Author Topic: Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering  (Read 183597 times)

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
Re: Bran and Leah
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 02:23:31 pm »
I wonder what happened to make her so bitter? Or is she just like that?  ???I am trying to come up with some scenario, but I am not having much luck.  :(
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 05:31:05 pm »
Maybe its not really bitterness.  She could just be crazy.  Considering the fact that there were only a few Alphas out of more than a hundred  that Bran was willing to trust a teenager with, I suspect a lot a packs aren't run as well as Bran's or Adam's.  She could have been changed against her will and treated as badly as Anna was but for longer. 

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 06:18:49 pm »
And Leah's dislike of Mercy seems so strong (trying to kill her) that it's got to be something more than she can have children while Leah (and other female werewolves) can't. There's got to be more to the story than that. I hope we'll see some of that story even though Leah'll be appearing in the Charles/Anna books more than the Mercy series.
Maybe its not really bitterness.  She could just be crazy.  Considering the fact that there were only a few Alphas out of more than a hundred  that Bran was willing to trust a teenager with, I suspect a lot a packs aren't run as well as Bran's or Adam's.  She could have been changed against her will and treated as badly as Anna was but for longer. 

For alot of women, not being able to have children is a major thing.  And that is in a day and age when a woman's value is not dependent upon her capabilities as a broodmare.  If Leah's Change was forced, she may be incredibly bitter over her inability to have children and the presence of her mate's children plus the possibility that one of those children could mate with a woman who shares several of her powers but not that one major weakness could be enough to seriously unhinge her.

jenglows

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 07:21:37 pm »
I totally agree Jenniwee

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 08:56:06 pm »
I also agree.  I'd also point out, if you read mysteries, that there are two books by Dick Francis, from the Mystery thread, that deal to some extent with this obsession.  'Hot Money' has a woman who verbally abuses her husband to the point he nearly kills her with broken glass over his unilateral decision to have a vasectomy before they have a son.  And I don't this moment recall the title of the 2nd book, written much earlier, 'Twice' or 'Double' or something of the sort is one of the two words in the title. 
Fertility is of huge importance to both men and women.  After all, isn't that why Samuel wants Mercy?
If Leah, like Anna was changed unwillingly, before she'd had children that she'd dreamed of, yes, she could be extremely bitter.  Or, if she'd had children, like Samuel, and seen them die before her.  There is no chance for her, even should there be a male Walker.  It wouldn't keep her from miscarrying.
And being in hiding, those thoughts wearing grooves in her brain for lo these many years, there's no chance of therapy to help her get over it.
Which doesn't make it any easier for Mercy.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

jenglows

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 09:17:05 pm »
  After all, isn't that why Samuel wants Mercy?
I really don't think that's why Samuel wants Mercy, at least not any more.   

But fertility is a big deal, people spends huge amounts of money on trying to get pregnant and often become devestated and very angry when they can't. I worked with a woman who basicaly avoided me during most my second pregnancy because she was having such a hard time with getting pregnant. And she is a Nice person,  I can't imagine how bad it could get with someone who isn't very nice to begin with.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 01:36:13 am »
Yup. 
At least your co-worker had the sense to keep away instead of hanging over you & obsessing, driving her battier & you into who knows what.  Leah, at least early, probably would have hovered, is my guess.  By this point, she might have kept a little distance, but stay in the background, staring with bitterness/hatred.

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 06:44:36 am »
I like the fertility idea. I witnessed the same situation Jenglows described- the coworker I share an office with cannot get pregnant and it was heartbreaking to see how sad and envious she looked when another coworker got pregnant. She's a sweetheart so she was never bitchy; but I understand that infertility can be a huge issue and a good explanation for Leah's behaviour towards Mercy.
* If there's no dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming. *

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 09:50:22 am »
I still think it's more than the fertility thing. I know that fertility is a huge issue for a lot of women (and men), but Leah's behavior is truly extreme. I'm not sure it's comparable to real life issues. I can see why she'd really dislike and maybe even hate Mercy b/c she could have children where Leah could not, but I can't see her actually trying to kill her because of it. Now if Mercy actually had children and rubbed it in Leah's face, then maybe I could see her trying to kill her. But at remember that Mercy was what, 16? when she left, so Leah must've tried to kill her when she was still an adolescent and nowhere near actually having kids.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 02:08:36 pm »
I do think that Leah's not being able to have children is a part of it, but I also think that there is more to the story. It says in MC that occasionally Mercy's mother would visit her at Aspen Springs, and that many of the wolves didn't like that. So maybe Leah and Mercy's mum got in to it at one point. Just throwing that out there.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 02:25:13 pm »
This seems to me to be an awful lot of conjecture over what is a character who appears in 1 scene where she never speaks and is mentioned only a handful of times.  Obviously Patty has plans.   I would note that Leah has the potential to be both really good or really bad, but most importantly really interesting.

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 08:57:33 pm »
I agree that she is interesting, and I can't wait to see her in the Charles & Anna  books.  Maybe, Anna's presence will make her nicer.  I also don't think there is any evidence that she has actually tried to kill Mercy.  The guy who helped Mercy put Adam in room 1, thought she might - but Mercy didn't think so. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2007, 09:42:27 am »
Oh, thanks, Morgaine! :D  You just gave me a sit up! thought.
Anna's already an omega.  With Charles' money, & the years she's got ahead of her, she could become one H*LL of a therapist!
Imagine what she might do for Leah, given time & access. 

On the down side, it occurs to me that Leah's about the same age as Isabelle.  Maybe the bitterness is an early symptom of the same madness.

And why the heck isn't it afflicting Bran, who could be twice as old?

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2007, 12:18:40 pm »
I recall Mercy making a comment somewhere about Leah trying to kill her. Maybe it was mentioned the scene where Mercy runs into Leah and Samuel and Leah comes after Mercy. Something like "It wasn't the first time she's tried to kill me" or something like that. I'll have to look again.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 06:37:13 pm »
I remember the guy that helped her put Adam in room  number one said that she had enemies who would kill her if she could.  And then later, when Leah was chasing her and Sam stopped it, she commented that he had always been her protector but wasn't very specific.  Maybe there is something else that I missed.