Author Topic: Dragon Bones Shirts . . .  (Read 36042 times)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Dragon Bones Shirts . . .
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:48:54 pm »
Several of you have requested some kitsch from other series, and we've been looking for the right piece.  Full color canvases don't work very well for shirts, so although Patty's been blessed with awesome covers most of them aren't quite right for kitsch.

The French publisher L'Atalante commissioned a piece of cover art from artist Amandine Llabarre, and I thought it came out looking pretty awesome.  After meeting one of the editors in France, I arranged to get in touch with the artist, and we've come to a licensing agreement which would allow us to make shirts using this image.

Our print shop is in the process of upgrading to a very high-end printer that should be able to render this image with the subtle hues it requires, but we're probably three months away from actually having shirts.  Also, I haven't figured out precisely what text we should add to the image.  However, I thought you might like to see what we're trying to do.  Here's the French cover:

Where's my super-suit?

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
Re: Dragon Bones Shirts . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:50:46 pm »
That is a very cool cover. I can hardly wait to see what variation you come up with for the shirt.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:29:21 pm »
Great idea!
Esteemed member of the SOOGA

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:50:25 pm »
That's a beautiful cover. I'm looking forward to seeing the end product. :D
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:07:29 pm »
"Patricia Briggs

Dragon Bones

Danger lies even here. . ."
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Talisman Maker

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 02:32:23 am »
I'd do something with Hurog...

Patricia Briggs
Dragon Bones

then one of the following maybe...

Hurog means dragon, don't ya' know.
here lie dragons
hurog, home of dragons

Negativity is not healthy.  Eat some Phish Food and smile!

ruthcatrin

• Grease Monkey
    • Throne Rock Asylum
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:36:25 am »
oh thats nice!  Can't wait to see it in a shirt!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 03:21:29 pm »
That is cool!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 04:01:18 am »
I'd love one in French - or any other non English language.  Just make the ground color something other than clear white or red....

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 02:01:56 pm »
Grrr.  The dark shirt quandary again.  And again, we're losing.

I had asked the shirt shop about doing it on a dark shirt. . . but there's a problem.  With graphics you often run into a problem with anti-aliasing: those pixels along the edges that blend smoothly into the background.  If you anti-alias to a white background, you end up with a whole bunch of almost-white pixels, which look really terrible if you change to a black background.  With purely digital images this isn't a problem anymore.  The edges are usually done as partially-transparent pixels, and the background is a separate layer.  Change the background and those pesky edge-pixels change to match.

However, this was not, originally, a digital work.  It's a real, honest-to-goodness painting that was scanned.  Since it was painted on a white paper, there are lots of almost-white areas, particularly near the edges.  Put it on a dark background, and we can either delete all of the "kind-of-white" pixels, which results in very harsh edges that don't blend into the background at all, or we can leave the white pixels which gives a nasty splattered effect.  So, once again, we have an image that will only work on white or very light-colored shirts.  I'm hoping to get it to work on a "sandstone" shirt, but we may be looking at white again (sigh).
Where's my super-suit?

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 02:20:53 pm »
I belong to a group that recently did T- shirts. Our logo design didn't work on the dark background, so they added a layer of white underneath to make it work. that might solve your problem. (or it might not) 

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 05:24:54 pm »
Thanks for trying Mike.... A light sandstone, grey, cream, anything that isn't actually clear white would work for me, though. But I'd REALLY like a dark color on something....

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 05:34:23 pm »
Oh, I'm one of the many, many, folk who prefer cream or sandstone to flat white.  Not just because it supposedly washes me out (I'm at an age and heritage where I'm rather red of face most times, so hah! to that) but because it's just classier and more interesting than flat white.

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 07:59:52 am »
You too?  When they ask for race or ethnicity.... these days I just say pink.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 07:11:19 pm »
I have the gamut from fishbelly white to freckles to the Irish red.  One of the reasons I don't go in sun without hat & other protection, & I'm very carefully moderate in alcohol consumption.

And that is sooo off topic.
I'd like the cover on a 'sandstone' shirt, I think.