Author Topic: Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering  (Read 184003 times)

rolange

• Grease Monkey
Re: Bran and Leah
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 06:25:49 am »
Very interesting insights. Here's my take.

I think Leah hatred for Mercy is extreme. I also think that it's tied to Mercy having some sort of respect and standing with Bran, Charles, and Samuel while not being mated to anyone. Leah gets all of her power from being Bran's mate and along comes Mercy, no mate, an orphaned pup at that, and...she's treated almost as if she's an equal. Everything Leah has to be dominant for, Mercy gets handed (or so she think (or I think, anyway, lol)) Anyway, that's my take on it. I could be way off base.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 11:42:23 am »
It's probably a combination of things. But I think you have a good point, rolange. That seems like enough reason for her to hate her to me.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2007, 12:52:39 pm »
good point. Leah could be ticked off in part because of what she views as unequal treatment. Hunh.

Here is the part about the Leah possibly trying to kill Mercy bit and the bit where the man who helps get Adam into rm. 1 tells her to be careful.

" 'Do you know where Bran took the new wolves?' I asked, shutting the back hatch of the van. Carl hadn't asked me about Mac - he didn't have a wolf's nose to tell him what was in the tarp - and I decided that Mac could ride with me for a while longer. Bran could decide what to do with his body.
   'You don't want to go after them Mercy,' Carl was saying. 'To dangerous. Why don't you come home with me. We'll feed you while you wait.'
   'How many wolves are left in town?' I asked. 'Is there anyone who could resist Adam's wolf?'
   That was the downside of being dominant. If you did go moonstruck, you took everyone who was less dominant with you.
   Carl hesitated. 'Adam's pretty weak yet. Bran will be back by dark.'
   Something hit the door, and we both jumped.
   'He took them up to Lover's Canyon,' Carl told me, giving in to the obvious. 'Be careful.'
   'Bran will have control of the new ones,' I told him. 'I'll be alright.'
   'I'm not worried about them. You left enemies behind you girl.'
   I smiled tightly. 'I can't help what I am. If they are my enemies, it was not by my choice.'
  'I know. But they'll still kill you if they can.' " pg. 76

*As you can see, not very specific as to who those enemies are, but they are out there, and even a human knows they would kill her.
Here's the other bit.

"I didn't think it was Charles stalking me either. It would have been beneath his dignity to frighten me on purpose. Samuel liked playing practical jokes, but the wind doesn't lie, and it told me he was somewhere just ahead.
   I was pretty sure it was Leah. She wouldn't kill me no matter what Carl had implied - not with Bran sure to find out - but she would hurt me if she could because she didn't like me. None of the women in Bran's pack liked me.
  The wind carrying Samuel's scent was coming mostly from the west. The trees on that side were young firs, probably regrowing after a fire that must have happened a decade or so in the past. The firs were tucked together in a close-packed blanket that wouldn't slow me down at all, but a werewolf was a lot bigger than I.
   I scratched my ear with a hind foot and used the movement to get a good look behind me. There was nothing to see, so my stalker was far enough away for me to reach the denser trees. I put my foot down and darted for the trees.
   The wolf behind me howled her hunting song. Instinct took over when a wolf is on the hunt. Had she been thinking, Leah would have never uttered a sound - because she was immediately answered by a chorus of howls. Most of the wolves sounded like they were a mile or so farther into the mountains, but Samuel answered her call from no more than a hundred yards in front of me. I altered my course accordingly and found my way through a thicket of trees and out the other side where Samuel had been traveling...........
   After the space of a deep breath, he turned back to Leah.
     Leah cringed and rolled onto her back." pp78-79

*Later it also says that Bran growled at Leah, and that Mercy "wasn't to be viewed as fair game." pg. 81

OK. I take this to mean that Leah does not have a problem with Mercy being lunch, but unless she got out of control, she wouldn't actually kill her - because Bran would know. But she would hurt Mercy if she thought she could get away with it.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 01:27:59 pm »
Thanks Spryte - you're much better at finding text than I am :) I  could've sworn I read something along the lines of "it wouldn't be the first time she's tried to kill me" but I must've made that up!

And great ideas, Rolange!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

jenglows

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 01:45:54 pm »
I think Leah hatred for Mercy is extreme. I also think that it's tied to Mercy having some sort of respect and standing with Bran, Charles, and Samuel while not being mated to anyone. Leah gets all of her power from being Bran's mate and along comes Mercy, no mate, an orphaned pup at that, and...she's treated almost as if she's an equal. Everything Leah has to be dominant for, Mercy gets handed (or so she think (or I think, anyway, lol))

I totally agree with this Rolange ;)  Although I think the fertility thing might have something to play into it also but Leah's hated is extreme.  Doesn't she fuss at Bran just for talking to Mercy on the phone?

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 04:03:29 pm »
Ya.  Its kinda like she sees Mercy as competition...I know thats probably not true, but it kinda seems like shes unstable/jelouse/mean enough to belive it.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007, 07:20:52 pm »
your welcome for finding the text. It's all those horrible AP and PreAP courses I am taking this year. If you can't remember what you read and where you read it you are screwed ;). And I thought I read something like that too, but i guess we were both hallucinating.  ;D
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Faellie

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2007, 10:26:10 am »
MC, page 97: "It wasn't until Bran explained it all to me that I understood the antagonism Leah had toward me, an antagonism that all the other females had adopted".  This is after it's set out that female werewolves can't carry children, but that Sam thought Mercy might be able to have children that could be walker, werewolf or human.

According to Mallory's Morte D'Arthur, the original Marrok, the knight of the Round Table, was betrayed by his wife and "made seven years a werewolf".  Not a good precedent for a happy marriage.

(No I haven't read the Morte D'Arthur.  I just picked this bit up from the radio.  Apparently no other mentions of Sir Marrok anywhere else in the text.)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2007, 11:17:13 am »
That's really interesting, Faellie.  It leads me to Shakespeare, "Methinks the lady doth protest too much."  The WIFE was unfaithful & HE became a werewolf?  Mondo bizzarro!
You don't suppose Leah was taking lessons from Isabelle & Leo, do you?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2007, 06:16:32 pm »
The WIFE was unfaithful & HE became a werewolf?  Mondo bizzarro!

Never ask Arthurian myth to be rational.  It's Medieval Lit, rationality need not apply (but it's oh so fun to read  ;D).

I think Leah hatred for Mercy is extreme. I also think that it's tied to Mercy having some sort of respect and standing with Bran, Charles, and Samuel while not being mated to anyone. Leah gets all of her power from being Bran's mate and along comes Mercy, no mate, an orphaned pup at that, and...she's treated almost as if she's an equal. Everything Leah has to be dominant for, Mercy gets handed (or so she think (or I think, anyway, lol)) Anyway, that's my take on it. I could be way off base.

I don't think this is an accurate interpretation of Mercy's relationship to Bran's pack.  I think Mercy was an outcast for most of her life with the pack.  She says that Sam became her defender after her foster father died, and was better at the job.  Which implies that life among the Marrock could be pretty harsh for Mercy. 

I think part of Leah's problem could be that her husband defended Mercy, when Leah viewed her as, at best, an interloper and at worst, prey.

I think any respect or standing that Mercy holds with the Marrock, comes from her defiance, her ability to bow her head and "lick his boots" and then go and do exactly as she pleases.  I could see Bran being highly amused by Mercy's antics, while Leah may view them as an affront to her husband's authority (and thereby her own position).

If Leah is jealous of Mercy's standing, it's because Mercy is able to attain that standing through means that would not be readily usable for a female were.

That, combined with viewing Mercy as a lesser being and the whole infertility thing, might be enough to push her dislike of Mercy into the extremes of hatred and hosility.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2007, 06:20:14 pm »
That makes total sense, and I can very well see that being the case...Hell, I'D be insanely jealous if I were bound by strict rules, while some interloper gets away with everything for a fraction of the cost.
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2007, 06:59:14 pm »
Right, and Leah's had to put up with it for hundreds of years, with no end in sight.  Since no-one has any idea how long Mercy will live, they might not consider that they're making a large portion of her life miserable.  Or, they might not care, non-weres being so ephemeral anyway.

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2007, 07:50:54 pm »
If I had to follow the Alpha's direction...I would be a little grumpy too.

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2007, 08:00:24 pm »
I think  everyone is seeing Mercy as more important to both Bran and the Marrok than is actually shown in either book.   What's been important is the issues she presents - not Mercy.  She feels she is being treated as a child or at best a "little woman".  She is NOT pack.  She is a pest, or a pet or prey. And she knows it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2007, 08:15:13 pm »
I will politely disagree with you here, Jackie.  I don't think we're really talking about how important Mercy is to the Marrok pack, or Bran, or Leah, so much as how important they are to her.  Her formative years & her future, since Bran ordered Adam to come to the Tri-cities & watch over her.

And why did he do that if she's not important to him on some level?

I go back to my comment somewhere about how important cubs are to real, 'normal' wolves.  Only the alpha pair breed, but the whole pack takes part in caring for them, & if their actual parents die or disappear, the rest of the pack will raise them as carefully as though they were the blood parents, even as they fight out or simply slip into the second becoming new alpha & picking a mate if he doesn't have one.

And boy oh boy, does Mercy know she's not pack.