Author Topic: [A&O #0.5] On The Prowl | Alpha & Omega Discussion  (Read 108340 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Alpha and Omega Novella Discussion
« Reply #180 on: May 31, 2008, 07:53:18 pm »
Exactly, Zealith!  Just because you can, it doesn't mean you want to; just like Warren.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #181 on: June 01, 2008, 06:02:12 pm »
Or Sam.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
Re: Charles Driving?
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »
You know the real reason he doesn't like driving?  Sticking his  head out the window is too compelling for him. >;D 
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2008, 02:45:13 pm »
You know the real reason he doesn't like driving?  Sticking his  head out the window is too compelling for him.
;D  Grey!   :D ;D

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2008, 02:49:45 pm »
Hey his brother loved doing that! But I bet he couldnt because he wouldnt want affect his image of badass enforcer Charles :D
Now that he has Anna I bet he can join the ranks of stick his head out of the window ;D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2008, 04:44:57 pm »
The last chat with Patty, someone, and I'm sorry but I can't remember who, asked a question about how Mercy said Charles doesn't drive in Moon Called and then 10 or so pages later talked about him driving her to the train station, and said it was just an honest mistake. It seems like the happy medium Charles has settled into is not liking to drive, but being willing to under certain circumstances.

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

Tanis143

• Grease Monkey
    • My webspace
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2008, 05:36:23 pm »
Just because you are dominate enough to start a pack doesn't mean you want the responsabilities that come with it.

Oh I think Charles would handle the responsibilities just fine, I just don't think he's had a chance to even think about starting his own pack. That, or maybe Bran is grooming him to take over once he passes.
Um, I guess this is my sig.......

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2008, 05:45:27 pm »
Given his age, would that be wise?

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2008, 05:49:45 pm »
 ???  You lost me there, Patti. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2008, 05:52:21 pm »
Oh, well, Charles is already around 200, he could go wonky like Isabella did any time now, in theory.
Although it hasn't happened to either Bran or Sam yet.  And they're older by some unknown amounts. 

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2008, 05:59:03 pm »
Yeah, I don't think prospective madness would be a consideration.  It doesn't sound like something that's guaranteed to happen. 

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2008, 12:32:06 pm »
I got the feeling that the age-related madness started when wolves were a bit older than 200.  Plus, I'm sure it depends on the wolf.

dsgholam

• Tinker
« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2008, 02:26:13 pm »
It might be even less of a concern with Charles because he was born a wolf, so he and his "wolf-brother" have had their whole life to get used to each other. Also, there doesn't seem to be another example of anyone born a werewolf, so it would be the next thing to impossible to speculate on whether or not the madness would affect him. Well, speculation would be fine, but next thing to impossible to know.

"Please don't shoot the pianist, he's doing his best." -printed sign in America seen by Oscar Wilde

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2008, 10:43:29 pm »
Another point about Charles being an Alpha but not having his own pack: As Bran's second Charles is in a position of authority over every other Alpha in the country, and I cannot see them bowing to his decisions just based on his closeness to Bran. He would have to be dominant to them in his own right as well. So Bran is almost forced to have an Alpha as his second unless he wanted to do everything himself, which would be way too much for anyone to handle.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2008, 07:33:51 am »
In MC, Mercy says lists the dominants like this:

1st--Bran
2nd--Charles
3rd--Samuel
4th--Adam

Which implies that Charles is the second most dominant wolf in Bran's territory.  I imagine most Alphas know exactly where they fit on that list.  Plus I think that Artangel makes a good point, Bran has to have an extremely dominant second, if he's going to use him to keep the packs in line.  Otherwise, some Alpha would just kill him when he came to investigate something.