Author Topic: Bone Crossed - Kindle Version  (Read 7214 times)

RoseHawke

Bone Crossed - Kindle Version
« on: February 20, 2009, 02:37:16 pm »
Any Kindle readers here? I was going to read Bone Crossed the weekend of my birthday (Feb. 9) as a birthday present to myself but when I downloaded it found the formatting was royally screwed up with a couple of extra lines between each and every paragraph. This made dialogue almost impossible to read. I tried slogging through about half the first chapter anyway, but it was just not working for me.

I Was Not Happy.

A polite, but very disappointed in tone, e-mail to Amazon CS produced this reply:

[...]I'm sorry to hear you had difficulty reading "Bone Crossed" on your Kindle. I've looked at the item myself, and it appears that there is a problem with that file. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. [...]

They got back to me quickly, refunded my order within a day and as has been my own experience displayed exemplary customer service. All this is fine, but I really want to read the book and the last time I downloaded the sample (last night) that at least was still screwed up. I suppose I could e-mail Amazon CS again to see if I could elicit a reply as to whether or not the main file has been fixed yet, but my instinct is telling me that if money is not directly involved I may or may not get a reply in this lifetime.

So, anybody buy a Kindle version of this recently?

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Bone Crossed - Kindle Version
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 02:39:35 pm »
Hey Rosehawke-
Mobipocket had the same problem as well- large gaps in the paragraphs and even lines, so I dont think its just restricted to the Kindle. :P
It could be the publisher's fault or it could be them - at least you got a refund!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 02:45:14 pm »
Oh boy, I was so mad when I saw the format after getting the ebook from Fictionwise, via Mobipocket file.

It distracted me so much, and I haven't been able to re-read Bones Crossed yet. I had to enlarge and configure the settings so it was just about 'ok' to read.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:47:47 am by Midangel »

RoseHawke

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:13:32 pm »
I hate that other people had the same problem. I'm so addicted to my Kindle now that the thought of picking up a heavy "real" book is just about unacceptable. Absolutely the thing for reading at the table. Prop it up against the sugar bowl while you're eating your Cheerios, and just poke the next page bar when you need to.

It set me off on a tangent so that I spent the afternoon after that taking the text of an old story I'd done many years ago and seeing if I could format it to be "booklike" since I found out that the Kindle books are basically HTML. Took a couple of hours of internet search to find the proper code examples (not a whole lot of call for it as you'd expect,) but was absurdly easy really. About six lines of code. Short lines. Very short lines. And an internal style sheet. After that it was even more frustrating as I'm a "fixer" type of person and couldn't stand it that I wouldn't be able to fix it. I stopped tinkering with HTML when it started getting rather complex and I couldn't keep up with it since I'd have to re-learn it every time I'd want to do something. So this was very basic HTML involved. You'd think they'd fix it.

IvyBRT

• Tinker
    • Book Reader Times
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 05:46:23 pm »
I had the same problem with my kindle version. I just upgraded my kindle to the kindle 2 and the book is still the same. Plus I noticed that when I went to the cover page there was no Mercy pic. It just has the title and author for the cover. I was very dissapointed  :(

RoseHawke

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 11:04:12 am »
E-mail 'em and fuss. I'm about to e-mail them again as I just downloaded the sample once again and it's still screwed up. Maybe if we light a fire under 'em they'll do something about it. There's no excuse for this.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 11:47:26 am »
Not if you're paying good money for it, there's not.  If it was a book that was mis-bound, the publisher would take it back & replace it with one that was right, and go to the printer over it for THEIR refund, if they didn't print in-house.  Same should be true for electronic versions!
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

IvyBRT

• Tinker
    • Book Reader Times
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 12:03:26 pm »
I just sent Amazon an email. I hope that can fix the problem :(

RoseHawke

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 05:56:37 am »
Got a reply. They're passing the buck.

... We've requested that this title be corrected by the publisher as soon as possible. If you are still interested in purchasing a working copy, please visit the Kindle store again at a later time and see if a corrected version is available.

Oh, well, patience Grasshopper. Guess I'll just keep checking back.

RoseHawke

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 09:57:10 am »
Downloaded a book from the Baen Free Library yesterday evening that had the exact same problem. grind grind grind gnash gnash . . . (Those are my teeth.) However, being as how this one was free, that means also DRM free so I could tinker with the file :). The book still has a few small probs I may fix later (I didn't bother generating a hyperlinked table of contents for one,) but for the most part is fixed now after messing about with several little programs this morning. At least it's readable now.

Sheesh. Maybe I should go into the business.

Tambayo

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 11:56:45 am »
Downloaded a book from the Baen Free Library yesterday evening that had the exact same problem. grind grind grind gnash gnash . . . (Those are my teeth.) However, being as how this one was free, that means also DRM free so I could tinker with the file :). The book still has a few small probs I may fix later (I didn't bother generating a hyperlinked table of contents for one,) but for the most part is fixed now after messing about with several little programs this morning. At least it's readable now.

Sheesh. Maybe I should go into the business.
Could work, i don't know how bad it is now, but even 8 years ago webmasters had problems programming straight HTML. Programs like frontpage and dreamweaver made them ignorant of the coding underneath.