Author Topic: Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering  (Read 187661 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Bran and Leah
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2007, 04:47:49 pm »
Likewise.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2007, 06:55:28 pm »
So, the other night in one of my lit courses, we were discussing Foucault and power structures and the Penopticon, yada, yada, and someone brought up the role of the trickster in Native American culture.  (It fit with the book we were reading).  She was saying how the trickster, which in some cultures is represented by the coyote, lives outside of the society and serves to critique the culture and question those in power, so that balance is maintain within that society.  I go to thinking about Mercy (because in any discussion of Foucault you have to let your mind wander occasionally  ;D) and about how well that discription seemed to fit her.  I thought that if walkers fulfilled this role in NA culture and Bran knew about this, he really could have been trying to protect Mercy from a culture that resolves any kind of critique or challenge in a fairly violent way.  It also explains why she is not terribly vulnerable to many of the magics which she encounters.

Nice insight there, but one quibble.  Just how is Bran's not telling her about it protecting her?  Its a part of her to affect change, and from this, a natural ability.  I think that being more aware that she can do things like that would make her more likely to think twice about using any "power" she has.  I didn't take Mercy as the kind of person who enjoys tossing powers around for the fun of it, but would focus herself as needed (mostly to keep her tail attached to her butt! ;)  )
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2007, 07:50:11 pm »
Yes, but if someone told her that her role in life was to be the gadfly of werewolfville, she might take her role as resident smart*** even more seriously.   ;)

No, really, you noticed a pretty big hole in the theory as it pertains to Bran.  Grrr...

But I still like how the trickster role fits Mercy and her personality.  And her relationship to most weres.

Wait...just thought.  By not telling her how her abilities work, or letting her know how her role in NA culture would have functioned, Bran is able to pass her off to the town as just the resident smarta*** and maybe try to curb some of her more outlandish impulses.  She'll think she just needs to watch herself more closely rather than defending herself by demanding the people of Aspen Springs pay her for her wisdom  ;).

jenglows

« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2007, 09:11:42 pm »
I think I  might have missed the point a bit here ( wouldn't be the first time I haven't seen the forest),  but why would Mercy interpret knowledge about her species in the NA community to apply to Bran's world?  I just don't see the connection there.  Yes, she was living in Bran's lil'kingdom but the Trickster/balancing role is just that - a role in specific Native American societies, not wolf packs. The Omega does that job for wolf packs.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2007, 06:23:36 am »
Big fat guess here:  Could Mercy, knowing she's half NA, have read up on the culture from the library?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2007, 09:53:01 am »
But I think that if Mercy realized why her powers work the way they do (if this is infact their purpose), she would be even less respectful of the weres around her.  Plus there are some pretty big hints in the book that Mercy tried to supress that part of her personality while living among the were, which she might not have done, if she thought there was a reason for that part of her personality.  Besides, I think most tricksters would critique any society in which they lived.

If it was the payment thing that confused you, don't worry I was making a fairly facetious allusion, that only had the most miniscule of references.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2007, 08:41:15 am »
why do you think bran is with leah if she seems so horrible to mercy

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

jenglows

« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2007, 01:29:47 pm »
I have also wondered about this ???, but I developed a theory after reading the history in A&O.  After Charles's Mom died Bran was in a sad situation. His mate just died, leaving him devastated with a newborn werewolf to raise.  Being a bit old fashioned he might feel like he would need a mother for his son and he wouldn't have time to really "date" around.  He couldn't choose a human either, since Charles might have trouble controlling himself for a few years at least.   Maybe Leah was already in Bran's pack (maybe she was the only female in the pack) and he felt that she was dominate enough to be a good mother to Charles.  Given Bran's "abilities" I doubt he didn't sense her character was a little on the rough side, but maybe he didn't think she would be so bitter after raising Charles. I can't really rationalize any other reason for him being attached to such a evil wench unless it was just a necessity. Or at least he felt like it was a necessity.
This is what I think... the only other bit I'll add...  Maybe she is a Hottie? Men can be ... welll, men... when it comes to beautiful women.

Talking_Mouse

• Grease Monkey
  • Never underestimate the power of words.
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2007, 04:09:07 pm »
Possibly, but I somehow don’t see that as the full reason.  Remember that as an unmated female she belonged to Bran because he is the Alpha.  If all that was there was sexual attraction, on Bran’s part, he could have indulged that without mating with her.

However, to give your idea its due, Bran was raised in a time when men believed there were two kinds of women; there were the women that men married and there were the whores and mistresses, and never the twain shall meet in the same woman.  It might have been that he felt that Leah was a marrying kind of woman.

Looking at Leah’s name, she was the first wife of Jacob.  Who was tricked into marrying her when he thought he was marrying her sister Rachel.  She was not loved by her husband, who loved his other wife – Rachel.  Let’s say Leah loved Bran when they first met.  Bran’s wolf looks at Leah and says “Mine!”   Bran the man, who lives in the present not in the past, knows the wife he loved is dead and he is lonely – he’s used to being married, he knows he needs a mother for Charles and he knows Leah loves him.  So he mates with her.

Now Leah expects her husband to love her back the way she loves him.  Bran, on the other hand, does not really love Leah, he likes her but his passion (obsession maybe) is being Marrok, so he can keep his wolves safe. Bran is a wolf who is married to his job.  He spends more time with his sons, because they have parts to play in keeping his wolves safe.  Leah grows increasingly jealous of the time and attention Bran gives to others and not to her.  He loves his other wife, being Marrok, not her. 

Can we all tell I spend way to much time thinking about these characters?  ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 03:50:22 pm by Talking_Mouse »

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2007, 01:41:30 pm »
I like how you bring the orgin of the names into this. That adds a whole new level to Leah's character.

Talking_Mouse

• Grease Monkey
  • Never underestimate the power of words.
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2007, 05:41:14 pm »
Thank you, when I first read the scene in MC where we meet Leah in her wolf form I thought of the origin of her name.  The more our gracious hostess has given hints to Leah’s and Bran’s relationship as well as Leah’s and Bran’s son’s relationship I think she chose the name very carefully.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 05:44:33 pm by Talking_Mouse »

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2007, 02:32:12 pm »
cool background on the name, did you notice any for the other characters?

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2007, 10:49:16 pm »
Some cool stuff on Bran over on the Marrock page.  There's a Bran in Celtic myth. 

Samuel is a prophet, but I can't quite see how it would fit.  His mother does promise him to God if she can only have a son, but since our Sam was born before Bran was turned the fertility thing is not necessarily an issue, so that's out. Ooo, unless the desperation for children is Sam's desperation.  It's 2 am, let me think about this and maybe you'll get a more coherent post.

Cool theory, TM.  I think most of us agree that something twisted Leah, but we'll see what Patty tells us  ;D.  Maybe she is just a big ole nasty.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2007, 01:12:54 pm »
maybe sam being given to god shows that bran coul be the godly figure
but im not sure

courtesy of Has

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2007, 03:42:36 pm »
I think its more likely that its more of Sams desperation of children.