Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 152240 times)

Letitia

• Mechanic
[Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:03:18 am »
Well, I got my copy in the mail at lunch time yesterday and had it finished a couple hours after supper! It's hard to decide where to start, so much happened in this book (and now I find myself, like a little kid, wanting to beg for "More, more, more!")...

It seems I should of been making little notes on things as I read, because it's hard to pick a point to start! I will just start with one topic, and maybe we can each think of something and then discuss it?

Okay - so - what a 'whoa' moment was Adam making Mercy pack (and, a bit ew)? I was not expecting it to be such an out-of-the-blue moment. It fits though, and giving Mercy no time to overthink it was a good thing. I like the way their relationship has progressed so far, there's lots of give and take. Adjustments. They obviously don't have it all figured out so far. The way pack magic works is still all sorts of confusion to me, but maybe that's because it is to Mercy. I really like that she stood up to Aurielle, it was about time. I think that can only help the situation, I mean Aurielle didn't like Darryl at first either. The pack dynamic, as Adam was describing it, was pretty cool. How they can sense what others feel about them, and Adam uses it to benefit the pack. I'd be interested to know more about the weres and the pack in the next book.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:29:20 pm by Elle »
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-        "MS. THOMPSON, it said in heavy block letters, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT."
    ¸.·´   .·´¨¨))     Adam Hauptman, Moon Called
  ((¸¸.·´  ¸.·´ -:¦:-                                               -:¦:-

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:15:35 am »
Well, I admit, I wouldn't have guessed that Adam can be that tricky. xD Of course, it was for saving Mercy from Stephan's mind-control but I think, maybe he had some utterior motives. Perhaps he just wanted to make her his for sure as soon as possible, because he sensed her thoughts about leaving.

Letitia

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:20:29 am »
Stefan definitely brought out the "territory marking" in Adam...

Speaking of Stefan, how sad did this book make you for him? Terribly, for me. He has so much love for Mercy (in my opinion) and no hopes of reciprocation. And Marsillia using that to play him like a pawn? No wonder he feels horrible about himself.
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-        "MS. THOMPSON, it said in heavy block letters, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT."

nina86

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:50:28 am »
Okay so I finally had time to finish the book and I have to say a have mixed feelings.  I love this series but something about this particular book felt off and I dont know exactly what it was.  At first I thought it was the dialogue it felt at times too forced or unnaturally sappy and at other times I felt it was because of Mercy and Adams chemistry felt off.  Maybe they were just suffering from what a lot of main characters go through once they finally get together and the relationship doesn't live up to expectations. And at times I just thought the main plot didn't quite blend well enough with the subplots.

I just don't know and I was just wondering if I was the only one who thought this book felt different from the others in the series?  Maybe the book will be better the second time around

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 12:02:37 pm »
I loved the book.  I agree that it felt different from the rest, but I felt that Patty provided Character Growth which is something many series lack.  To me Adam and Mercy already had an established relationship, be it newly acknowledged, I thought that although they were still settling into the relationship they are mature adults and it didn't have some of the drama that some books focus on for ages.  I don't want to read an entire series in which the hero takes for ever to learn or resolve anything.  I think what highlighted the character growth for was p. 110 when Mercy realizes and even laughs that they are all trying to protect each other, and is mature enough to not try to run off and save the world on her own.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:14:37 pm »
I understand what you  mean and I agree with Elefi about the character growth!
But also I think this is the book where we actually get to see the real Adam - although we got glimpses of him in Iron Kissed. Adam has been on edge for most of the time since he was introduced in Moon Called. First his daughter gets kidnapped and then Sam comes along to compete with him for Mercy's affection and its kept him holding onto his control.
Once Mercy accepted him and became his mate he could truly relax- with Mercy he could be truly himself and we saw that. Its the same thing with Mercy - the rape left her vulnerable but like that revelation in the car it also shook her up in a way to make her realize that she is needed but also needs to have that family/pack and like all families yep you get the ones you cant get on with but they are still family.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 12:40:01 pm »
Nina, to me the book did not feel as "edgy" as the other books.  Adam certainly isn't as edgy in this one as he is in IK or even BB.  The scary portions -- like with Blackwood -- did not seem as dark and tense as in the other books.  I'm all for sappy, so I was happy with the way Adam and Mercy's relationship played out in BC, but I didn't detect as much sexual tension as has been between them in previous books.

When I finished reading BC the first time, I'd say that my reaction was positive, but not necessarily over-the-moon "yay!"  But here's a problem that I have:  I NEVER like hardbacks as much as paperbacks.  That's always been the case with me, and I honestly think I have this ingrained bias against hardbacks that colors my perception of the story itself.  So when it comes to a hardcover book, I'm never quite certain about the "truthfulness" of my reaction.  Am I reacting to the story?  Or to the format?

Now, having read BC several more times, I like the story quite a bit, but it still doesn't seem to have the same "heft" that the other books have had.  (Honestly...maybe that goes back to the format thing.  In the paperback, the pages are small, the words are small and close together.  The story LOOKS substantial.  In the hardback, because of the formatting -- the words are big and spaced farther apart, the lines are spaced farther apart -- the story doesn't LOOK s subtantial.)

One thing I really liked a lot was the relationship between Mercy and Adam.  Loved the part at the dojo when the brown belt was coming on strong and Adam just stood by and let Mercy handle it.  When the sensei asked him why he didn't get involved, Adam makes it clear that he trusts Mercy's skills but also her common sense (to ask for help if she needs it).  I thought that was very respectful, and to me it spoke directly to the fear that Mercy had had (in previous books) that Adam would coddle her too much in his alpha/dominant need to protect.  In the scene after Adam makes Mercy pack, she thanks him for making some hard choices where she was concerned -- like when he used his alpha mojo to force her to drink the fairy juice.  Then later, when Mercy told Adam that hostage-taking is for bad guys...but he was fortunate to have such a great sidekick....  I liked very much how it was clear in this book that Adam and Mercy are peers and partners...equals.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 12:59:51 pm »
You know, I think BC is way much better than IK. In IK I've thought the beginning pretty tiresome and Mercy's behavior towards Adam was just plain immature, though the end really pushed the book higher in my opinion. I had not expected that.
In BC I started to like Mercy a lot more. I totally agree with Has. Mercy has grown up, she and Adam are now above all this drama and I really like that.

And about Stephan, as I wrote before, it was just heartbreaking to see him suffer that much. He really is an adorable character and shouldn't doubt about himself that much, though it makes him even more likeable. 

Letitia

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 01:06:08 pm »
This book does have a different feel than the others, but I too agree it has to do with character growth... The only thing that I miss in this book, that the others have, is the sexual tension. BUT, because of the events in IK - well - I just don't think Mercy is feeling sexual at all. Toward the end of the book she's getting there though. I think the playfulness and the sexualness will return in the next book. I mean, you can't have a character go through that and then just not have it affect them, and change the dynamic for a while.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:09:02 pm by lhasser »

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 01:29:48 pm »
This book does have a different feel than the others, but I too agree it has to do with character growth... The only thing that I miss in this book, that the others have, is the sexual tension. BUT, because of the events in IK - well - I just don't think Mercy is feeling sexual at all. Toward the end of the book she's getting there though. I think the playfulness and the sexualness will return in the next book. I mean, you can't have a character go through that and then just not have it affect them, and change the dynamic for a while.

I agree- but I think they were both taking things slow and easy because of Mercy's rape. But I definitely have the same feeling especially how Mercy likes to rile up Adam. That scene in the car was the precurser to that :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 01:42:24 pm »
I LOVED this book. Has to be my favourite in the series so far. ;D

For me, this was Stefan's book. We finally saw the person he is, the one he claims that doesn't exist any more, but the way he put his head on top of Mercy's at the end of the book, really pulled my heart strings.

Now, I adored Adam in this book. Again, we saw the side of him that we didn't get to see in previous books which makes sense. Before, Mercy didn't let him get close, therefore we didn't get to see the loving side of him. Now that she is his mate, and part of the pack, Adam is much more lighter, though I'm not sure I'm using the right word. He hasn't lost his intensity, but the love he shares for her and his pack shone in this book.

I have to admit I was kinda disappointed that we didn't get to see the smexy event with Adam and Mercy. I would have loved to read the scene when they were making love. But hey, perhaps next book. :D

Regarding Sam, I just want to cuddle him and never let go. My gosh, who saw his pain when he was looking at what 'could' have been his. I hope someone comes along soon, and makes Sam happy. He really needs it.

There is so much more to discuss, but for now my brain is spent. LOL

Howl~n~Growl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 02:44:25 pm »
Wow, where to start. I really loved this book. so much so that I want the next in the series *in demanding voice of a spoiled brat* NOW!, NOW!, NOW!, NOW! *croses arms and stompts feet* (what can I say my children taught me well.. :) )

As much as I agree that this was Stefans book, because it showed us more of the side of him that we kept catching glimpses of in the other books, I have to say it was even more about Mercy growing up.
I think that when Mercy put her fingers in Stefans mouth to help detach him from Adam and he completly closed up not wanting to attack Mercy, it showed Adam just how much Stefan really did love Mercy even though he was a vampire.

I understand what you  mean and I agree with Elefi about the character growth!
But also I think this is the book where we actually get to see the real Adam - although we got glimpses of him in Iron Kissed. Adam has been on edge for most of the time since he was introduced in Moon Called. First his daughter gets kidnapped and then Sam comes along to compete with him for Mercy's affection and its kept him holding onto his control.
Once Mercy accepted him and became his mate he could truly relax- with Mercy he could be truly himself and we saw that. Its the same thing with Mercy - the rape left her vulnerable but like that revelation in the car it also shook her up in a way to make her realize that she is needed but also needs to have that family/pack and like all families yep you get the ones you cant get on with but they are still family.

I also agree with this, it was nice to see the "real" Adam.

I LOVED this book. Has to be my favourite in the series so far. ;D

For me, this was Stefan's book. We finally saw the person he is, the one he claims that doesn't exist any more, but the way he put his head on top of Mercy's at the end of the book, really pulled my heart strings.

Now, I adored Adam in this book. Again, we saw the side of him that we didn't get to see in previous books which makes sense. Before, Mercy didn't let him get close, therefore we didn't get to see the loving side of him. Now that she is his mate, and part of the pack, Adam is much more lighter, though I'm not sure I'm using the right word. He hasn't lost his intensity, but the love he shares for her and his pack shone in this book.

I have to admit I was kinda disappointed that we didn't get to see the smexy event with Adam and Mercy. I would have loved to read the scene when they were making love. But hey, perhaps next book. :D

Regarding Sam, I just want to cuddle him and never let go. My gosh, who saw his pain when he was looking at what 'could' have been his. I hope someone comes along soon, and makes Sam happy. He really needs it.

There is so much more to discuss, but for now my brain is spent. LOL

And I agree with this too...you guys just say it better than I do. :)

One of my absolute favorite parts was when Adam took Mercy to bed and just held her through out the night.

Nina, to me the book did not feel as "edgy" as the other books.  Adam certainly isn't as edgy in this one as he is in IK or even BB.  The scary portions -- like with Blackwood -- did not seem as dark and tense as in the other books.

I think Blackwood was completly freaky and scary in his own right. The only other Vamp in the series that has his feel of creepyness is Wulfe. The other vamps are scary in their own right, but last time we had a Demon Vamp, and Wulfe says he can make another, and now we have..had a vamp that knows..umm..knew how to steel other creatures powers from them, and he did it! What is scarier than that?
Well, ok so there might be something scarier than that in the next book, but come on, that's pretty darn scary if I do say so myself.
"Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form" - Alexander Skarsgard

"Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls" - George Carlin

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 02:50:55 pm »
Yep this was really Stefan's book - in many ways this book carries on the theme of loyalty from the previous book. But this book was also about double crosses - I loved how it ties with the title :D

For instance- Blackwood has he got ties with the wolves in The Marrok. Has Bran got a traitor? Gerry and his plans and the tranq darts. Tag - Please I hope hes not a traitor. How did he know about something so personal?

The vampire with bloody hands- he was definitely more creepy out of all the vamps. Has he got a similar ability as the grandmother vamp?  And it looks like he was using Estelle and Benard to gain access to the Seethe and Marsillia knew it because they wouldnt be able to hold it together.
And then her betrayal towards Stefan - it was definitely heartwrenching. Like the Weres it looks like the vampires need those ties and healthy ones to be healthy. I think Stefan's ties to his menagerie and to Mercy and other humans helps him to keep his humanity if that makes sense.

That scene with Sam was also heartbreaking and that made me concern because it really looks like that Sam was going to lose it even though Mercy felt he was going to be alright :(

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 02:53:55 pm »
Well, didn't Mercy said something about a ghost that gave Blackwood information about the Marrock? So no traitor there.

But yes, I am feeling for Sam, too. He has never seemed that instable before in the books - except in Blood Bound when he wanted to eat the hurt baby, but that was because of the vampire-demon-thingy.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 02:58:47 pm »
I might have missed that I was reading the ebook and I felt like I was missing things at times the formatting wasnt that great on mobipocket - but still he was working with Gerry and he was definitely spying on the wolves. I wonder if he was involved in anything else. It definitely sounds like he was closely watching Mercy until he lost track of her when she left the Marrok.