Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 155238 times)

Artemis

• Grease Monkey
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #360 on: July 27, 2009, 04:32:21 pm »
I think that Marsilia's biggest concern was the safety of the seethe -- she would have to balance Mercy's vampire-killing skills against Bran's anger. And I can't remember ... did anyone know that Mercy was brought up by Bran when she came to the Tri-Cities?

Marsilia tells Mercy that Stefan understands keeping the seethe safe above all, it was the danger she put Mercy in that really made Stefan angry. However, Marsilia probably thought it was an acceptable danger -- since she was acting in what she believed was the beste interests of the seethe.

We tend to sympathize with Mercy, since we see all the events from her point of view. It'd be interesting to see Patty do a short story from a villian's point of view -- even though she's got a ton of other stuff to do!
We learned more from a three-minute record than we ever learned in school ...

"No Surrender," Bruce Springsteen

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #361 on: July 28, 2009, 03:25:56 am »
And I can't remember ... did anyone know that Mercy was brought up by Bran when she came to the Tri-Cities?

It was an open secret – if they looked in the right place they would have found the answers.

Marsilia probably thought it was an acceptable danger -- since she was acting in what she believed was the beste interests of the seethe.

Yeah. But I'd like to know what exactly Bernard’s maker was up to. Not many vampires live in America perhaps he wanted to set up his own court or something similar to the Italian vampires.

It'd be interesting to see Patty do a short story from a villian's point of view -- even though she's got a ton of other stuff to do!

That’d be good like an anthropology or something.

tellner

« Reply #362 on: August 03, 2009, 01:27:10 am »
One thing I really liked a lot was the relationship between Mercy and Adam.  Loved the part at the dojo when the brown belt was coming on strong and Adam just stood by and let Mercy handle it.  When the sensei asked him why he didn't get involved, Adam makes it clear that he trusts Mercy's skills but also her common sense (to ask for help if she needs it).  I thought that was very respectful, and to me it spoke directly to the fear that Mercy had had (in previous books) that Adam would coddle her too much in his alpha/dominant need to protect.  In the scene after Adam makes Mercy pack, she thanks him for making some hard choices where she was concerned -- like when he used his alpha mojo to force her to drink the fairy juice.  Then later, when Mercy told Adam that hostage-taking is for bad guys...but he was fortunate to have such a great sidekick....  I liked very much how it was clear in this book that Adam and Mercy are peers and partners...equals.

That's just it. Adam wouldn't have "handled" it. The teacher wouldn't have let it start. Not with a student just a few days post-sexual assault who had had to kill her attacker. No way. No how. And if it did he wouldn't have let her spar a brown belt who hits too hard and has an attitude problem. And if that unlikely thing happened he would have stopped the bout a few seconds in when it was obvious they were going too fast and too hard for safety.

This wasn't a strength of the book. It was a serious weakness for anyone who's spent time in the martial arts or self defense world.

Dani

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #363 on: September 06, 2009, 10:52:47 am »
There was a book series I read as a kid that had "zombies" rather similar to this. (its been too long for me to remember the name of the series, sorry.) In that most spirits stayed attached to their bodies because of a sense of possession. After all, what do you have if you don't have possession of your own body? What happened was that the spirits would stay bound to their bodies until the bodies had completely rotted away and nothing was left. Then, the spirits typically stuck around mourning the loss of their bodies but for a few that somehow became more sentient and would interact with the outside world.

Thats pretty much how I pictured Amber, except that the reason she stayed was for her son and not because of an attachment to her body and that when her body finally would rot away, she would have stayed as a spirit to watch over him had Mercy not intervened.

mrsj

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #364 on: September 12, 2009, 08:56:42 pm »
I just get to read Mercy Thompson Series and just finished reading "Bone Crossed"..

I have several mixed feelings about Adam and Mercy and at the same time.. I feel sad for Stefan..
Will he ever get a chance with Mercy? I doubt so..
Poor Stefan.. :(

lilliana

« Reply #365 on: December 17, 2009, 07:08:33 am »
I have just re-read Bone Crossed. And I dont know if this has been mentioned anywhere I tried to search but had no luck... Why did Mercy heal so well after Blackwell beat her up? Was it the blood exchange with Blackwell that did it? The mate bond with Adam? Or is Mercy forming new healing powers? I didnt notice this the first time I read the book for some reason or I could have just forgot since I barreled threw it when it first came out. Re-reads are good for catching things I miss the first time around.  :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #366 on: December 17, 2009, 08:16:54 am »
Best guess by me, it's still the vampire blood exchange, with potential for some pack magic from Adam.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

lilliana

« Reply #367 on: December 17, 2009, 10:31:55 am »
That's what I thought too. With being Adam's mate now, I'm assuming Mercy has gained faster healing abilities. I'm sure we will learn more about it in Silver Borne.

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #368 on: January 11, 2010, 07:32:19 am »
Stephan's blood in Blood Bound didn't have any healing powers, it only functioned as a short-term pain-killer and hyperpotential stimulant. So my guess is, it is the bond with Adam that helps her to heal faster.

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #369 on: January 11, 2010, 04:37:31 pm »
I don't think it was the blood exchange with Stefan I think it was the ones with Blackwell.  Remember he had fed off many different types of fae and a walker as well. Just because the ability to call her was stopped by the exchange with Stefan doesn't mean other things would go away as well.  It may be pack magic but I think that the healing is a wolf thing not a pack magic thing. Don't forget that at the time of the healing Mercy's connection to the pack and the mate bond with Adam was short circuited.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:31:35 pm by CarolKat »

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

lilliana

« Reply #370 on: January 12, 2010, 05:22:27 am »
Stefan's blood does heal. Didnt Stefan's blood help heal his blood donor with the cancer?

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2010, 07:32:07 am »
That wasn't specific to Stefan though. He was attempting to find a spin that would allow the eventual reveal of the vampires...so the healing property of their blood is a good angle.
Hurog Means Dragon.

lilliana

« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2010, 07:40:18 am »
Thank you Elle. That's a better explanation to what I was trying to say.  ;)  I was trying to respond to Pfefferminztee's post - I should have Quoted her.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #373 on: January 12, 2010, 07:46:33 am »
Heh. I could have read upthread.  :-whistle
Hurog Means Dragon.

lilliana

« Reply #374 on: January 12, 2010, 07:52:22 am »
No worries... you actually answered my question.  :D