Author Topic: Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering  (Read 188384 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Bran and Leah
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2007, 01:08:23 pm »
I'm just saying, she might have thought about it once, and decided she really didn't want to know. I know in her position I probably wouldn't want to think about it too hard.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2007, 02:56:24 pm »
Well, different folks want different strokes. :D  I kind of see what you're saying.  I wasn't so thrilled with my genetic package OR the process of producing children that I wanted to deal with it, so I wouldn't get all introspective - make that 'don't get all introspective' - about what I'm going to do with the second half of my life -- if I don't get run over on the way home tonight, right?  Being the only walker her mom was able to find, she hasn't any points of reference, so she may have decided that she's not going to sweat it.  Kinda zen, maybe.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2007, 04:42:15 pm »
Mercy could have half-siblings out there if her father's interactions with her mother was his standard practice. 

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2007, 08:37:07 pm »
Mercy could have half-siblings out there if her father's interactions with her mother was his standard practice. 

Good point.  Had never thought of that.

As for the Stephan/Bran walker knowledge.

1) Stephan.  Don't think I'd trust anything he told me.  I think he likes Mercy, but also had alterior motives when he "befriended" her.  I think both he and Marsilia see her as a potential weapon to be used to keep the other vamps in line.

2) Bran.  We already know that Bran rarely tells all he knows (see demon lore in BB).  But while he says he doesn't like lies (MC) I think he is as tricky with the truth as Mercy can be (or Leo, if you want a were example).  I think he could have convinced himself that he was "protecting" Mercy by not sharing the truth with her.  Besides, who's to say that Mercy hasn't asked Bran sometime in the past, only to have her questions turned aside.  I think Morgaine0000 is entirely correct in her theory that Bran probably knew walkers in the past.  So the question is why wouldn't he tell Mercy more about her abilities?

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2007, 02:35:57 pm »
I don't think Bran likes lying, but when you are in any position of power like that you have to be very careful who you tell what.

I personally don't have any spidey sense on whether or not Mercy's dad is still alive. However, I do think He is a lot older than the "young cowboy" were were told about in MC. I grew up surrounded by nick names, I myself have around eight all used by different people, and they are invariably either a shortening of a name, or descriptive of the person they are applied to. I have a hard time believing that a young man would be called "OLD Joe Coyote" if there wasn't something there. If there wasn't some sort of truth in it, whoever nicknamed him would probably have just called him Joe Coyote or Coyote Joe and left off the "old" bit as part of the nickname.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2007, 08:25:31 pm »
I grew up surrounded by nick names, I myself have around eight all used by different people, and they are invariably either a shortening of a name, or descriptive of the person they are applied to. I have a hard time believing that a young man would be called "OLD Joe Coyote" if there wasn't something there. If there wasn't some sort of truth in it, whoever nicknamed him would probably have just called him Joe Coyote or Coyote Joe and left off the "old" bit as part of the nickname.
I don't have my copies to check, Spryte, but I THINK it was 'Joe OLD Coyote', rather than the other way(s) around.
I could be wrong again, as I've been several times, but I pay some attention to the 'indian' names.

DeDanann

• Tinker
    • Pooka's Tales
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2007, 08:52:01 pm »
I also got the impression that the "old" in Mercy's dad's name meant something more.  I'd love to know how many walkers Bran encountered over the past couple hundred years.  I'd be very surprised if we were to be told that Bran hadn't ever met any.

Here's a bit of speculation:  Maybe Bran does know more about walkers than he's told Mercy, and decided not to tell her because he thought it might cause both her and him more trouble.  Mercy seems not to feel absolutely compelled to obey any dominant wolf.  As Adam points out, she has no trouble ignoring Bran or Samuel or standing up to them if she wants to, and Adam thinks she only submits to him when she does because some part of her wants to--not has to.  Maybe the "not submitting" part is due to her nature as a walker, and Bran figured that the more she knows about that, the more she'd be able/tempted to upset the fruit basket in the packs, as it were.  Mercy would love to bring the packs into the 21st century.  Now imagine her as a young girl or teen knowing that being a walker made her completely immune to having to obey the alpha.  She might have done some very ill-advised things, as rebellious youngsters are often prone to do.  As it was, it sounded as though some of Bran's pack were tempted to at least hurt her and it was mainly Samuel who kept her in one piece, especially after her foster father died.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 09:36:20 pm by DeDanann »

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2007, 12:55:16 pm »
Mercy's not completely imune to the power of the alpah though.  I cant remember if it was Sam or Adam (maybe even Bran) but one of them said something like Look at me, and Mercy said that she couldnt take her eyes of him, even if she wanted to.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2007, 06:14:14 pm »
No, you're right.  She's by no means immune, but she's less affected by it than weres, and maybe less than unaltered humans.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2007, 03:05:10 pm »
You are right, it is Joe Old Coyote. But My point was that, nick names aren't given without a reason, so Old wouldn't have just gotten put in there for nothing.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2007, 05:25:30 pm »
You're right on that, too Spryte.  And, if he's as old as you suspect, that may be why it's there.  Or, just as one alternative, it could have been given to an ancestor.  A verrrrry long time ago. ;)

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2007, 09:44:59 am »
hmmmmm.  ;) :D

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2007, 03:20:51 pm »
Is Old Coyote a nick name, or is it a surname?  Not that I know much about Am-Indians, but I thought that sort of name was not uncommon from when the native language was translated into English.  Either way, there could be a fair amount of signifigance to the "old".  We already know there was signifigance to the "coyote".

Here's a bit of speculation:  Maybe Bran does know more about walkers than he's told Mercy, and decided not to tell her because he thought it might cause both her and him more trouble. 

I think your point is pretty much on target.  Plus in BB (I think), Mercy says something about Bran not liking to tell people their limits.  So maybe he wanted her to figure out her strengths and weaknesses on her own.  Besides, in addition to the whole were issue, keeping her immunity to vampire magic a secret probably kept her safe when she moved away from Montana.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2007, 04:49:07 pm »
Urrrrrrr. :: shudders ::  Keeping someone in ignorance "for their own good" SO rubs me the wrong way. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2007, 05:02:03 pm »
I entirely agree, Drakkon.  I've seen some stories where it was a requirement, but it still gets right up my nose.
Two good examples of how it can work out well are 'Sunshine' by Robin McKinley, & 'Talking to Dragons' by Patricia C. Wrede.
Or, for the more sort of middle-ground 'ignorance may not be bliss but it has it's uses' school of thought, the 'Young Wizards' series by Diane Duane has the body of knowledge available to the new practitioners of various species, but in some cases it's a matter of asking the right questions.  The elders just aren't always there to hand you the answers. 
Interestingly, in the Duane books, the idea is that there is some balance.  The young have huge masses of raw power & no knowledge of what they CAN'T achieve, so they do amazing things.  The elders have less power, but can use it more delicately through knowledge & practice.

The ones that really peeve me, to tell you the truth, are the ones where there are answers, or at least clues, available, if only the 'older & wiser' would shut up and let some of the others speak.