Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 155243 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2009, 10:01:49 pm »
Not saying no more. :-X
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2009, 11:18:27 pm »
Opps, thanks for catching that Patti.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2009, 11:35:51 pm »
I may just be more sensitized to it.  We about fell over after our mom died when our half sister by her showed up.

She couldn't find our mom while Momma was alive, because the half sister had been looking for her under her maiden name.

But she has (unlike the rest of us, curiously) the "Stark" nose that Momma & her sisters got.

So the half sisters were apt to have been floored when Mercy showed up on Momma's doorstep.

caerali

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2009, 04:49:52 am »
The last line was very telling. When Marsilia says she wishes she could kill Mercy, her response is "right back atcha" with no moral correction, unlike other places in the book. How much better would Mercy's life be with Marsilia dead? Will Mercy be given an opportunity to do kill Marsilia? Will she take it?

I took this scene as a bluff on Mercy's part, due to being raised by wolves.  The 'show no fear' sort of thing.  Marsilia standing alone at her door was enough opportunity if Mercy had been inclined to.  She had the high ground.  I have no doubt it will happen though.  Mercy seems to only kill those who directly threaten her life and I can't place a point where Marsilia had done so.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2009, 09:26:32 am »
I always took that as an emotional rather than intentional statement.  Both want the other dead.  Marsilia won't do it because of seethe politics and rules.
Mercy won't do it, as everyone else is saying, because she's got the moral & legal issues, plus, yes, Marsilia hasn't directly attacked her or any of her loved ones/those under HER protection, such as it was - not 'is', not now, but was. 
It's, to my mind, something like the difference between conspiracy to commit murder and first degree murder.  Mercy's watching against the conspiracy turning to action, but not willing to mete out the death penalty on it as she would have done for someone - like Andre - caught in the act.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2009, 09:32:14 am »
You know what might be really interesting if something does crop up between them - which side will Stefan end up. But I think that creep vampire who was Bernard's master might turn up again. I could see him planning to take over the Seethe - it looked like he kind of instigated that especially when he viewed Marsillia as being weak and getting rid of the stronger members like Andre and Stefan.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2009, 09:38:51 am »
Well, as Mercy said, Marsilia's 'bug-nuts', and even paying attention again, not up to date on vampire politics world wide.  I think she's painting herself into a corner, reacting rather than acting, because she doesn't know what else is going on, and the fast pace of the modern world is beyond her grasp

Additionally, I think the fact that some of the fae have come out, and the werewolves now, puts her in a delicate position.  I really don't think it's going to be long until someone with a big enough 'voice'/power to be heard pipes up with "If fae & werewolves exist, vampires probably do to; what are we going to do about it/them?"
And then the fat will be in the fire.

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2009, 10:20:06 am »
Marsila is a enigma to me, even after reading it twice I can't tell if she really planned all that, or if a lot of it was coincidence she said she did just to make herself look good. Making the best of a bad situation.

I also don't see Mercy randomly killing Marsila for simple spite factor.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

lunasea

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2009, 10:43:11 am »
The thing about the line about Marsilia is it's the last line. Why did Patty choose to end the book that way? It didn't bring the focus back to her relationship with Adam or Sam. It didn't bring it back to anything to do with the pack. The line could have been followed with something, but it wasn't. What was the reason the meeting even took place? We already knew what was in the letter.  The meeting didn't have to be written. Then we would have been left with Mercy reconnecting with Adam as the ending.

Unless we look at the book thematically. Marsilia's speech brings us back to the theme of sacrifice, but it is Marsilia making the speech about Stefan. Thematically it works, but the last part of the book is usually about the hero, so how does that last passage relate to Mercy?

Writing my own novel has made me sensitive to things like first and last lines of chapters and books and the order things are presented. Those are things writers spend a great deal of time on. When the perfect line lets itself be knows, bells go off. Even if the writer doesn't know why they are, they do. What made bells go off about that line?

franken_stein

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2009, 07:16:05 pm »
Aghhh, what a great - and also horrible - time for me to get into this series! I JUST discovered Patty's books this past month and I've been going through them as fast as I could. I was excited to find out that a new one was just about to be released, and I ended up buying Bone Crossed when I was almost done with Iron Kissed. Then as SOON as I finished IK, I went straight into BC. (That was awesome, because it picked up right where IK left off!) So yeah, I read all four books without much pause in between, because they were that good. Aughh! But NOW what am I going to do?!

I'm going to give this thread a more careful read, but I'm happy to see there are others who loved Stefan in this book too! He's been one of my favorite characters since book 1 and I was feeling a little bit like he doesn't get enough love. I love Mercy, Adam, Sam, Warren, Kyle... but I want more Stefan!

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2009, 07:21:32 pm »
What are you going to do now? Read Alpha and Omega and Cry Wolf of course!

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2009, 07:22:19 pm »
Welcome to the boards franken_stein! We all try to cope by speculating like crazy on the next books or discussing the published ones. We also play any number of games and push other authors on unsuspecting (or not) newbies. So watch out!  :o
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

franken_stein

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2009, 07:25:50 pm »
Welcome to the boards franken_stein! We all try to cope by speculating like crazy on the next books or discussing the published ones. We also play any number of games and push other authors on unsuspecting (or not) newbies. So watch out!  :o

Aw, thanks for the welcome! I actually made an intro post a couple of weeks ago but it was wiped when there was the server glitch, so this is kind of a newish account.

Oh, and Zealith - I certainly will move on to Cry Wolf now! I've been meaning to, I was going to get to it as soon as IK was done but I didn't finish it before BC came out.

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2009, 07:39:24 pm »
After your done Cry Wolf, there is always Patty's other books! Dragon's Bones and Dragon's Blood, Raven's Shadow and Raven's Strike!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2009, 07:41:57 pm »
On topic; I noticed that in the ARC, Charles was referred to as "Samuel's oldest son".
Well, Samuel is his brother, as we know, and that got fixed, but it's still glitched in this edition; it now says "Samuel's OLDER brother" or "Bran's OLDEST son", and we know that Samuel is a good - millennium older than Charles.

And "When Demons Walk" "Steal the Dragon" and "Hob's Bargain".