Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 155297 times)

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #330 on: July 01, 2009, 12:28:09 pm »
I wasn't aware of the difference between 'staff' and 'stab', but thank you. :3
And yeah, she could have failed when she tried to use it, but still, if you are in a cage and searching desperately for a weapon against an enemy that is going to destroy you, wouldn't you use anything, even a staff, to defend yourself?

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2009, 12:35:15 pm »
Does Mercy know how to throw a spear?
It's hard to do, especially accurately. The fact that she had trouble throwing it to the Oakman in the first place indicates that she doesn't know how to/ can't throw a stick very well.

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #332 on: July 01, 2009, 12:38:15 pm »
She didn't need to throw it she could poke him with it or something.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #333 on: July 01, 2009, 12:39:17 pm »
I think Stefan was bothered by the hero line because it is an ideal he can't live up to. He is afraid that when Mercy realizes this she will hate him for deceiving her.

Possibly someone in the past saw him as a hero and he was unable to save them. Stefan wouldn't want to risk that happening again.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #334 on: July 01, 2009, 12:42:18 pm »
a poke isn't going to do much good. It takes a fair amount of strength OR a fair amount of skill to take out someone with a stick.

If you are going into a fight you are probably better off with a weapon you know how to use than one you don't. Mercy knows hand to hand combat, and she knows how to fight as a coyote. Fighting with a stick is beyond her experience.

A lot of stuff will carry over, but the middle of a fight isn't the best time to find out what will work and what won't.

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #335 on: July 02, 2009, 12:12:08 am »
Maybe you are right. But somehow, I think it would have been more satisfying if she would've thought about using it, but then dismissed the idea.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #336 on: July 02, 2009, 12:31:47 am »
Well, she's in the habit of thinking of it as something to be protected, not to protect her!  Witness how she kept sending it away while she was his captive.

Also, besides the 'keep "The Beast" from getting this power' mindset, she doesn't trust the stick; it's fae, so there's always a price.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #337 on: July 02, 2009, 06:46:30 am »
Also, I didn't get the sense that the staff has an obvious pointy end, like a spear.  Nobody's suggested, "Gee, that's a sharp end on that staff" or anything similar.  So, I can see where it wouldn't occur to her to throw it as such, or stab with it.  I had the sense it was more of a magical thing - since Lugh made it, the knowledgeable would know it could be used as a spear, but Mercy didn't have that knowledge.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #338 on: July 02, 2009, 09:43:33 am »
Well, both your explainations sound logical, so I guess you're right. From no on BC is flawless to me indeed. :D

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #339 on: July 02, 2009, 12:35:57 pm »
flawless except for Charles being the firstborn. :D

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #340 on: July 03, 2009, 12:38:57 am »
Uh, you are right. xD
Ah, and some of the German is wrong again, but that doesn't count. It makes it more charming.

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #341 on: July 03, 2009, 12:58:34 am »
Uh, you are right. xD
Ah, and some of the German is wrong again, but that doesn't count. It makes it more charming.

yup. ;)

GW  WK  WH

Interpreter

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #342 on: July 03, 2009, 10:06:07 pm »
Hello All,

I am a new poster and have read through most of the postings on this thread. I really enjoyed all the Mercy books.

I am thinking that the Oakman will play an important role as her new neighbor. I had the thought that he might make a passage to underhill in her backyard.

I agree that Sam is in pain and needs to come to a place of healing.

I give Patty so much credit for allowing Mercy to go through her PTSD. Kudos to Adam for supporting her.

I hope that Mercy gets to boss around Tim's spirit.  **Evil Grin** JK, the world is better off without the slimeball.

Ahhh... Stefan. My heart goes out to him.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #343 on: July 09, 2009, 09:57:56 am »
Blackwood had other forms of Magic that could have blocked Stefan. I mean he was able to know when exactly Mercy was alone when he was clear in Seattle.

I don’t think Blackwood had any more magic other than what was shown. He did know when she was alone but wasn’t that something to do with the vampire ghost? And Mercy’s abilities have never been a secret from the supernatural world, you just had to look in the right place to keep an eye out.

And he used cleaning Mercy's hands after the trial to bother his mistress more than anything, like he was trying to prove a point and get a response from her. I think the fact he turned up at the exact moment Mercy and his mistress were fighting shows that there is some sort of bond still in place.

The bond was still in place at this moment, but Mercy was always going to go “toe to toe” with Marsilia. I loved that scene especially how everyone’s playing one-upmanship games. But Stefan wins with the hands. I love there interaction and relationship, but Stefan will never over step the line with Mercy, he might piss Adam off in toeing that line, but he wouldn’t cross it. He’s a gentleman.

Stefan obviously doesn't trust himself too much around Mercy. He was sure he would have killed her. He keeps trying to tell him he is a monster and that he isn't her hero.

Yeah, he’s got a very low opinion of himself, funny how he seems the most human character.

And at the lake when they were talking to Bernard she felt him tug something out of her when he pulled out his sword. Did he somehow have access to her magic?

No. He was drawing on her presence. Vampires need their sheep not just for blood, but they somehow make their “master” more powerful.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #344 on: July 09, 2009, 10:10:05 am »
I give Patty so much credit for allowing Mercy to go through her PTSD. Kudos to Adam for supporting her.

I agree, wouldn’t have been right if she just bounced back. She should still be going through it in the next book, it’ll be six weeks later, won’t it? But plenty of time for Adam to put a dent in her mixed up feelings.

I hope that Mercy gets to boss around Tim's spirit.

Here’s hoping that Tim doesn’t come back as a ghost. I think she would run to Mexico and live wild.