Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 158939 times)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2009, 04:11:48 pm »
Spoilerish Reassurance???   ???

If you'll pardon my slight failure of diplomacy, NOTHING she could write could keep all the fans happy.  Forcing a happily ever after on everyone isn't realistic.  Sam's been through heck, and frankly, without an anchor of some sort, is probably going to end up on Charles'  "to-do" list, which would lead to all sorts of drama and angst, but probably not make an enjoyable story.  Some fans are going to be upset that the ultimate "Lone Wolf" got tied down, and complain that it's pandering to the myth that couples are happier.  Some fans are going to be upset with WHO he ends up with, because she's not necessarily the most charismatic being out there.  Some folks are going to whine if they CAN have kids, and others will complain if they CAN'T.   Heck, there's going to be some readers who are upset that he's getting together with a WOMAN.  So, Patty will tell the story HER way, but since that doesn't involve Charles hunting and killing his older brother, Sam's going to to have to find a reason to embrace life again, and TRUE LOVE fits that bill better than just about anything else.   

Hope I haven't ruined the story -- Patty will tell this with a LOT more sensitivity than I did, and she's pretty good about hiding the fact that events often happen based on what makes a more enjoyable story.   And now, I'm going to go play somewhere else, before I get slapped with a hot waffle iron.
Where's my super-suit?

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2009, 04:29:44 pm »
But I wanted Sam for MYSELF ....  ::)! <evil cackle>
Esteemed member of the SOOGA

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2009, 04:48:17 pm »
That's alright, you can go ahead and pretend who ever he ends up with is you. :b

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2009, 05:51:45 pm »
Oh, Mike, you didn't ruin anything. Now I'm looking forward to seeing who it is! ;)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2009, 06:29:09 pm »
Huuum, some interesting insights in this read. I don't have much to add, but maybe just some thoughts about Mercy. At the end of this book she is quite a bit more formidable then she was before I think. She learned of her ability to command ghosts as a walker. She also gained the mate bond with Adam as well as the pack bond. I am not sure how much power she can draw on through it, not being a Were. But she is the mate of the Alpha so that might have some crossover to her.

I am now racking my brain going over all the long lived uncharismatic females we've seen in the books trying to match one up with Sam. So far coming up with Zilch! I keep thinking of all the female vampires!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2009, 06:33:52 pm »
Maybe it's Lilly the crazy vamp?  ::)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2009, 06:39:21 pm »
Mike, you just made my day! I know it must be really frustrating for Patty that no matter what she writes someone is always going to be upset that she did not write her story their way ::). I love your post, it was to the point. Love it  :)

My first thought was Baba ::), maybe it was the uncharismatic part. I liked her though. Maybe I'm just being hysterical from lack of sleep ;D
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2009, 06:41:57 pm »
 :D I she uncharismatic though? A little crazy, but she came off as nice crazy!

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Fae though. If the possibility of kids is there, it can't be a Were then... I am just thinking here, but I am gonna think hard about all the Fae we know about.

Baba though? Would be interesting to see how they met and courted!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2009, 07:01:14 pm »
OK, just to keep from burning too many brain cells.  Sam's lady hasn't yet shown up in any of the books.  I'm not sure WHEN the stars are going to line up for poor Samuel, only that they will.  Some plot threads are very sketchy going forward, and some are pretty firm.  The how and why (and possibly even the who) are still very lightly drawn, so it's no use getting too worked up.  Even Patty couldn't give you much more than I've already blabbed, and she may change her mind about the timing and details several times yet.

I just wanted to acknowledge that Sam needs a bit of good news on the romance front eventually to prevent a very ugly descent into despondency and madness.  Since he deserves better than that, consider the fairy godmother duly summoned, with her magic wand fully charged.
Where's my super-suit?

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2009, 07:08:58 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up Mike! Now I won't have to worry about cerebral hemorrhage tomorrow at work when I get bored and my thoughts start to wander! :D

It's good to know Patty hasn't forgotten about Sam! I was getting worried about him. *bows* Thanks for the inside info Mike!

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2009, 07:41:06 pm »
Although, if Patty's looking for ideas, we've been batting about ideas for Samuel to have crossover nookie with ladies from other series.  ;) ;D :P

mystify

• Mechanic
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2009, 08:18:00 pm »
I finished the book today and I thought it was great. I don't know if I can explain this very well, but I love the way Patty tells stories and after not reading a book of hers for so long, this story was something new and yet so familiar at the same time. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Anyway, it was a great book and well worth the hard cover price even though I'm pretty sure I will also be buying it in paperback too because I can take those in my bag a lot easier and this entire series is on my keeper shelf. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of this series.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2009, 08:48:13 pm »
I have to say it's just a relief to me to know that there is someone out there for Sam. That makes me happy.

I got my copy today and it's gorgeous! I didn't think I could love Adam anymore but I do, but I adored him in BC. I think he and Mercy are a great fit and the most telling of that to me was his comment about her making him laugh. He needs that and she needs the security that comes from knowing he loves her.

Best line for me: Like Napoleon trying to take over Russia.

The image that invoked was priceless.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:02:17 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2009, 09:59:09 pm »
I loved "I'll spy your little eye and squish it"!! That made me laugh so hard!! :D

Ditto for Warren's and Kyle's hot tub scene...

I also thought it was great that Mercy had to fight her own way free of Blackwood in the end, without Adam or Sam or whoever coming to the rescue (well, Stefan, but he only made it a little easier for her). I think that'll go a long way to her regaining her self-confidence.

And it was cool how these events tied up what happened in MC and BB.

Overall, I loved BC. I think it's the best in the series yet.

And a big YAY for Sam and his future lady!!! I'm happy for him - and I'm glad we haven't 'met' her yet, or otherwise I'd go crazy trying to guess who she might be...  ;D :D
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2009, 10:32:20 pm »

And a big YAY for Sam and his future lady!!! I'm happy for him - and I'm glad we haven't 'met' her yet, or otherwise I'd go crazy trying to guess who she might be...  ;D :D

Yeah. For a short moment I feared it might be Marsilia. xD