Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 158458 times)

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2009, 09:58:36 am »
Lol. Zombie pirates now that would have been interesting, after more vampire ghosts anything is possible.

On the topic of zombies - what do you suppose that Blackwood thought Amber had become exactly? Ghoul?

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2009, 10:14:40 am »
I think she was kind of a ghoul - but arent ghouls more like zombies.  I think Blackwood found a way to hold back the spirit from crossing over. I have theory that walkers are able to travel different realms- Mercy found herself in the Fae realm she didnt just sense it or saw it. What if she can do a similar thing in the dreamworld and even the borders between life and death.

And if Walkers can control ghosts- they can stop them from crossing over?
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2009, 10:36:47 am »
I believe ghouls eat human flesh, beyond brainzzz! and are supernatural but not dead themselves, as zombies are.  Where's a dictionary?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2009, 10:37:58 am »
She doesn't care about them herself but knows that Stephan does, so yes, it was for her own ends; this is a peace offering to him that she thought up ahead.

Temari

« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2009, 11:25:24 am »
Just finished the book and absolutely loved it! Although I enjoyed BB and IK, MC was still my favourite until now, but now I'm not so sure.

I thought it treated Mercy's recovery really believably and I loved Mercy and Adam's getting together - there were so many ways that could have been a let down with such a long build up, but I thought it was perfect.

I found it very sad that the first walker Mercy hears about other than herself (and her deceased father) is dead - so she knows now there was at least one other out there, but he's gone.

I'd like to know too what caused Mercy's fast healing - pack link or blood transfer, and if the pack is it permanent and what other changes in herself might she find - other were traits?

I liked the tree appearing outside her window. I'm not sure it's the oakman, my feeling is it's just his way of saying thanks and perhaps putting a marker of some sort on her, a 'this person helped me' type thing.

Very glad that Blackwood is dead, very scary that he'd watched her from childdhood - ug. And thinking of ug, very creepy vampire with the bloody hands too, I wonder if he'll be back and what his story was (apart from being a thoroughly nasty sort of person I expect).

I guess that nasty Lee from the dojo might turn up again too, he seems the type to hold a grudge.

And a final one - I wonder if Mercy will have any trouble from the bones having been on her door for a few days? Some people must have seen them there before they were taken off. I loved Mercy's discussion of it with Tony too - my favourite quote from the book:-

"Our green painter had a limited vocabulary and occasionally mixed up a professional working woman with a garden implement."  :D

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2009, 02:09:41 pm »

I liked the tree appearing outside her window. I'm not sure it's the oakman, my feeling is it's just his way of saying thanks and perhaps putting a marker of some sort on her, a 'this person helped me' type thing.

I wonder if the tree is kinda like giving out a phone number. The oakman said the oak spoke to him, maybe this oak will tell him about Mercy so he can keep an eye on her.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2009, 03:06:06 pm »
That feels more likely to me than the oak being the oakman.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2009, 03:55:25 pm »
the oakman has been stuck in one place for too long. I suspect he has  a desire to travel.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2009, 04:03:16 pm »
the oakman has been stuck in one place for too long. I suspect he has  a desire to travel.
I'm not so sure. I think he wuld want to find a secure place and take the time to heal before he is ready to face the world again.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2009, 04:14:48 pm »
wonder if the new oak tree is there as gift, but what does do for the fae, it is a spy for the Grey lords? Wonder what the trip to New Mexico will be like willit be part of the new Novel or wiil it be a short story?
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2009, 07:00:32 pm »
1.  What trip to New Mexico?
2.  Trees aren't ordinarily nomadic, so I can see him planting himself somewhere.  There's plenty of sunlight in Eastern Washington, free breeze, and I think he's pretty sure Mercy would see to it that he got water, so it might well be him.
3.  If the Gray Lords did nothing for him in most of a century, what makes you think they'll notice he's free, let alone set him spying for them?  I think he's taking refuge with Mercy & Lugh's walking stick.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2009, 07:25:38 pm »
She wanted to go to New Mexico to tell her old roomate about Amber's death.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2009, 07:28:06 pm »
I just had a wicked thought! What if the other roomate is the witch in witch's brew?  :D
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2009, 04:06:29 am »
'scuse me for jumping in after only reading the first page (I take the time to read the rest later, promised):

Regarding Stefan's love for Mercy, I found the end quite telling, it seems that Marsillia does share more than a passing affection for her soldier, she was going almost soft in her concern over him.
I did wonder with Stefan how much is love for Mercy and how much is just a strict personal honor code he follows.

The phone call with Adam, about only the bad guys taking hostages, made me wonder what Adams was reacting to in that moment, his past as a werewolf or events from his past in the Army?
He certainly did, or at least did witness, things that shook his view of the world and himself and forced him to reevaluate his concepts of good guys and bad guys I'd say.

I loved Ymir, the Snowelf. 'twas funny. :D

What I didn't like was the scene between Bran, Samuel and Mercy.
I felt there was to much Show&Tell going on to keep me immersed in the story, I would have liked that part a bit subtler.

The highlight of the book is certainly Adam's & Mercy's tender moment, great romance writing that gave you this warm tingling feeling and I simply adored how this feeling by way of extention reverberated in the scene between Kyle and Warren. They are a cute pair.

Where the book took me by surprise was with Amber's death, I never particularly warmed to her during reading the book but when she appeared as a Zombie I felt actually sad for her.
Funny how a character can grow on you.

Oh, and the usual critique: Me want more Jesse!

I am now racking my brain going over all the long lived uncharismatic females we've seen in the books trying to match one up with Sam. So far coming up with Zilch! I keep thinking of all the female vampires!
To bad it isn't Marsilia, then he could bitch Stefan in the future. :D

One of the things we learned in this book is that as a walker, Mercy could have been denied access to her (one would assume God-given) abilities if she had acted in a way that was not, hmmm..., moral (for lack of a better way to put it).  The walker who had been taken and held by Blackwood was still a walker, but was unable to utilize his gifts because he had killed another man unjustly.  Since Mercy CAN access her gifts, it's reasonable to assume that her behavior, over the course of her life, has passed muster with The Powers That Be.  Obviously the divinity sees and recognizes Mercy's purity of heart.
I found it more noteworthy that Blackwood points out that for him these powers still worked, so that power is not some God given gift but something that comes from within and is angled on your belief in yourself and your actions.

The thing about the line about Marsilia is it's the last line. Why did Patty choose to end the book that way? It didn't bring the focus back to her relationship with Adam or Sam. It didn't bring it back to anything to do with the pack. The line could have been followed with something, but it wasn't. What was the reason the meeting even took place? We already knew what was in the letter.  The meeting didn't have to be written. Then we would have been left with Mercy reconnecting with Adam as the ending.
That last line did remind of the way (sorry for the OT comparision) a Punisher Graphic novel ended, with the Punisher saying to himself and a rape victim that died in revenge spree:
"I wish I could kill them all for you."
The line sums up the Punisher and his motivation perfectly.

Back On-Topic: Mercy is speaking from a point where Marsilia did hurt one of Mercy's extended family in the worst way possible, and she knows that Stephan can't kill Marsilia, he would much rather die if it came to that.
So it most probably is just a wish statement, it is just a "I would kill you if I could".
Though we know that Mercy is not willing to kill unprovoked, and not only for fear to lose her abilities, and just as the Punisher must accept that he can't stop evil from happening, Mercy is simply anknowledging to herself what she wishes for but can't possibly accomplish.

I believe ghouls eat human flesh, beyond brainzzz! and are supernatural but not dead themselves, as zombies are.  Where's a dictionary?
Not quite sure but I thing Ghouls are regularly referred to as corpse eaters, Zombies are classic, magically created work slaves, so Amber was certainly closer to being a Zombie than to being a Ghoul, IMO.

Thought the same. :)

Very glad that Blackwood is dead, very scary that he'd watched her from childdhood - ug. And thinking of ug, very creepy vampire with the bloody hands too, I wonder if he'll be back and what his story was (apart from being a thoroughly nasty sort of person I expect).
I so had Viktor from Underworld before my minds eye when he stood up. :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:17:26 am by Gerd D. »
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2009, 03:39:09 pm »

One of the things we learned in this book is that as a walker, Mercy could have been denied access to her (one would assume God-given) abilities if she had acted in a way that was not, hmmm..., moral (for lack of a better way to put it).  The walker who had been taken and held by Blackwood was still a walker, but was unable to utilize his gifts because he had killed another man unjustly.  Since Mercy CAN access her gifts, it's reasonable to assume that her behavior, over the course of her life, has passed muster with The Powers That Be.  Obviously the divinity sees and recognizes Mercy's purity of heart.
I found it more noteworthy that Blackwood points out that for him these powers still worked, so that power is not some God given gift but something that comes from within and is angled on your belief in yourself and your actions.

Ah, the powers themselves are inharent. But that doesn't mean he could use them. Blackwood could use any inharent magic, presumably, if the Indian hadn't trained his powers Blackwood would have still been able to use them. So it may be karma, it may just be subconcous guilt.