Author Topic: Cornick family, born, married, & adopted, a gathering  (Read 187584 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Leah vs. Mercy
« Reply #300 on: February 05, 2009, 07:43:49 am »
I think Sage was relatively a new member of the pack. And Mercy left The Marrok around 15/16 years ago so I dont think they have ever met. But I agree I think they would have got on really well. I hope we get to learn more about Sage in later books.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #301 on: February 05, 2009, 07:47:00 am »
Yeah I think she is close to being my favorite of the new characters introduced in CW
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2009, 11:03:11 pm »
Back to topic, please! ;)
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #303 on: February 06, 2009, 05:33:17 am »
Maybe Leah's just a...well...just a bitch.  (Can I say that here?)  I mean, I know Mercy has remarked that the other women didn't like her as well.  We haven't really seen evidence of that.  We've seen Leah's behavior toward Mercy, and we've seen some of Leah's behavior toward Anna.  Leah and Mercy seem very different, wolf/coyote differences aside.  Mercy is protective, smart, dominant (but not bossy or belligerent), defiant (without being all chip-on-the-shoulder about it), loyal, decent.  She's not interested in social position, isn't interested in "things."  Leah strikes me as being the opposite.  She strikes me as being petty and manipulative, a social climber -- as much as one can climb socially in Aspen Creek; however, being the Marrok's mate certainly ensures that she's at the top of the social ladder.  She doesn't seem to have Mercy's protective instincts, nor Mercy's bone-deep decency.

I think that we're instinctively drawn to people who seem a bit like ourselves...and repelled by people who are obviously different.  Maybe that's a part of Leah's dislike for Mercy -- they're such obviously different types of people.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #304 on: February 06, 2009, 06:20:15 am »
Also add the fact that Mercy has something that Leah desires- attention and love from Bran.

I think thats why Bran chose Leah because of those traits he cant lose himself like he did with Blue Jay Woman.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

OmegaMarie

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #305 on: February 09, 2009, 08:07:18 am »
Also add the fact that Mercy has something that Leah desires- attention and love from Bran.

I think thats why Bran chose Leah because of those traits he cant lose himself like he did with Blue Jay Woman.

Has I have to agree with you completely here.
I love Patricia Briggs books!!!

Mercy and Adam are a great couple! Poor Samuel

Anna and Charles also amazing couple. (Also the first book I read was Cry Wolf and I cant wait for the sequel.)

danie_SF

• Tool Wrangler
  • This was in my local Scottish pub in Paris
    • This is my myspace URL
« Reply #306 on: February 09, 2009, 12:17:57 pm »
I can't wait for Anna and Mercy to meet. Even though they have a lot of differences, I think that they have a lot in common as well, which is why the Cornick men love them so much, Bran included.

alan

« Reply #307 on: February 09, 2009, 01:09:54 pm »
that'll be an interesting meeting

danie_SF

• Tool Wrangler
  • This was in my local Scottish pub in Paris
    • This is my myspace URL
Re: Sam Cornick: Tri-Cities' Own Folksinging Physician
« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2009, 01:19:04 pm »
Does anyone have any ideas on what happend to Sam in his past to damage him so greatly? I think he was damaged way before Mercy came to Montana and he saw her as a way to end part of his pain, but when she left he kinda lost it for a bit and has never been the same.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #309 on: February 09, 2009, 01:23:01 pm »
Danie, I've just gotten the feeling that he's very old and very lonely.  Has it been established for sure how old he is?  I've figured he's a good 1,000 years at least.  And in that time he's lost all of his loved ones except for his father and brother.  He's seen his wives and children die, often painfully.  I think that would be very damaging. 
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #310 on: February 09, 2009, 01:30:30 pm »
And he also needs a touchstone to keep alive- and although Mercy helps sometimes I think thats not enough especially when he goes through a rough patch. With wolves it looks like being mated helps to keep them balanced as well.

Tambayo

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #311 on: February 10, 2009, 11:57:17 am »
Danie, I've just gotten the feeling that he's very old and very lonely.  Has it been established for sure how old he is?  I've figured he's a good 1,000 years at least.  And in that time he's lost all of his loved ones except for his father and brother.  He's seen his wives and children die, often painfully.  I think that would be very damaging. 
Samuel is Bran's oldest son, born before he changed. Given that he had a son before he was changed as wel, there is probably 20 years age difference. On an age of at least 1300 that is not much.
Patty said something about Sam being tired due to too much responsibility from his high place in the pack. Don't know where the exact reference went (was a recent chat, think one of the ones that crashed halfway trough).   

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #312 on: February 10, 2009, 01:01:19 pm »
 Bran is Samuel's father, but there is 20-maybe 30 ish years of age difference, and they've been alive for more than a thousand years. I wonder how that effects their relationship.

Especially since Samuel is the one that helped his father get back in control all those years ago (cry wolf somewhere). their relationship might be closer to that of brothers...

Speaking of which, Samuel's relationship to Charles would be more uncle like than brother in some ways.  hmm...
maybe Charles growing up is part of what kicked Samuel over the edge. He's closer in age to his father than his brother.

Roz

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #313 on: February 10, 2009, 05:16:29 pm »
My vote is Leah's feelings are primarily a reaction to Bran's obvious affection towards Mercy.
Another interesting thing brought up in this topic is the other women of the packs not liking Mercy. The only reason we know that is because Mercy says it's so. Since this is all from her perspective maybe this is not an acurate observation but the skewed thoughts of a young outcast teenager. I've made the mistake of believing every interpretation to a scenario in the Mercy books until BC where (and I can't remember what was said) Mercy has some reflection time of being sent from Bran's pack. The feel of her musings is that Bran sent her away to remove the trouble (trouble = Mercy) from his pack but getting to know Bran in the Alpha/Omega series, I feel Mercy is wrong and that Bran sent her away to remove trouble from her life. She still doesn't get that Bran had true parental affection for her in her youth (as well as now). I can't help but believe that Mercy just doesn't know better. Perhaps this is the case w/ how other pack members feel about her? Sorry for the convulated thinking. It's an alkeselzher cold medicine night <sniffle>
Roz

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #314 on: February 10, 2009, 07:26:39 pm »
Roz, have you read Bone Crossed yet?

I agree with you that we can't believe every interpretation of the past that Mercy produces.  But what else do we have to go on?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.