Author Topic: Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering  (Read 184018 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Bran and Leah
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2008, 06:20:52 am »
I just started a new thread on this - since we are verging going OT :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2008, 09:53:41 am »
I also remember Patty saying I think, that in the wild wolves and coyotes can mate, but usually dont or something like that

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2008, 03:30:34 pm »
Wolves typically attack anything canine that encroaches on their territory, including coyotes.  (which is probably another reason why Leah doesn't like Mercy, her wolf sees this THING sauntering around HER mate)   However, they CAN mate, just as dogs and wolves, and dogs and coyotes can. 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2008, 05:47:09 pm »
Wolves typically attack anything canine that encroaches on their territory, including coyotes.   
And felines.  Other predators, basically.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

jenglows

« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2008, 04:10:59 pm »
I think wolves and cougars can occupy the same territory in the wild(or at least overlapping territory), but I may be very wrong about that.  :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2008, 04:58:49 pm »
True, at the very least partly.  I think they *try* to intimidate/drive out other predators above the size of a fox, though.  Up to stopping at bears, of course.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2008, 08:21:42 am »
Cougars prefer more mountainous terrain than wolves (so they can jump on critters from above) so the overlap isn't all that great most of the time.  Depends on the situation, but yeah for the most part if they encountered each other they'd try to intimidate each other into backing off.
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

The Deposed King

« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2008, 03:45:22 am »
Cougars prefer more mountainous terrain than wolves (so they can jump on critters from above) so the overlap isn't all that great most of the time.  Depends on the situation, but yeah for the most part if they encountered each other they'd try to intimidate each other into backing off.

On the East coast near a former land fill re-habilitated into a wilderness preserve, scientists released the last group of red wolves alive in the USA.  The group went form something like 8 members to 89.  Routinely they monitored the population to make sure no other breed of wolf somehow found its way into the area and inter bred with the population.  They wanted to the give the authentic jumping red wolves strain of the species a second chance in the world.  If the line eventually failed and interbred out of existance it would happen but the scientists wanted them up at a minimum number of individuals before letting nature take its course.  Anyway along the way the single biggest interbreader into the red wolf lines they had to watch out for were coyotes.  It wasn't common maybe one or two packs out of 9-11.  But every now and then a redwolf's offspring would be discovered to be 1/2 coyote.  Once a large coyote male actually joined the pack.  They speculated that because of the relatively smaller size of the red wolf, still bigger than coyote's but smaller than other wolf breeds made coyote matings more likely.  Anyway they sterilized teh coyote male who joined the pack and also killed or sterilized all the 1/2 coyote offspring so it wouldn't pollute the blood lines.  But inter-canide matings and even coyote's joining the packs happened in this study population.  That's not to say that dead coyote's weren't found in several of the wolf's territories and it was more likely to be a dead coyote who entered the area, rather than a coyote who joined the pack, but there's my report of a tv documentary with actual real life wolf coyote mating and pack joining.

The Deposed King

Temari

« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2008, 07:57:29 am »
That's a really interesting study, thanks for posting that, King. Great to hear how the cross-breeding can happen with real packs.

The Deposed King

« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2008, 08:06:15 pm »
That's a really interesting study, thanks for posting that, King. Great to hear how the cross-breeding can happen with real packs.

Here's some links for more info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Wolf3

http://www.defenders.org/wildlife_and_habitat/wildlife/red_wolf.php

There is some speculation as to whether its a distinct species of wolf or a grey wolf/coyote hybride species.  Or third that it once was a uique species but has since inter bred with both.  Anyway interesting stuff I thought.  Glad you liked it.

The Deposed King

Lightning

• Grease Monkey
Mercy and Anna
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2008, 05:38:12 pm »
i was wondering if Anna and Mercy would ever met, you know because they were both raped in one way or another?
long live Briggs<br />Alpha and Omaga Rocks  <br />Pity those foolish enough to get between me and the books

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Mercy and Anna
« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2008, 09:51:29 pm »
Unless A&O series takes a major leap in the time line I doubt it. It would be too much of a spoiler.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2008, 03:13:41 am »
I think Patty said that there wont be much of a crossover - but I think she's trying to have both series share a similar timeline because it made things difficult about not mentioning things that have happened or not happened.

By the way I think Anna was with Charles who helped Adam when they went to DC about the tape. I think Anna would definitely be needed to help calm Adam down when he was in front of the committee.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2008, 03:07:49 pm »
The rape tape?

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2008, 02:34:05 am »
Yep - sorry.

I also wonder if Adam and Charles actually do manage to clear that up although Sam did say they were making a good impression. I have a feeling the tape will have consequences.