Author Topic: Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering  (Read 184006 times)

jenglows

Re: Bran and Leah
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2007, 08:43:52 pm »
I will politely disagree with you here, Jackie.  I don't think we're really talking about how important Mercy is to the Marrok pack, or Bran, or Leah, so much as how important they are to her.  Her formative years & her future, since Bran ordered Adam to come to the Tri-cities & watch over her.
And why did he do that if she's not important to him on some level?

I think Bran asked Adam to watch out for her when Mercy moved into His territory. Adam was already in the tri-cities. MC pg95

I think she must be imporant enough to hate ( at least by Leah anyway), I think that Bran sees her as important to his son and therefore not completely insignificant.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2007, 09:03:18 pm »
I'll have to take your word for it, lent my copies out. 
Just thought Mercy & her trailer had already been there when Adam built his mansion looking out at her & he said Bran had sent him to look after her.  Since I shuffle things in my head all the time, I'm not surprised to be wrong.

What I'm trying to say is that IN the Mercy books, we hear Mercy's voice.  This has had a lot of impact on her.  It doesn't say how much impact it has had on the Marrok pack or the alpha pair there.  If there were to be a book or story written from inside the Marrok pack, it might barely mention her & the way she was treated.
Or, Bran might know/guess that there is something important about Mercy, & that's why he tolerated her & has Adam looking out for her.  And, maybe he doesn't know enough to tell Leah why, or doesn't take her interest into account because of the patriarchal society he grew up in and that's why he doesn't tell her, and that's a big part of why she resents Mercy, along with the fertility issue.  Do I know?  No, most decidedly not.  This is all pie in the sky, but ain't it fun pie? ;D
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2007, 10:37:05 am »
Bran is an enigma. Why he does certain stuff....which makes me wonder if he was something else before he was a werewolf.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2007, 10:47:40 am »
Just having read the transcript from the last chat:

GreyDrakkon hmm, I must be the only one who doesn't trust Bran in the least

Patty Good instincts GreyDrakkon.

I think that there's definitely more to Bran that meets the eye. You can't be the Marrok for over 200 years without some kind of agenda.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2007, 02:56:39 pm »
Just having read the transcript from the last chat:

GreyDrakkon hmm, I must be the only one who doesn't trust Bran in the least

Patty Good instincts GreyDrakkon.

I think that there's definitely more to Bran that meets the eye. You can't be the Marrok for over 200 years without some kind of agenda.
[/quote

Lets see:
1. Bran is a despot. The wolves seem to like that.
2. Kills his friend the Veternarian. It is unclear whether he killed him because he was a threat to his power base, or because he couldn't control his wolf.
3. Can read wolves minds.
4. Deflects attention away from  himself.

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2007, 04:09:52 pm »

2. Kills his friend the Veternarian. It is unclear whether he killed him because he was a threat to his power base, or because he couldn't control his wolf.

I don't think this one is really nefarious.   Bran had previously told Mercy that he couldn't let him see another full moon.  It was also mentioned somewhere that he had already attacked or nearly attacked a family member.   I think the timing was done to fulfill  Gerry's request that his father never find out about his misdeeds.   Gerry's plotting and hiring of witches might have been a threat to Bran, but his father never was.     As for Gerry, if Sam had not killed him, Adam would have. 

3. Can read wolves minds.

It is interesting how he takes great pains to deny that he can read wolves minds, but at the end of Alpha and Omega, he is pretty clearly having a two way conversation with Charles that he does not bother to hide from Anna.     I also wonder if this ability is really limited to wolves.   

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2007, 05:53:36 pm »
Have to agree with Morgaine0000 on the vet.  I don't have my copy of MC handy but I think they all make it pretty clear (Bran, Sam, Adam and Mercy) that if Dr. Wallace had not been such a good friend of the Marrock before his Change, he would have been killed long before this.

However, the two-way conversation with Charles at the end of A&O can be explained away pretty easily by the fact that canines can communicate wordlessly, and we've already seen Mercy and Honey communicate this way in BB (the scene with John Beckwith).  However, I do agree that we haven't seen the extent of his mind reading powers.

Or, Bran might know/guess that there is something important about Mercy, & that's why he tolerated her & has Adam looking out for her. 

Oh, Patti L., I have always thought that Bran knew more about Mercy than he was letting on.  Possibly alot more.  I have no real textual evidence for this but something about the way he treats her has my Spidey sense tingling.  Can't wait to find out if I'm right or not.

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2007, 10:24:42 pm »
I will give you the Vet one..
I think Bran can definitely read minds. Maybe over the telephone. Look at his responses to the phone conversations with Anna...I don't think his comments are coincidences.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2007, 06:08:15 am »
I dunno if it's mindreading over the phone.  I'm thinking he's got an especially strong connection to Charles, & 200+ years of experience to draw on.  And, whatever The Author was hinting at. :D

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2007, 09:04:10 am »
One of the things I like best about Patty's work is that the characters run the whole range from black to white.  And we get to figure out were in the spectrum they might be.  Bran is definitely open to conjecture.

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2007, 01:17:02 pm »
I think someone in Blood Bound said that there used to be a lot of walkers, but the vampires considered them a threat and killed a lot of them.  I would think it possible that Bran had met some a long time ago.  Especially if there were some among the Salish.

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2007, 02:06:49 pm »
I never even thought of that...

Couldn't Mercy just ask Stefan about how long she will live?  Since hes a vampire and most likely hunted walkers too way back when then shouldn't he have some idea of it?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »
I was thinking something faintly similar, but didn't articulate it, especially not as well as you two have done.  I'm thinking both Bran & Stephan SHOULD be sources of information to her, if she
1. thinks to ask
2. is given any information. 

We now know that Bran isn't entirely straightforward (Hey, side issue- Howsabout asking his sons?)

And Stephan may be under orders, implicit or explicit, not to answer any such questions.  You noticed how reluctantly any of the vampires would speak about the walkers of old. :P

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2007, 06:59:52 pm »
Besides, she might not /want/ to know. She might fear that her life would be shorter because coyotes have much shorter lives then humans, and unlike werewolves, she doesn't heal from the damage of age.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2007, 09:35:45 pm »
Oh, that's tricky, Zealith. 

I thought there was something in one of the chats where Mrs. Briggs said something about the "possibility" that walkers live longer than standard humans, with a hint that Mercy's father might still be alive & pretty old, even though she told Mac that (I think that was the conversation, anyway, when she was trying to distract him from eating the dead werewolf/kidnapper) her dad died about 4-7 days after her mom met him.  She's in her early thirties now, & doesn't show signs we've seen of aging rapidly.
And I don't know about you, but if I even guessed that I wouldn't live my three score & ten by about half that, I'd be sure I'd arranged my will, and I'd probably not be worrying that hard about making payments on the garage.