Author Topic: Stefan and Mercy  (Read 22885 times)

alan

Stefan and Mercy
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:25:30 am »
I think that Stephan has a thing going for Mercy and that it might show more in Bone Crossed.  Not sure what everyone else thinks and I'd like to know but I have a feeling it will play into Adam and Mercy's relationship more than before.

EDIT: fixed spelling of character's name - charmed, books mod
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:42:41 pm by charmed »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Stephan and Mercy
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:14:32 pm »
I tend to agree, but again, Alan, this isn't a worksheet, this is a discussion piece, so I'm moving it.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Stephan and Mercy
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 04:38:23 pm »
He pretty much says he does in BB.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
Re: Stefan and Mercy
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:29:47 am »
I'm not sure, I think he does love her. But maybe it's more like how Samuel and Mercy are together.

And you have to wonder about Stefan and Marsilia - afterall she never killed him when she had no control over him.

PurpleMoon

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:53:46 am »
ok, first I'd like to correct mu vote at the poll, I meant to say yes! lol but clicked no... he totally loves her, he loved marsilia once and he is loyal to that sentiment, he's a soldier, but she did much to disapoint him, she hurted him...but he loves mercy...and Marsilia knows it! I can`t take the last scene of bone cross out of my mind when Marsilia reasures Mercy that she WOULD LIKE to kill her, I belive that has nothing to do with the fact that she's a walker or because of Andre, no sir!

''Amazing who you can meet in an Elevator..''
Big Al - White Witch, Black Curse

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 06:51:58 am »
I can`t take the last scene of bone cross out of my mind when Marsilia reasures Mercy that she WOULD LIKE to kill her, I belive that has nothing to do with the fact that she's a walker or because of Andre, no sir!

I'd agree with this point, jealousy?

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:23:38 am »
I can`t take the last scene of bone cross out of my mind when Marsilia reasures Mercy that she WOULD LIKE to kill her, I belive that has nothing to do with the fact that she's a walker or because of Andre, no sir!

I'd agree with this point, jealousy?

I agree. Mercy brings out Stefan's humanity, which he probably has not felt for a very long time. He loves her for this. Yes I am convinced he loves Mercy but he won't ever approach her, not now that she has chosen Adam. Actually I'm not sure if he ever would have, because of who and what he is.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 07:38:34 am »
I agree- Stefan definitely knows its unrequited love on his end. That scene where Mercy takes his blood was a key scene. He has feelings for her but he wont press it further, Mercy knows it but I think they just want to keep it unspoken between them but they are both aware of it.

I think his feelings for Mercy might be more stronger than his for Marsillia- I agree with Art, she brings out the human side of him which he probably wants to stay balanced. In some ways Marsillia represents his past and when he first became a vampire and I dont think he likes the fact that he is losing his humanity to the inner monster. Mercy is able to bring that part out of him- like Sam and even in some respects Adam as well. She helps to balance them and I think they need to stay whole and not go succumb to inner beasts.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 08:42:55 am »
I think all of that is true.  But Stefan was human during the Renaissance, and that seems to color a great deal of his thinking and feeling.  His relationship with Marsilia is classic 'courtly love' coupled with the fealty owed to a lord (or lady, in this case).  Honor is very important to him. 

I think in Mercy he sees a woman with a sense of honor equal to his own.  And Marsilia's honor has gotten very flexible over the centuries.  Stefan has probably had to accept a lot of compromises to his honor over that time, and Mercy's honor is still pure.  I think Stefan loves that about Mercy as much as anything.  And he'd have no trouble loving her from a distance; in his day, that was a noble thing. 

I think Marsilia sees this, too.  Not just Stefan's feelings for Mercy, but also how Mercy is more like what Marsilia should be and maybe once was.  So she's jealous of both things. 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 10:01:32 am »
When Stefan remained loyal to Marsilia, even when asked to join sides with Estelle and Bernard, do you think that he knew she had some tricks up her sleeve? That this is why he chose to protect Marsilia/Seethe over protecting Mercy?

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 10:38:34 am »
I don't think he knew.  I think that's just how he is.  His first loyalty is to Marsilia, and that hasn't changed.  If his first loyalty were to Mercy, he'd have gone after the seethe as soon as they made Mercy a target.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:32 am »
It would be interesting if he had to choose between Mercy and Marsillia though- Now that would be angst and torture for Stefan but I have a feeling if the crunch has to come he would choose Mercy.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 11:25:46 am »
Stefan has been protecting Mercy from the seethe since the beginning.  He kept them from knowing she was a walker and though it was never really clarified I would bet he was the intermediary so she could pay the seethe by repairing their cars and his van.  Stefan's loyalty has always been to Marsilia and the Seethe and even when he wasn't part of it he wouldn't betray them.
No doubt he loves Mercy but he also respects her choices both in love and actions ( killing Andre)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:28:16 am by CarolKat »

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 12:35:38 pm »
I think in Mercy he sees a woman with a sense of honor equal to his own.  And Marsilia's honor has gotten very flexible over the centuries.  Stefan has probably had to accept a lot of compromises to his honor over that time, and Mercy's honor is still pure.  I think Stefan loves that about Mercy as much as anything.  And he'd have no trouble loving her from a distance; in his day, that was a noble thing. 

I really like this idea!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

PurpleMoon

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 02:08:31 pm »
I agree. Mercy brings out Stefan's humanity, which he probably has not felt for a very long time. He loves her for this. Yes I am convinced he loves Mercy but he won't ever approach her, not now that she has chosen Adam. Actually I'm not sure if he ever would have, because of who and what he is.

Well it's not like he had never approached her, let's not forget the kiss he gave her after she killed Andre, she was not Adam's mate yet, he would have stood a chance then, but he knew Mercy would not forgive him for the killings, even after he made sure to tell her that those were Wulfe's not his.

In BC Stefan was really, really upset, the loss of his people, the almost being able to hurt Mercy thing...and even after that mercy, even being mad because of the deaths, she still worried about him, it was then, with her and Warren in adam's basement that he tried to convince, not only mercy, but himself too that he was a monster, a vampire, he repeated that a lot and I don't think it was only for the others, he wanted more that anything to admit to himself that he was a monster...

Marcilia's carelessness for her 'food' always took on him, because she was a vampire but he did not want to be one, and when he's with mercy she makes him feel like he's not one... He loves her, but I also think that he's a bit confused right now....

''Amazing who you can meet in an Elevator..''
Big Al - White Witch, Black Curse