Author Topic: Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering  (Read 184028 times)

jenglows

Re: Sam Cornick: Tri-Cities' Own Folksinging Physician
« Reply #255 on: November 29, 2008, 03:27:14 pm »
Samuel is my favorite. Tortured soul and all ;)  I really hope that he stays visible in both series and finds some happiness along the way.

Carradee

• writers
  • Mechanic
    • Misti Wolanski's home page
Re: Bran and Leah
« Reply #256 on: December 04, 2008, 08:41:56 am »
I believe that yes, Leah loves Bran, and that's the problem.  In Cry Wolf it mentions that Leah is hurt when Bran wakes up from his nightmare and immediately confides in his son Samuel, who's a state away, and not his wife who's in bed with him.  Why would Leah be hurt by his lack of confidence if she didn't love Bran?

And Bran thinks in Cry Wolf that he'd spent the time to find Leah for her selfishness and pettiness, because he was sure he never could love her.  And whenever he starts having affectionate feelings, he shoves them away.  Bran is terrified of his berserker, so he reacts in an extreme to make sure the berserker can't come out of his cage.  My impression from Cry Wolf is that he was the source for the legend of Grendel, and Samuel might've been Beowulf.  And the berserker might actually be Bran's wolf, driven mad from the years enslaved to the black witch.

(I also wonder if the Lord of Night and his werewolf mistress might have something to do with Romeo and Juliet, but that's mere speculation.)

Leah has no control over her mating or her husband.  As much as she wants him to, he doesn't love her.  Remember that ramble Leah has when she first meets Anna in Cry Wolf?  That was how Leah really feels--in competition with a memory, the memory of Blue Jay Woman, who EVERYONE knows he loved, so he's capable of loving, but everyone also knows he does NOT love her.  (Remember Sage's reaction to Leah?  Kind of humored and disinclined to take her seriously?  That has to bite.)

My impression is that Leah acts with such petty control over the pack members because it's the only thing she CAN control.  She also must be very well protected; Bran would not dare risk his safeguard against his berserker, not when she's the only thing that he can trust to keep him in control when something happens to one of his sons.  Samuel's tired of living, suicidal.  Bran has to fear that one of these days he'll wake up to the knowledge that his son and companion for over a millenium has died.

I could see Leah, if anyone ever bothered to contact her with a problem instead of Bran, going to do it herself, quietly, to prove to Bran that she's capable, too.

Of course, who would dare call her?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #257 on: December 04, 2008, 10:02:49 am »
Anna?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Carradee

• writers
  • Mechanic
    • Misti Wolanski's home page
« Reply #258 on: December 04, 2008, 11:32:43 am »
Quote from: Carradee
Of course, who would dare call [Leah instead of her husband]?

Anna?

That's what I was thinking, but that would require Anna to think to do so.  And with how Leah, after all this time and practice of acting like a--erm, you know--automatically reacted to Anna, I suspect Anna would rather call Bran for help than Leah.

...Unless there was something like, say, Charles was captured, and the captors were trying to get Bran, so Anna called Leah for help so Bran wouldn't get himself caught, too...   Hm...

(C'mon.  I can't be the only one to have realized that Charles would likely be very susceptible to those special tranqs in MC.)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #259 on: December 04, 2008, 01:08:10 pm »
Or, it could be something either smaller &/or while Bran is elsewhere, and her Omega thing (protect. . . ) prods her to go to Leah with it.  If it could heal the woman?  Or start to?

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #260 on: December 04, 2008, 01:29:35 pm »
See I dont know - I think Leah's wolf definitely is devoted to Bran but the way she has resented Charles and Samuel just makes me think her human side isnt that redeemable. Yep she may be resentful and Bran should feel guilty because he is using her harshly on that end but he is in a way misusing the bond for his own needs. I wonder what would happen if either Leah or Bran would meet someone else and they find that they are attracted to them or even have strong feelings. It can happen and unlike with other matings their human sides have accepted each other but there isnt any real feelings between them and if there is I think resentment and distrust and lack of trust will be hard to get over even if they wanted it to make it work.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Vanish

« Reply #261 on: December 14, 2008, 08:01:24 pm »
My impression from Cry Wolf is that he was the source for the legend of Grendel, and Samuel might've been Beowulf.  And the berserker might actually be Bran's wolf, driven mad from the years enslaved to the black witch.

If you have read Cry Wolf, it tells you what the berserker is... you just have to "listened" very carefully

See I dont know - I think Leah's wolf definitely is devoted to Bran but the way she has resented Charles and Samuel just makes me think her human side isnt that redeemable. Yep she may be resentful and Bran should feel guilty because he is using her harshly on that end but he is in a way misusing the bond for his own needs. I wonder what would happen if either Leah or Bran would meet someone else and they find that they are attracted to them or even have strong feelings. It can happen and unlike with other matings their human sides have accepted each other but there isnt any real feelings between them and if there is I think resentment and distrust and lack of trust will be hard to get over even if they wanted it to make it work.

If you read the book carefull he is not misusing the bond. Just because there is no love doesnt mean its not a true bond... right? isnt that what Patricia was saying in the part of the book. If I remeber correctly you only need trust and acceptence to make the bond happen... LOVE is just a bonus. He has found that the bond helps with the beast inside. I am guessing (and I think its mentioned in the book) that his beast almost surrfeced after her death and only the bond to Leah helped keep control. He couldnt afford that kind of bond again so he found some one he could trust and accept with out loving making his wolf and the bond happy.

She resents her stepsons for the council they bring their father. Instead of him going to her he reachs for his sons. If she did not care for him or love him I think that she would not feel the way she does or even do what she did in Cry Wolf when he came home that night after the ordeal. I think that right there proves her love and in a way his true acceptance for her as well. Even though he pushes away the feelings they are still there.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #262 on: December 14, 2008, 08:19:06 pm »
It's definitely a muddle, isn't it?  You're reading closely, Vanish; you're surely a true Hurog, welcome!

jenglows

« Reply #263 on: December 14, 2008, 08:46:01 pm »
If you read the book carefull he is not misusing the bond. Just because there is no love doesnt mean its not a true bond... right? isnt that what Patricia was saying in the part of the book. If I remeber correctly you only need trust and acceptence to make the bond happen... LOVE is just a bonus. He has found that the bond helps with the beast inside. I am guessing (and I think its mentioned in the book) that his beast almost surrfeced after her death and only the bond to Leah helped keep control. He couldnt afford that kind of bond again so he found some one he could trust and accept with out loving making his wolf and the bond happy.

She resents her stepsons for the council they bring their father. Instead of him going to her he reachs for his sons. If she did not care for him or love him I think that she would not feel the way she does or even do what she did in Cry Wolf when he came home that night after the ordeal. I think that right there proves her love and in a way his true acceptance for her as well. Even though he pushes away the feelings they are still there.

I don't think his mating bond with Leah helps him control the bezerker.  I think it keeps him and his wolf content not to look for another True Love.  It's his heartbreak from the ending of a true love that pushed him to the border of insanity most recently and I think that is what he fears most.  Losing love.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #264 on: December 14, 2008, 09:13:24 pm »
What I find intriguing about Bran is that rather than being the strongest of all the werewolves...he's probably the most damaged. Which was a twist that I was not expecting. Kudos to Patty for that one!
Hurog Means Dragon.

jenglows

« Reply #265 on: December 15, 2008, 09:34:37 am »
Absolutely, although Sam has some serious baggage too.  That might just be an aspect of their age, more lifetimes to build regret and have meaningful experiences.

Tambayo

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #266 on: December 15, 2008, 09:39:26 am »
I don't think his mating bond with Leah helps him control the bezerker.  I think it keeps him and his wolf content not to look for another True Love.  It's his heartbreak from the ending of a true love that pushed him to the border of insanity most recently and I think that is what he fears most.  Losing love.
If you read the part when Bran returns home, you will see that he uses the mating bond to cage/absorb the overflow of the bersekerpart of him.

Louve_des_bois

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #267 on: December 15, 2008, 11:22:12 pm »
...he's probably the most damaged. Which was a twist that I was not expecting. Kudos to Patty for that one!
Oh yes!  ;D

Freud would love it, killing and eating his Mother, that must damage someone ...  ;)

jenglows

« Reply #268 on: December 17, 2008, 11:18:41 pm »
If you read the part when Bran returns home, you will see that he uses the mating bond to cage/absorb the overflow of the bersekerpart of him.
Right,  I guess what I meant was more that I think his mating bond with Leah is to protect himself and his pack and not a form of  love( which true acceptance is a form of Love).   I don't think Leah's behavior is in any way a sign of love. she is insecure, definitely jealous of his attention towards others (among other things) and I'm sure her wolf craves contact with him but I don't think that is love. Perhaps possession or infatuation....

The Deposed King

« Reply #269 on: December 20, 2008, 08:33:28 pm »
Right,  I guess what I meant was more that I think his mating bond with Leah is to protect himself and his pack and not a form of  love( which true acceptance is a form of Love).   I don't think Leah's behavior is in any way a sign of love. she is insecure, definitely jealous of his attention towards others (among other things) and I'm sure her wolf craves contact with him but I don't think that is love. Perhaps possession or infatuation....

I think she's a person like any person.  But in this case she is a person who who has the inclination to be petty, mean and spiteful when crossed.  I think she would be willing to have a more fully loving relationship of both their human sides.  I think in her own way she has tried in the past and been deftly rebuffed and rejected.  She's outclassed in the social/mental game when playing with Bran.  And as a person who has inclinations to be petty and spiteful I think her ways of reaching out to him have withered and mostly died.  Now when she tries to reach him she does it in unhealthy ways.

Also I think she's fallen back on the worst of feminine behaviors, and at times spitefully campaigns for Brans affections by toying as much as she can with those she sees as having a more genuine relationship with him than hers.  Mercy and his sons.  People who have the love of his human side, which she cannot.

Basically he's got a mate with petty tendancies, tendancies which he has somewhat steered her towards as a defense against her finding a way into his heart.  If she were a perfect long suffering woman who mated with him out of caring for him and the pack, he would never be able to stop his heart from slowly going out to her.  But by finding a person inclined to be petty and by pushing her in that direction by denying her true affection and turning to others he's found someone he can be safe in staying around and not falling in love with.

But I fear that the Omega might begin to ruin all his careful plans.  And for all that he is an Alpha who's presumably known omega's before.  Bran is still the alpha of alpha's with all the preset mindset that comes with it.  Even if mentally he knows what kind of influence she might have in unconsciously or otherwise trying to mend the unhealthy relationship of the Pack Alpha pair, I doubt he's emotionally prepared to be on the receiving end of his own pack's magic as wielded by the Omega against the emotionally scarred shield he's risen against too much caring for his mate.

Bran is used to wielding pack magic as the alpha.  Witches have used something similar to pack magic on him.  But its been a long time if ever since a member of his pack, an omega with all that entails at that, has used the magic of the pack on him.

I forsee our newest omega coming to a decision point in whether or not its in the best interest of hte pack to try and use her powers on teh alpha pair.

The deposed King

The Deposed King