Author Topic: Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering  (Read 187583 times)

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
Re: Bran and Leah
« Reply #285 on: December 22, 2008, 05:41:08 pm »
If Samuel was turned at the same time as Bran then she would not have been chosen by his wolf, and bcs of Bran's mother I don't think there was time for retrospective choosing before Sam's mom was dead. This leaves Blue Jay Woman, whom Bran meets some 200 years ago his first mate that we know of.
I'm bad at math and I don't have my books handy, but I think that's like 1,000 years that he didn't have a mate. (I think he says he found out with Blue Jay Woman that the Mate bond took care of his beserker problem, indicating it hadn't happened before that. Cry Wolf, Somewhere?)
In this case it seems that having a mate isn't necessary. Unless Bran wasn't an alpha until he mated with Blue Jay Woman? hmm, didn't think of that.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #286 on: December 22, 2008, 05:49:08 pm »
He might have been married to 100, 200 human women between the break from Samuel's mother and his finding BJW, though.  It just wouldn't have been a full werewolf mating bond situation.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

The Deposed King

« Reply #287 on: December 22, 2008, 08:09:09 pm »
If Samuel was turned at the same time as Bran then she would not have been chosen by his wolf, and bcs of Bran's mother I don't think there was time for retrospective choosing before Sam's mom was dead. This leaves Blue Jay Woman, whom Bran meets some 200 years ago his first mate that we know of.
I'm bad at math and I don't have my books handy, but I think that's like 1,000 years that he didn't have a mate. (I think he says he found out with Blue Jay Woman that the Mate bond took care of his beserker problem, indicating it hadn't happened before that. Cry Wolf, Somewhere?)
In this case it seems that having a mate isn't necessary. Unless Bran wasn't an alpha until he mated with Blue Jay Woman? hmm, didn't think of that.

So was his berserking solely caused by the Witch controlling him, just like he'd been controlled in the past.  Or was the fact that his mate bond with Leah isn't all it could be, a significant factor?

The Deposed King

jenglows

« Reply #288 on: December 26, 2008, 08:16:48 pm »
So was his berserking solely caused by the Witch controlling him, just like he'd been controlled in the past.  Or was the fact that his mate bond with Leah isn't all it could be, a significant factor?
The Deposed King

I think it was caused by the witch and didn't have much to do with his mate-bond with Leah.  Expect for the fact that the bond couldn't pull him out of it.

I think Anna's Omega effect on their matebond will be significant.  I don't think Bran is going to start having romantic feeling for Leah.  I think the trouble will be when Anna gets into the middle of some sort of nasty business that Leah pulls.   Something Leah has directed at Anna because of her jealousy, or Anna defending someone Leah is persecuting ( like she did Mercy).  I understand that Bran defends his mate at all costs,  but what would happen if Charles needed to defend Anna from Leah?  Would Bran try to stop Charles? Would Bran defend Anna from Leah?  Her being a valued Omega And Charles mate?  Anna is the one that helped him control the Berserker too  ;) hmmm....   :)

Or... even more of a limb here.... trouble between Leah and Anna reduces Leah's value in Bran's mind AND then he meets someone else he really clicks with... and Leah become more vicious in her behavior towards others in ways that could endanger the stability of the pack...  interesting...

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #289 on: December 26, 2008, 08:39:40 pm »

For People who have been tramatized (and I think a 100 year rampage or whatever as a beserker is a symptom of tramatized) things that remind them of the trauma trigger reaction. I think this is PTSD. some things may help with the reaction, or make it worse. unless Bran was mated during his trauma any issues there will be secondary to forgotten as he tries to deal with his problems.

not sure if that made sense...

caerali

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #290 on: December 27, 2008, 03:55:31 am »
It made me smile when I tried to picture Bran's reaction to someone telling him he suffered from PTSD.   ;D

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #291 on: December 28, 2008, 06:04:49 pm »
The Deposed King

I think it was caused by the witch and didn't have much to do with his mate-bond with Leah.  Expect for the fact that the bond couldn't pull him out of it.

I think Anna's Omega effect on their matebond will be significant.  I don't think Bran is going to start having romantic feeling for Leah.  I think the trouble will be when Anna gets into the middle of some sort of nasty business that Leah pulls.   Something Leah has directed at Anna because of her jealousy, or Anna defending someone Leah is persecuting ( like she did Mercy).  I understand that Bran defends his mate at all costs,  but what would happen if Charles needed to defend Anna from Leah?  Would Bran try to stop Charles? Would Bran defend Anna from Leah?  Her being a valued Omega And Charles mate?  Anna is the one that helped him control the Berserker too  ;) hmmm....   :)

Or... even more of a limb here.... trouble between Leah and Anna reduces Leah's value in Bran's mind AND then he meets someone else he really clicks with... and Leah become more vicious in her behavior towards others in ways that could endanger the stability of the pack...  interesting...

Glow I think you may be right about that - I think it Bran and Leah will either work things out with the aid of Anna but I doubt thats going to happen. I can see Bran wont be able to put up Leah for long especially if she acts out. He only does it because of the way he treats her- its also interesting to note the mate-bond between them is not like that of other couples and is pretty close. Its more like a pack-bond than a mate-bone. Mercy stated that other pack members knew where each member was and if they died in Moon Called and its strange there isnt anything more to it unless Bran hasnt really mated to Leah because he hasnt fully opened to and neither has she. Its more of a marriage of convenience or inconvenience :D 
And if Bran meets someone new then that would definitely put the cat among the pigeons!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

danie_SF

• Tool Wrangler
  • This was in my local Scottish pub in Paris
    • This is my myspace URL
Leah vs. Mercy & Anna
« Reply #292 on: February 04, 2009, 03:42:59 pm »
Hi, this is my first time posting. I've read the first 3 Mercy Thompson books and I'm really excited about the 4th one. I was wondering if anyone can explain why Leah and the other women of Bran's pack don't like Mercy. Is it because she's a coyote, or is it because of the Sam thing. Any ideas would be helpful.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 07:10:52 pm by Elle »

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Leah vs. Mercy
« Reply #293 on: February 04, 2009, 03:49:35 pm »
One of the main reasons we (the forum goers) keep circling back to is the fact Mercy can have children and Leah can't. I would recomend reading Alpha & Omega and Cry Wolf, both deal more woth the Morrok's pack and there are more hints on why Leah is the way she is.

danie_SF

• Tool Wrangler
    • This is my myspace URL
« Reply #294 on: February 04, 2009, 03:55:25 pm »
Cool. Thank you, do you think the same reason applies to the other women in Bran's pack?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #295 on: February 04, 2009, 04:32:04 pm »
It could well be, Danie_SF.  Also, as Mercy comments various places, Wolves (without the 'were' part) don't care for coyotes in their territory, competing for the prey.
Another reason would be from/going with the classic sneer at bad attempts at seduction; "What do you call a wanna be wolf?  A coyote!" or words to that effect.  Coyotes, if they have to, will make do scavenging off wolf or big cat kills, and they're lower on the predator social scale because of it.

Nonetheless, while wolves have been facing extinction in the US & Canada for half a century or more, coyotes have flourished, moving into urban areas. . . 

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #296 on: February 04, 2009, 04:38:31 pm »
I think the other women follow Leah's lead, more or less.

danie_SF

• Tool Wrangler
    • This is my myspace URL
« Reply #297 on: February 04, 2009, 04:49:56 pm »
In Cry Wolf, I was under the impression that the other female wolves in Bran's pack kinda hated Leah.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #298 on: February 04, 2009, 05:06:24 pm »
True, I think.  but, besides the things about natural predators, keep that 'alpha mojo' in mind.  There hasn't been so much of it in the Mercy books, but in "Cry Wolf" - and "Alpha and Omega" - there are some really good examples of it; they may not have had any choice.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #299 on: February 05, 2009, 07:41:10 am »
You know, after reading this thread I wondered if Sage was around when Mercy was in Montana. I would love to see a scene with both of them in it. I can't see her following Leah's lead so thoroughly or despising Mercy for something she has no control over.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden