Author Topic: Jesse Hauptman & Samuel  (Read 36343 times)

caerali

• Grease Monkey
Jesse Hauptman & Samuel
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:45:16 am »
Samuel spends a lot more time interacting with Jesse in Bone Crossed.  Granted, there is always someone around (Mercy or Adam), but I think there might be something down the road.  He doesn't speak to her as a child.

He makes her laugh a lot though this scene (BC194), with growls and mock-grumpiness.  He actually speaks more to Jesse directly then to Mercy.  He takes them to dinner, though not where she wanted to go.  It seemed like a compromise.  Samuel is still to dominant to a low her to choose.  It wouldn't be the first time he became aware of a teenager as a potential mate.  He's to honorable to obviously do anything right now, he would wait -- as he did with Mercy.  If he did not, Adam would have some of Samuel various body parts severed. LOL

Mercy once commented on what a patient hunter Samuel is.  I doubt anyone would be aware of him until much later.  Arousal has a sent, after all, and Adam is in the room and wouldn't have missed it.  It may explain the look on his face on page 195, he may have thought Mercy was on to him.

I could be up a tree on this one, but it seems plausible to me.

ETA: Title modified. Elle
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:24:29 pm by Elle »

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
Re: Jesse Hauptman (SPOILER)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 08:07:50 am »
I don't like that theory one bit! 
But should it turn out to be true I hope he dies a torturous death. >:(
:D

Nah, I wonder if Patty would go and paint Sam as the type that stalks children (again?), and nothing else that would be. Isn't that the hunting scheme of a certain independent movie maker. :P
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 08:16:38 am »
I very much doubt this as well- and in the BC thread Mike hinted that Sam's mate is going to be someone from a long lived race. So it could be another were, fae or even vamp which I doubt. I am sure there are other long lived supernatural beings as well- and we also havent met her yet but she will appear in future books sometime.

I just think Jesse is someone who Sam is really fond of and he does love children and has a great affinity for them. In many ways - I think someone raised this in another thread that if Sam and Mercy did get together earlier on then they could have children around Jesse's age. I think that scene where Sam looked pretty scary while he was sitting with Adam, Mercy and Jesse emphasized what he really craved for and thats a family and a mate.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

caerali

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:20:02 am »
Try not to look at it from a 21st century point of view.  He's really old and people married young back then.  He's not stupid and wouldn't try anything now or even necessarily in the near future.  I wasn't intending to put an 'ick' factor into it.  Adam would have his hide as quickly as the rest of us.

But oh well, it was just a thought. :)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 09:18:45 am »
The only reason he approached Mercy while she was so young was because she could shift and still have children. Jesse can't shift and so she's no different from any other human. In one of the earlier books, Samuel is described as liking children - it's mentioned that he would go to the school/playground (?) and play with the children while in wolf form.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

caerali

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 09:22:49 am »
True enough, I'm gonna go shove my nose back in my book. ;)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 09:24:04 am »
Dont worry hon!

I think Jane at Dear Author said a similar thing in her review for Bone Crossed :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 09:47:04 am »
Try not to look at it from a 21st century point of view.  He's really old and people married young back then.
That's true, but people back then also though of women as 'property', and he sure is educated enough to realise that this worldview was wrong. I would expect that Sam as a Doctor won't fall (yeah, I know, Doctors are just as reliable to be morally deprived as any other human being) for trying to get them young while you can still play on their impressionability and forge a emotional dependency. ;)
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 09:59:00 am »
Didn't Mike say we hadn't met the person Patty has picked out for Sam?

caerali

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 05:39:37 pm »
Oh that's true. . . I forgot I had read that somewhere.  ;D

Teagan

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 09:58:23 pm »
I have to agree that it's mostly his love for children that leads him to be so warm with Jesse.  Plus, I don't think he'd be willing to hurt another girl like he hurt Mercy. Desperate or not, he doesn't seem the type to make the same mistake twice.  And besides that -and the whole age issue- I adore her and Gabriel together.   ;D

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 06:14:47 am »
I never got this impression when reading the book. He's just lonely and desperately wants a mate and family. It's a good job that his potential new love is long lived. I think another loss (if he fell in love with another human for example) might just push him over the edge and he's toeing the line.

I agree with Teagan about Jesse and Gabriel - they'll make a lot more, beautiful Sandoval's together. (Someones got carry on the family name afterall.) Makes you wonder what Adam would do?

darklightsun

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 06:10:18 pm »
After some consideration, I think there is a strong possibility that Samuel's love interest will be Kara Beckworth.  We have meet her Father, but have never actually met Kara yet.

Just because all of the Novels so far have been set fairly close together time wise does not mean that Kara and Samuel could not meet when she is older that the 13 years she is in 'Blood Bound.' 

Also, there may be something very special about her.  Everyone seems so shocked that a 10 year old girl survived a werewolf attack.  Maybe she has some special magic about her like Charles' mother had that allows her to fill Samuel's need for a mate.

Heck, just because her daddy has a whitbread name like Beckworth does not mean her mother could not be a Native American.  She may have some of the good ol' coyote magic in her blood.

This might also be a way to explore what would happen if a coyote was changed by a werewolf.

DLS

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 06:17:40 pm »
Now that is a neat idea!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 06:18:35 pm »
Or African American, or Asian, or SOUTH American. . . mm hmm.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.