Author Topic: Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering  (Read 183623 times)

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
Re: I Like Leah
« Reply #510 on: October 05, 2009, 04:42:04 pm »
We have no proof that she is. Poor behavior and violent behavior are not automatic symptoms of insanity.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #511 on: October 05, 2009, 04:55:29 pm »
Quite true, although "crazy" and "insane" aren't precisely the same thing.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Mister from Dresdenland

• Tinker
« Reply #512 on: October 06, 2009, 03:09:08 pm »
And Leah isn't?  

That thought occurred to me about five minutes after I logged off for the evening.  LOL

I get the feeling that she could be headed toward crazy, which is why I put in that line about possibly pulling her out of the river one day. She is very high strung and deeply overwrought. And we've seen multiple instances of how brittle older wolves can get.

Her attack on Mercy didn't look like the act of someone who was thinking clearly. What was she going to say if it had succeeded? The fang fairy did it?

deadfrog

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #513 on: October 06, 2009, 03:11:19 pm »
I also tend towards liking Leah. Despite the fact that she tried to kill Mercy. Well, Mercy likes to push wolves and see what she can get away with. Maybe Leah is testing what she can get away with, too. Maybe she knows from past experience that Bran will intervene before she can carry out her intention? It may just be one of Leah's ways to attract Bran's attention.

What we know about Leah is that Bran picked her because he does not think that he could ever fall in love with her. His sons see that Bran and Leah do not match well on the human side, and don't agree with their father's reasoning for choosing and staying with Leah.

But when I think of the scene at the end of "Cry Wolf", in which Bran returns after they have slain the witch, I wonder if both of them feel more for the other party then they care to admit. Bran finds Leah sleeping in his bed, although it remains open if it was the wolf or the woman who chose to sleep in her mate's bed. But we learn that Bran suppresses a feeling of warmth and tenderness towards her, something he does not want to feel towards Leah. So maybe there is more between them than the wolves' mate bond.

Regarding the question how long Bran and Leah have been married. Wasn't it stated somewhere that Bran found Leah when Charles was around 20 years old?

Mister from Dresdenland

• Tinker
« Reply #514 on: October 06, 2009, 03:30:20 pm »
I can't recall it, and I don't see a date listed for their wedding on either of their ID cards. If she's that old then it would lend weight to the idea that Leah is getting a bit unstable.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #515 on: October 06, 2009, 07:13:53 pm »
Her attack on Mercy didn't look like the act of someone who was thinking clearly. What was she going to say if it had succeeded? The fang fairy did it?

How about oops?

deadfrog

• Grease Monkey
Re: Leah vs. Mercy & Anna
« Reply #516 on: October 07, 2009, 08:39:35 pm »
Old and traditional wolves don't even admit that female wolves have any dominance of their own. By tradition the position of an unmated female is at the bottom of the pack. In order to gain position they have to choose a mate. Mercy was surprised to learn that Honey was considered a very dominant wolf before she mated with Peter, and even more surprised that Adam admitted this. So the packs are changing but they are changing slowly.

We know that Leah pulls on Bran's power because she did this when she tried to establish her dominance over Anna. I wonder how dominant she was before Bran chose her for a mate. I wonder if she is bitter that other wolves never saw her as anything but Bran's (irritating) sidekick. Anna is Charles' mate but being Omega she holds a high rank in the pack independent of Charles' position. This is more than any other female wolf could hope for.

I used to think that Leah was ranking rather low on the dominance scale before she met Bran but she may have been very dominant - possibly another reason for Bran choosing her to control his wolf, in addition to her lovely personality. I don't say that Leah is a born leader. But an urge to lead must be extremely frustrating in a culture that considers being female and a leader mutually exclusive.

I currently don't have enough information about Leah, so I withhold judgment. I think it highly unlikely, though, that Bran has any desire to meet someone who can be his equal in ruling the pack. If he did, he would not pursue a relationship. That person would be someone he might actually admire which in turn might lead to stronger emotional attachment than he is willing to risk. I agree with the people who said that he might feel a stronger attachment to Leah than he is admitting to himself.

If Leah knows why Bran has chosen her for his mate, she might even wonder if he would leave her if she became sympathetic or likable. I don't see her going away except by dying - and in that case Bran might actually discover that her death will affect him just as strongly as his first wife's death did. Mating bonds can be tricky. Sometimes werewolves live for years with human spouses, and the wolf part does not form an attachment (Adam and his ex). Sometimes such an attachment is formed without the human part being aware of it (as indicated by Bran telling Mercy that Sam suffered after she left because Sam was not aware that his wolf considered her his mate). Bran wanted a mating bond that stays exclusively on the wolf side - but this is hampered by the fact that the lines between wolf and man are not always clearcut.  

====
Edited to correct the naming mistake pointed out by charmed. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 01:01:23 pm by deadfrog »

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #517 on: October 08, 2009, 08:24:43 am »
deadfrog, a quick clarification: Peter's mate is named Honey, not Holly. To our knowledge, there is no female named Holly in Adam's pack.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

ladylynx

• Mechanic
« Reply #518 on: October 08, 2009, 09:22:38 am »
You know what would really throw the Marrok and the other wolves for a loop? Is bring Kitty from the Carrie Vaughn series into Ms. Brigg's world. She's not really a high level alpha like Leah or Anna or even Mercy, but she is a good leader and would make someone like the Marrok proud of her if she was part of any pack. She has that quality about her that is similar to Anna.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #519 on: October 08, 2009, 02:15:19 pm »
She couldn't be an alpha in this world though. The males are too 'protective' to let that happen.

alan

« Reply #520 on: October 08, 2009, 02:44:27 pm »
Yeah but didn't Mercy say that the were's need to catch up with modern time?  Maybe female alphas are there but just aren't recognized for what they are.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #521 on: October 08, 2009, 03:53:02 pm »
Let's keep the thread dedicated to the discussion of Leah v. Mercy and Anna. If you'd like to delve into a fantasy football-esque discussion of other authors' characters inserted in the Mercy World you guys are welcome to start a thread in the Weres Shared World section.

Elle
Hurog Means Dragon.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #522 on: October 08, 2009, 07:54:42 pm »
I've split off and merged the discussion of the possibility of female alphas to the Werewolf Revolution thread.

Elle
Hurog Means Dragon.

wiccanmoonchild

• Grease Monkey
  • Ruled by the Moon
Re: Sam Cornick: Tri-Cities' Own Folksinging Physician
« Reply #523 on: October 15, 2009, 05:06:57 am »
Just chiming in - my thoughts on Samuel - -

In a wolf pack, a pack forms by a wolf leaving the pack and becoming a lone wolf.  This wolf will eventually find a mate (usually another lone wolf) and then form a pack.  Now couple that with the human side and the need for love, contact and procreation, I think that I can foresee Samuel finding a mate for life.  He is a good guy and I think Patricia likes him.  I think he is in a dark place right now, but will emerge.  I think he may not form a new pack, but will find true love.  I don't think Mercy is his "true" love.  To live for so long and see so much death and loved ones die, must be torturous.  I hold out hope that he will find true love - he's an awesome character!

“Read, read, read. Read everything -- trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it.
 Then write. If it's good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out of the window.” - William Faulkner

kingken

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering
« Reply #524 on: October 31, 2009, 02:17:57 am »
But if Samuel does find a mate and they breed/have babies which creates a family which creates a pack that is moving in on Adams territory... :( ??? do you think he would move back with Bran?