Author Topic: [Mercy #2] Blood Bound Discussion  (Read 34048 times)

Nifty

• Mechanic
[Mercy #2] Blood Bound Discussion
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:21:43 am »
I have a question about something that happened in Blood Bound.  Maybe Patty addressed this in one of the chats.

Are we going to see more of Kara, the young girl who was turned into a werewolf.  She was supposed to come to Adam, but because of the demon, she didn't.  I seem to recall that she went to Bran instead.  Are we goign to hear more about her? 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:28:26 pm by Elle »
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Mandy

Re: Blood Bound
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 09:02:43 pm »
I found this in the first chat:
jwestberg-Will we ever hear more about John Beckworth's daughter Kara? Is Bran looking out for her?
Patty-Yes. There will be more about Kara -- and Bran is looking out for her.

I knew I read it somewhere!!!

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 02:30:45 am »
Oh, thanks, Mandy...  That's super!

I think she's intriguing, especially in light of the fact that the transition from human to were can be so hard...and that not everyone makes it.  Yet this 13-year-old kid made it, so she must be something special.

I could see her appearing in Patty's Charles and Anna series, especially, for some reason.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

deelite23

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 05:44:58 am »
If Kara ever did join Adam's pack, she'd be an instant best friend to Adam's daughter too.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 02:06:34 pm »
Absolutely! I'm glad someone found that out. I just finished rereading Blood Bound and I kept wondering about her the entire time.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 09:27:04 am »
For some reason, this just got me wondering what life is going to be like for the rest of her family now.  Anna hasn't any, but Kara's got involved parents who have already had several devestating months & now have to send their beloved child away. 
It could just as easily have been boarding school or juvie prison, of course, but it isn't.
This is an even more profound change than if she'd become a parapalegic, gotten AIDS, or was declared the reincarnation of a holy man/woman. 
And this family KNOWS that not all werewolves are benign, not just because of the rogue who attacked their daughter, but because of the fact that they have to send Kara so far away to find an alpha who won't mistreat her.
And he's a reporter.

Oh, there are possibilities here.  (Slow evil grin.)
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 02:18:29 pm »
Patti, you left off the evil laugh.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 07:35:44 pm »
Patti, you left off the evil laugh.
I'm hoarding it for now.  Will a sinister snicker do?  ;D

rolange

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 07:55:08 am »
I find the character has possibilities. I'm also glad that Bran is looking out for her. I just get all goose-pimply at the thought. Sigh.  :-[

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 01:27:45 pm »
Trivia for forum readers.  Blood Bound's second printing is being released, with a very slightly different cover.  The original cover featured a close-up of Mercy's breasts on the spine.  Titillating, but a bit risque, so Patty asked her editor if it could be toned down a little.  The new cover features a slightly different cropping, which shows more of her neck and the bat tattoo.  Her editor's comment was "Blood Bound -- now with less cleavage!".   So, if you can see two bra-cups you have the original smutty version, but if you only see one bra-cup, you have the "new and improved" cover.  ;D
Where's my super-suit?

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 07:14:01 pm »
"Blood Bound -- now with less cleavage!". 

This made me laugh. Heh. I probably never even would have noticed the difference...but now, the next time in the book store I'll compare. :D
Hurog Means Dragon.

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 07:11:24 pm »
ha!  :D :D

Well, in twenty years or so when these books are worth a fortune, mine will be worth more because I have the original Busty Blood Bound.  ;)

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 09:37:15 am »
i love this book sooo much and i can't wait for ik

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

justcourt

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 07:37:50 pm »
I reread BB today and noticed I have the 'smutty' version and was rather excited. ^^

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 07:38:59 pm »
smutty?

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 07:56:57 pm »
Read the earlier posts, Kiersten.  Mr. Mike tells all.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 07:58:37 pm »
ohh aha i see, i think i do to i shall check tonight

courtesy of Has

Rob

• lovebird
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 08:01:40 pm »
whoo hooo!  I've got the smutty version!
Proud member of the Maulers Union Local #182.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 08:06:24 pm »
Please, 'arty'! <BEG>

Rob

• lovebird
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 08:13:33 pm »
Huh?  Easily confused here, remember?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 08:30:22 pm »
Which part didn't you understand?  the <Big Evil Grin>, or the assertation that it's an 'arty' cover, rather than 'smutty'?
And why?

Rob

• lovebird
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 08:40:17 pm »
I didn't get the "<BEG>"

I'm bad at chat speak.  I couldn't figure out why you were begging.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 08:51:44 pm »
Ah.  I'm not really up on internet acronyms either.  But I hang out over at Baen's sometimes too, and there is a variety of dragons & Pervects over there who can show you REAL BEGs.
I don't tend to do the things like ROFLMAO, or IIRC, IMHO, or BTW, either.  I've never 'rolled on the floor laughing my anatomy off' in my life, if I recall correctly, I'll say the whole phrase, by the way.  And if it's MY opinion, it's probably not humble.

Taranis

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 09:19:41 pm »
This is slightly off topic, but maybe if there's enough interest we should start a Forum-Speak thread?  A place where we can all try to figure out what everyone else was trying to say.  Just a random thought, but I know I don't text or frequent forums much, so I'm easily confused by acronyms and the like...   ::) :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 09:40:12 pm »
Me too.  Where?  Whatever?  Introduce yourself?  Chat?   Where would it be most easily found?

Taranis

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 09:41:44 pm »
I dunno...where are the other threads related to language/words?  I was thinking Whatever, since that seems to be the most popular place...

Talking_Mouse

• Grease Monkey
  • Never underestimate the power of words.
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 04:48:43 am »
I was in both Borders and Barns & Noble over the weekend, both stores only had the Blood Bound now with MORE cleavage, ie the smutty version.  I am looking for the less cleavage version so I can have copies of both. 

Has anyone seen the less cleavage in their stores?

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 07:16:44 am »
I was in both Borders and Barns & Noble over the weekend, both stores only had the Blood Bound now with MORE cleavage, ie the smutty version.  I am looking for the less cleavage version so I can have copies of both. 

Has anyone seen the less cleavage in their stores?

LOL!  It looks like the "Less Cleavage" version is just starting to come out.  I don' think there's really any collectible status to it, I just thought it was kind of funny.   Patty signed some books in Bozeman on Saturday, and either Barnes and Nobel or Borders had a few of the "Less Smutty" ones in, which are the first we've seen of them in stores.

Where's my super-suit?

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 12:35:35 pm »
Muh ahahahah!!! Looks like I have the smutty, ehr, arty version too, and judging from all the previous posts, since we all have the more-cleavage version, we were all there stalking the librarian waiting for Blood Bound to be released!!! :D At least, I was... >_____> What? You're trying to tell me stalking librarians isn't good? ??? Nooo!!! Why? It's so funny when they keep watching over their shoulders trying to figure out where you'll come out from this time, and you emerge from a manhole cover and very nearly give them a stroke.
 ;D
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

tmpinsnty

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 04:54:47 pm »
anyone got both covers?  can someone post them so we can compare the cleavage?

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 10:19:51 am »
i have the smutty one - its actually my friend's book and i am getting it myself soon so i'll look for the less cleavage one and put up pics
i would put the internet lingo up in the language section or chat

courtesy of Has

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
Daniel's Ghost
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 07:30:35 am »
Hi! I'm not sure if this question has been asked or not so I thought I would ask it here first. I've been looking around but could not find anything. If vampires are actually dead, why does Daniel have a ghost after Ben eats him?
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

MadMcAl

• Grease Monkey
Re: Daniel's Ghost
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 08:05:35 am »
And who says that vampires are actually dead?
And even if, who says that they lose their soul, what makes a ghost up?

I think that vampires neither alive nor dead, but in between, forever frozen in the act of dying.
And when they are killed at least they will complete that act, finally freeing the soul, for it to move on, or stay behind as a ghost.
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 08:25:35 am »
A possibility, MadMacAl, but Stephan specifically says, when he asks to stay at Mercy's that "I'll be dead, I don't need pillow or blankets."
So Artangel's question is a good one.  Unless the soul remains trapped in the body that's technically dead, since it's still animated in some fashion.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 08:54:27 am »
Hmmm. If the soul's trapped in the body then shouldn't the ghost still show the soul's last memory? That would Andre feeding on Daniel as a human. And I always assumed a vampire's body was animated by magic. Unless of course the soul is "watching" what this foreign magic is doing with it's former body, and can still be affected by what the vampire does or suffers.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 12:37:46 pm »
I think in Blood Bound- Mercy says that the ghosts that she sees are just a remnant of their true selves like Mrs Hanna who will soon fade away after awhile. And then there is ghosts that are not aware of their surroundings but just rehash moments before their deaths, they are more like a recording. But I dont know whether these ghosts have anything similar with Daniel's ghost.

-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

raion

• Grease Monkey
  • Everybody laughs in the same language ; )
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 11:03:33 am »
Well I think that the vampires keep at least part of their soul. Stephan said that he would be dead when he´s asleep. So I think it has more to do with the way they pass. It is unquestionable that Daniel died in a very painful way, so I think that the shock hindered Daniel´s soul form completely passing.

BadWolf

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Blood Bound Discussion
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 03:59:05 am »
Ok, on about chapter 6 atm and just read about what happened in Texas. Now I've always been in the Adam camp (he has less angst) but I do feel bad for Sam. He wants to be a father but just can't get a break.

I in no way agree with what he did to Mercy, but I do think he needs to just have something good happen to him.

And in the UK we are devoid of the smutty or even non smutty cover. But they have a US cover BB in Borders near where I live so now I find it to be my solemn duty to investigate the smut level of it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:08:02 am by BadWolf »
Heroes are made when you make a choice.

wolverine

• Mechanic
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2008, 12:17:41 pm »
i just finished bb.  jeez, Im such a hoochie cause I cant pick at this poiint.  One minute Im leaning towards Sam...then Adam...then uh, Stefan  the whole calling merce to his cage....biting her finger while murmuring words of love in her ear......just put a freaking stake in me cause im just done.....i cant stand the tension withh all of them.  ack 

and i aplogize for my typing  i put on other threads thhat my keyboard is ******  up damn laptops    im trying to fix it but im technically challenged.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2008, 12:20:52 pm »
You could end your anguish by reading Iron Kissed, of course...  ;) I'm sure you'll be satisfied with how it ends, romance-wise...
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

wolverine

• Mechanic
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2008, 05:57:23 pm »
just started iron kissed.......heehee

wolverine

• Mechanic
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 08:24:30 pm »
snoopy.  i finished.  im in love.  i wont tell you with whom.  lol

SisterWolf8807

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 08:47:10 pm »
I really liked this book. lol I really like Stefan though!  :-LOVE

dixiehellcat

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 05:19:49 pm »
Newbie question--just finished Blood Bound & loved it, but am I the only one who thought maybe, since Littleton's ability to alter memories was brought up at the start, we might find out ere the end that he only made Ben THINK he ate Daniel? Or was there some tell I missed regarding that?
Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 05:22:15 pm »
Mercy seeing Daniel's ghost was the tell for me.

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 05:24:56 pm »
With Mercy seeing Daniels ghost and the fact that Littleton was a demon I have no doubts that he made Ben kill and eat Daniel.

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 05:10:04 pm »
Hello, Blood Bound.  ;D

I'm just starting this book and it reinforces why I do not like Patty's vampires. They freak me out! Bad vamps!
Hurog Means Dragon.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 05:17:23 pm »
 LOL LOL LOL
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2010, 11:36:46 am »
Hello, Blood Bound.  ;D

I'm just starting this book and it reinforces why I do not like Patty's vampires. They freak me out! Bad vamps!

You've never read it before, Elle??

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2010, 11:43:40 am »
Of course she has, ;)  she's indulging herself in a re-read of the whole series in order over the holiday.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2010, 12:00:58 pm »
Of course she has, ;)  she's indulging herself in a re-read of the whole series in order over the holiday.

That makes more sense!

Rob

• lovebird
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2010, 12:03:43 pm »
Of course she has....Elle probably knows more about the published Mercy books than Patty does..... :D

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2010, 12:19:58 pm »
LOL

I am loving this reread - Elle is doing it for me but I may join the latter books. Although I really want to start in the beginning!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2010, 02:11:49 pm »
Finished Moon Called last night and Started Blood Bound. Darn it Elle you read fast!

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2010, 04:36:57 pm »
lol...I'm taking my time!

CK! Join me back in the Moon Called discussion thread if you want to talk a bit about it. Love it!

Nifty, yes, I'm just indulging in a series re-read since I'll be traveling this holiday season. Kind of like a build up to River Marked for me.

Blood Bound, I'm right at the place where Stefan and Samuel were arguing over the injured coyote!Mercy. Just the beginning really. Already, I've flipped to later favorite scenes, I'm too weak to resist them!
Hurog Means Dragon.

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2010, 09:37:47 am »
Ok I just finished my re-read of Blood Bound.

I really love the way, Patty has  the relationships growing in this book. Mercy with Samuel, Adam and Stefan as well as Ben.  Oh and Warren with Kyle  :-LOVE

The way Samuel connived his way to being Mercy's room-mate was explained more and had me chuckling.

Mercy getting to the garage and Zee calling both Sam and Adam and her response when Adam wanted to know what took her so long  LOL

Honey at Mercy's garage  LOL  spiked heels and white clothes LOL

Mercy's inner fear of falling in love with Adam, the garage/dojo scene  :-LOVE.

Tony asking for her help as a representative of the PD and later giving Sam an alibi for the hospital.

The scene in Adam's bedroom when he thought she was mad at him. ;D

Darryl's dismay that he isn't as dominant as Warren and Mercy was higher ranked than him.  :o ;D

The way both Adam and Sam flank Mercy for protection. Bran chiding her for not waiting for him.

Adam and Mercy's 4th date, and Sam still trying to hold on to her. *sigh*

I love the way Patty has made everyone so intriguing, not one character is an open book.

I want books about all of them.  :-LOVE 

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2010, 05:26:47 pm »
CK! I finished BB a few days ago but still away from my computer so doing this on my phone, forgive any mistakes.

I adored all those things you posted. Most especially the dojo scene and the scene at Warren's when Mercy and Warren's dominance is established.  :-LOVE

This book really showed for me what it was to be a vampire in Mercy's Universe and again, they freaked me out. I hated Littleton hanging outside Mercy's window and
Watching her sleep. Highly disturbing!!

I really enjoyed Mercy thinking that Bran wouldn't start a war with the vampires over her when we all totally know he would!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:28:32 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.