Author Topic: Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering  (Read 180778 times)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering
« on: August 20, 2007, 02:24:10 pm »
We hear the stories of how Charles' mother and Bran got together and how much they loved each other. We also hear examples of how bitchy Leah is. Given that Bran is the most powerful werewolf, why would he choose someone like Leah? Was he ever in love with her? Was it a marriage/mating of convenience? Or maybe his wolf mated with her? Hmmmm, and if his wolf did bond with her, why in the world would it? Or maybe Leah really isn't that bad and we're just seeing her as Mercy does .... nah, if she was willing to kill Mercy, she can't be all that good. Anyway, I was just thinking ... it's odd how nice Bran can apparently be, but how nasty his mate is. Made me wonder.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

jenglows

Re: Bran and Leah
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:33:28 pm »
I have also wondered about this ???, but I developed a theory after reading the history in A&O.  After Charles's Mom died Bran was in a sad situation. His mate just died, leaving him devastated with a newborn werewolf to raise.  Being a bit old fashioned he might feel like he would need a mother for his son and he wouldn't have time to really "date" around.  He couldn't choose a human either, since Charles might have trouble controlling himself for a few years at least.   Maybe Leah was already in Bran's pack (maybe she was the only female in the pack) and he felt that she was dominate enough to be a good mother to Charles.  Given Bran's "abilities" I doubt he didn't sense her character was a little on the rough side, but maybe he didn't think she would be so bitter after raising Charles. I can't really rationalize any other reason for him being attached to such a evil wench unless it was just a necessity. Or at least he felt like it was a necessity.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:44:01 pm »
Oop, here's incentive for me to finish with the chat questions...There were quite a few questions about this, and one answer that Patty gave is that "Sometimes the werewolf makes the choice for the man.". 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 03:46:54 pm »
probably lots of reasons he chose her, 'specially the ones you've given.  Bet she's not ordinarily that bad, either, but Mercy brings out the worst in her for various reasons.  I'd bet she resents how effortless it is for Mercy to change shape & control her temper, among other things.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 04:47:55 pm »
I definitely think that's a big part of it. So far, we've only seen Leah's reaction to Mercy, not to other weres. So maybe when (And I do believe that when is a better word than if) we see her in the Charles and Anna books, she might be a completely different person. And remember, Mercy's presence seems to not be so good for most werewolves' control
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

jenglows

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 07:59:13 pm »
I think that patty has said something about Leah causeing trouble in the Anna & charles series in one of the chats?  It made me think that Leah is just kinda mean and bitter.  Somehting about how everyone knows that Bran doesn't love her or was really in love with Charles mother.  Can't quite remember. I'll see if I can find it....

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 08:04:37 am »
I think that patty has said something about Leah causing trouble in the Anna & Charles series in one of the chats?  It made me think that Leah is just kinda mean and bitter.  Something about how everyone knows that Bran doesn't love her or was really in love with Charles mother.  Can't quite remember. I'll see if I can find it....

that would be great :) It sounds like the most likely prospect is that his wolf bonded with hers. I'd love to know more about that process. Is it always mutual, or is it one-sided? Is there something specific the wolf looks for?
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

jenglows

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 03:48:18 pm »
This is from the May chat, I didn't look at the others because this was the bit I was thinking about. There may be more about her & Bran.

jenglows -Why is Bran's mate so evil? He seems like a fairly stable guy, but his chic is very mean. what's the deal?
MoNyua- Female werewolves are threatened by Mercy. She can have kids, while they cant
Patty -Bran's mate has a problem, because everyone knows that Bran was really in love with Charles (now dead) mother. It makes her a little unstable.
Patty- MoNyua is right about Leah, as well

jenglows- Why does Bran stay with her? it seems like unstable and werewolf aren't a good combination
Patty -MoNyua, I assume you are talking about Leah? She'll play a big role in the Anna and Charles books
Patty -Bran stays with her because she is his mate. And wolves don't leave their mates.
Patty -Or at least they don't leave their mates lightly. (Patty leaves herself an escape route if she needs it <grin>)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 07:12:16 pm »
I'm definitely looking forward to finding out more about Leah. I'm hoping there's some kind of flashback with Bran and Charles' mother. And I do love that Patty has left herself an escape route. :D
Hurog Means Dragon.

Collaroy

• Tinker
  • Le vent nous portera
    • Collaroy's myspace
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 04:00:07 am »
I thought the Bran/Leah thing is pretty intruiging as well. My take on it is that she's only bitchy towards Mercy (as was mentioned in the chat, and maybe there's an explanation for it that we don't know about yet?) and not that bad. I'm having a hard time picturing Bran with a downrigh evil mate- there's bound to be something more.
* If there's no dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming. *

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 09:56:51 am »
Oooh, thanks Jenglows!!

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 01:11:31 pm »
I thought the Bran/Leah thing is pretty intruiging as well. My take on it is that she's only bitchy towards Mercy (as was mentioned in the chat, and maybe there's an explanation for it that we don't know about yet?) and not that bad. I'm having a hard time picturing Bran with a downrigh evil mate- there's bound to be something more.

I agree.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 07:38:30 pm »
Her attitude makes me wonder just how old she is...I suspect she was changed quite a while ago. There may be bitterness there initally towards both Sam and Charles that blossomed when Mercy showed up.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 12:20:49 am »
I wonder if her problem with Mercy is her superficial similarities to Charles' mother.  Her ancestry is partially Native American and she can potentially have children like Charles.  On the other hand, being threatened by Mercy seems pretty irrational.  Bran and Mercy's relationship seems pretty clearly father/daughter like.  And even if it wasn't, I totally don't see Bran trying to steal a woman from Sam.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 11:15:59 am »
And Leah's dislike of Mercy seems so strong (trying to kill her) that it's got to be something more than she can have children while Leah (and other female werewolves) can't. There's got to be more to the story than that. I hope we'll see some of that story even though Leah'll be appearing in the Charles/Anna books more than the Mercy series.