron Kissed), she captured the tenderness of their emotional connection.  There's tremendous mutual respect and trust and caring between those two characters, and I think Patty's done an excellent job of showing that to the readers.  I also think that the reserve with which Patty writes those scenes -- meaning that she doesn't sit like a fly-on-the-wall and relate every move they make -- is in keeping with the characterization of Mercy and Adam themselves.  It's not that either one is particularly shy or modest, but it seems to me that they ARE private.

I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

littlebittysami

• Tool Wrangler
  • It's all right to be...
    • Blue Horizon
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 12:37:01 pm »
You know, not everyone wants over descriptive and at most times painfully florid sex scenes in books. I read these books because of that. I stopped reading MaryJanice Davidson because of her characters being annoying as well as her overtly boring sex scenes. I don't need to know where tab A goes,  I have a perfectly good imagination for such things. Seriously if this bothers you so much Stephanie, then you just might not be reading the right series. 

I'll echo the others here in saying that considering the rape and Mercy's recovery, I think Patty hit the right note in telling but not showing us the sex between Adam and Mercy. 
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy all her friends?

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 12:51:44 pm »
I think that Patty will probably continue to soft-peddle the sex scenes.   I know she's tried to write explicit scenes a couple of times, but hasn't been pleased with the result.  Some authors do pretty well with the thirty-page graphic depiction of the act, with all the proper adjectives and euphemisms.  It doesn't seem to work for Patty.

Part of the problem, I think, is that real love doesn't depend on gymnastics or perfect physical proportions.  By putting too much emphasis on the physical details, authors often diminish the mental/emotional aspects.  Making love is beautiful, but it can also be undignified and rather silly.  I'm not saying Patty will never put a hot, explicit scene in a book (after all, that's her decision to make), but I think she's happier with a discrete "fade to black" or less detailed coverage.

Where's my super-suit?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 12:53:53 pm »
I think that the consensus here is that we prefer her approach.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.