Author Topic: Wannabe werewolves & forced versus voluntary changes  (Read 101096 times)

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
Re: Wannabe werewolves & forced versus voluntary changes
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2010, 11:30:37 am »
The wolves also have to tell the humans about the life they are choosing to live and make sure the humans undrstand what they are about to do.(A&O)
Howl more, whine less

Victorymon

• Pack Member
  • It wasnt me this time... I swear!
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2010, 09:37:14 pm »
hmm... wouldnt this be a perfect opportunity for us (the fans) to write down what we think happens? I mean we dont know many things but we got great ideas.
Hey everyone, watch this, I´m an Artist: http://victorymon.deviantart.com/

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2010, 10:09:02 pm »
Generalized speculation is always fine, just no fanfic on this site.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Chalger

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2010, 10:05:08 am »

I always wonder what werewolves who were forced into the change, think about those who willingly change? I would imagine resentment as voluntary changes had a choice, but then I think about Adam who hates being a werewolf and I imagine him thinking that werewolves of the voluntary change are fools.

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2010, 03:24:00 pm »

...but then I think about Adam who hates being a werewolf...

Does he? I know David Christensen does, but Adam???

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2010, 03:50:41 pm »
Yeah, it mentioned it in either BC or SB.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2010, 04:30:47 pm »
He certainly feels he's a monster, but I don't recall if he hates it.

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2010, 05:08:33 pm »
Well, yeah, I get that from him, too, but Adam is also a practical man. There is a point early on in MC when Mercy says something to the effect of it's hard not to appreciate the super strength, hearing, etc., that comes with being a werewolf. I see Adam as an appreciator. Adam was a soldier and it's clear from his demeanor that a life of military-like discipline is, to a certain extent, his comfort zone. I don't think he wastes his time hating what he's become. I don't think he could be a good alpha if he did. He controls his wolf, as all "well-adjusted" weres must. Sometimes, his were abilities come in handy.

You can hate the part of you that you perceive as being a monster and still accept who you are without self-loathing. Don't we all hate things about ourselves? I hate how sometimes I'm more direct with people than they find comfortable, but I don't hate myself because of it. Overall, I accept the package that is me and make the best of it by striving to control my personality's shortcomings. So, too, with Adam--and, I would argue, the same can probably be said about most of the wolves who manage to straddle the human and preternatural worlds successfully.

bj

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:11:00 pm by lostbird »

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2011, 07:30:35 pm »
Well, before, if someone wanted to become a werewolf and they died in the process, they just took em out back and cremated them...  now that the werewolves are out, what happens if someone goes through the whole process, the candidate proves they understand and that they are up to the challenge in general, but they die anyway.  So what happens if their father/mother/brother/sister/wife/husband/cousin/child whoever sues the pack, or else they get accused of murder by the authorities?
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2011, 07:35:51 pm »
Legal releases like hospitals, eventually.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2011, 07:46:53 pm »
Legal releases like hospitals, eventually.

Yeahhhh, well, no legal release is really all that binding...  plus, you go into a hospital sick or injured and they try to cure you, with attempting a change, you get shredded by a were and -maybe- you'll recover.  I just see big problems with it...  I think were numbers are going to go down unless Patty comes up with some real imaginative solution, which I have confidence she will. 

Also, any rogue attacks are going to cause outed packs trouble, people will be suspicious and angry about things in the future.  Life should get really interesting! 

Victorymon

• Pack Member
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2011, 08:24:36 pm »
from what I understand its still a big secret who is a werewolf.
yes, the wolves said: hey, guess what, we exist!
but its still free for every wolf to say: hey, I am a werwolf

its not like people can go to a doctor, pay some money and being changed.
or that they go to a doctor to make a mental test, telling them that they want to be a wolf

most of it is still a big secret. or else the scared humans would start to hunt down the packs. one human is smart, a big group of humans are just stupid animals (MIB-trademark).
and even today, in the age of internet and cellphones, thousands of people are diappearing without any trace

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2011, 05:01:06 am »
I hope what they find is that there’s no NEW way to actually –start- the change with some simple injection or whatever, but if someone is in real danger of death from an actual attack, they can give some immunosuppressant kind of treatment that will make the victim more likely to survive the change itself, if not the injury.  That seems more of a plain ol' medical issue with a bit of a strong will need included.  Besides, it’s more than just some blood serum answer right?  Like Mercy keeps saying about various things, “Hey, it’s MAGIC!”  I sure hope those government types in their labs keep hitting a brick wall because of the Magic-factor!  … at least until one of them gets disenchanted (pun intended) and walks out of his cushy lab job and heads to Aspen Creek with a desire to help the Pack and the individuals in it instead of the Feds.   *shifty eyes*

The thing about the govt being interested in research and possibly trying to control or creating their own version… THAT sounds really dangerous!  Who’s going to clean up the mess when people get changed and can’t manage to control their wolf?  I don't see the government as being able to wrap their heads around that need.  It would be bound to get ugly as has already been said.   Without an Alpha to help them and without following Bran’s laws about making the choice, which he has come up with after centuries of experience after all, way more than the history of this country let alone the govt people who are no doubt so arrogant, they think they can or should do this stuff… humph.  Of course, they don’t KNOW who bran is and how old he is, but that’s a whole nuther thang isn’t it?

Who do you all see as being willing to volunteer for govt experiments?  Trust me, it's really not likely that many military people are all that trusting and willing to volunteer for stuff, there's a LOT of old and cautionary tales within the services about the military using troops for experiments.  I suppose it's possible on a very small scale, which is sort of right anyway, but I think it'd be a creepy candidate. 

Victorymon

• Pack Member
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2011, 05:55:03 am »
hmm... I remember this book from Brooks, there is a story about a group of humans who wanted to become werewolves. they even payed for it. I mean, hey, you are rich beyond everything. you can buy everything... but someday the grim reaper will knock on your door to take everything away... and then someone tells you: hey, werewolves are immortal and guess what, they could change you too

100.000.000$ can be a good argument for everyone  :X

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2011, 05:35:49 pm »
but don't the weres have a system to moniter the new changes?
Howl more, whine less