Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 155252 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #315 on: April 18, 2009, 09:31:24 pm »
I just read a short review in Locus magazine for Bone Crossed, and I'm with that reviewer, who said something to the effect that he or she loved the fact that Mercy neither brushed the whole thing off unrealisitically nor wallowed in it; she had it happening and did her best to cope, with the help of friends and loved ones.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

ladylynx

• Mechanic
« Reply #316 on: April 19, 2009, 09:06:31 am »
I think Bright Future is going to be Ms. Briggs reoccurring villains. Like Ms. Hamilton has and even Ms. Harris has in her books. This way when you want to add additional problems to the main character's life you can bring these groups in to make trouble or write a whole story with them in it. Also with Were-Wolves coming out your going to have all sorts of hate and religious groups saying something.

As for Adams and Marcy's mating goes. I think the Marrok had figure to do that with them. Mercy means so much to him and he knows her nature really well, that he needed someone that was patient, nice and a gentlemen to win her over. He knew those two would hit it off. Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but I'm sort of feeling that Adam has allot of traits similar to Bran. so Bran knew he could trust Adam with the second most precious thing in his life.

I think down the road Sam might find what he wants either in another shifter or in a normal person. Heck, a Fae might be good for him. The two could have fun.   
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:06:17 pm by ladylynx »

midnight

• Tinker
« Reply #317 on: April 19, 2009, 11:50:41 am »
I completely understand what your saying mdauben,  :) but for me, my favourite part of Patricia's writing is that whilst she is writing a fictional story, she also incorporates a realistic perception into her characters and storyline. By doing that she makes the characters more real and believable. I enjoy reading books like that.
I guess its like what Kate said different strokes ;) 

Ladylynx,  ;D what i fantastic thought. I completely forgot about Bran and how he felt about Mercy. Now that I think about it, i can see how Bran might might approve of Adam for his Mercy.   

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #318 on: April 19, 2009, 12:51:36 pm »
He might have been manipulating them toward that from the moment he sent Adam up there. 

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #319 on: April 23, 2009, 12:51:41 pm »
I completely understand what your saying mdauben,  :) but for me, my favourite part of Patricia's writing is that whilst she is writing a fictional story, she also incorporates a realistic perception into her characters and storyline. By doing that she makes the characters more real and believable.

This is it for me in a nutshell.  When I was introducing my friend Yours Truly to the books, I kept saying that the characters were psychologically sound.  That was my ringing endorsement.  Ha!  But I LIKE that about them.  I like that they behave in a way that is reasonable and rational.  Makes them relatable...for me, at least.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
« Reply #320 on: May 03, 2009, 07:36:27 am »
This? Was one of the things I loved most about the book. The realistic way in which it dealt with what would be a horrible experience that Mercy went through. Different strokes, I guess. :)
Yes, I guess so.  I made sure to try and frame my comments as something I didn't care for, rather than saying it made the book bad.  I think I can understand (as much as a guy can, perhaps) why some readers find the material compelling and even important.  I can even understand why Patrica wan't to include it in her books.  Its just my personal feelings when I read it that make me not enjoy (if that's really the right word) reading about it.   :-[
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #321 on: May 06, 2009, 01:15:36 am »
I've found a little detail, that irritates me in BC - yes it took a long long time and a few re-readings.

When Mercy is caught in the cage and desperately searching for a weapon, she doesn't get the idea to use the magical stab herself, it is the Fae that mentions it. Why doesn't she even think about it? I mean, even if it woudln't be a magical stab it still would be a better weapon than nothing.
But apart from this little detail I still think that BC is one of the best books in the series. And yes, I like the way Mercy copes with her rape. It is realistic and I would've hated it if she could have shrugged it off that easily. I hate those super-uberheroes.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #322 on: May 07, 2009, 12:41:21 pm »
Thank you for your wonderful books and this great place to discuss them.

I was wondering... At the trial in Bone Crossed, Marsilia goads Mercy into giving a speech about what would happen if the seethe created another demon-ridden vampire, and then she whispers to Mercy that "That was for my Soldier. You tell him that."  I was confused about exactly what "that" was:  that Mercy wasn't a threat unless vampires forced her to be, that creating another demon-ridden vampire would get vampires wiped out so nobody should do that, that humans were more than "food"...  What did Marsilia intend to give Stefan through Mercy's testimony?

Thanks, and happy writing!
asked by ShadoWolf in Ask Patty

The Soldier is Stefan's nickname, and Marsilia knew that he didn't approve of her decision to make another demon-ridden sorcerer. I believe that she was trying to let him know that she wasn't unaware of the risks, and perhaps implying that Marsilia may reconsider her decision.

That's my 2 cents worth :)

EDIT: added original question - charmed
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:01:29 pm by charmed »
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Louve_des_bois

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #323 on: May 11, 2009, 10:15:40 pm »
I agree with Stephanieolden, it was confusing. I had to read twice, thinking "is that It?" There was a thread about Patty writing her first love scene, yes I was expecting more. At least more than in Alpha & Omega, where it was pretty clear it happened.

So I was confused and disapointed.

I like BC plot, and Patty story telling is spellbinding, but her writing is not as good as usual. I find myself reading more than once a sentence, because it is not clear what Patty means.

Okay I am a foreigner, granted, but in previous books I did not have this problem.
Also I have to read the book quite fast, because the characters' behaviour is less and less believable if I start to imaginate the scene in my mind.

I hope Ms Briggs is not loosing her skill under the pressure to write more. Perhaps it will be worthwhile to wait more to get a better finished book.

I like BC, but I think it is the weakest of the serie.

keyboo

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #324 on: June 27, 2009, 11:37:45 am »
I have a few quick questions.  I've been all over the site and haven't seen it, so if the answer is out there just point me in the right direction and I'll check it out.

In the beginning of BC, when Stefen is dropped in Mercy's place Adam feeds him, then Peter (a very non-dominant wolf) and then they wait for Ben to show up, but Darryl is there the whole time doing nothing.  When Adam suggests waiting for Ben, Darryl "Looked like he'd been slapped."  Why didn't Darryl help with the feeding and why did he seem to take such offense to Adam suggesting they wait for Ben?  Was it as simple as he REALLY didn't like vampires or was there something more to it?  Especially about Ben?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #325 on: June 27, 2009, 12:01:40 pm »
Some of each, is what I assumed.  Darryl probably has a near pathological fear/dislike of vampires, & doesn't think much of Ben, so he's bothered on several levels by the fact that Ben will be doing this but he can/will not.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 07:43:57 pm by Patti L. »

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #326 on: June 27, 2009, 06:25:28 pm »
I agree with Patti, I thought it was that he had a problem in his past connected to vampires. Ben is towards the bottom of the pack hierarchy, so having Ben do something he can't/ won't might be a pointed... point? whatever.

I think Adam just chose Ben bcs of the time they spent in the church basement together.

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #327 on: July 01, 2009, 06:55:42 am »
Maybe it is, because Adam didn't want to weaken his second in command, but instead chooses wolves that are more dispensable.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #328 on: July 01, 2009, 07:05:17 am »
I've found a little detail, that irritates me in BC - yes it took a long long time and a few re-readings.

When Mercy is caught in the cage and desperately searching for a weapon, she doesn't get the idea to use the magical stab herself, it is the Fae that mentions it. Why doesn't she even think about it? I mean, even if it woudln't be a magical stab it still would be a better weapon than nothing.
But apart from this little detail I still think that BC is one of the best books in the series. And yes, I like the way Mercy copes with her rape. It is realistic and I would've hated it if she could have shrugged it off that easily. I hate those super-uberheroes.

Two reasons, I suspect.
First, she thinks of it as a STAFF, not a 'stab' or spear.
Second, it takes a heck of a lot of strength to THROW a spear right through someone's heart.  I don't think Mercy had that strength at that point.  Hadn't she been fed on and or beaten?

twix

« Reply #329 on: July 01, 2009, 11:30:43 am »
It seems to me that he does still have a bond with Mercy. Blackwood had other forms of Magic that could have blocked Stefan. I mean he was able to know when exactly Mercy was alone when he was clear in Seattle. I think after Blackwood's bond was broken it went again to Stefan. I also think that maybe Stefan lied to her about the broken bond. I'm not sure for what purpose. Maybe he wants to stay tied to her without her knowing. Obviously Stefan loves Mercy (he whispered words of love to her, killed people for her and put his own life in danger for her) but he loves his mistress more. The only reason I think that is because he went back to her and when he could have turned against her and saved Mercy (and all of her friends if he did) he stayed true. And he used cleaning Mercy's hands after the trial to bother his mistress more than anything, like he was trying to prove a point and get a response from her. I think the fact he turned up at the exact moment Mercy and his mistress were fighting shows that there is some sort of bond still in place.

Stefan obviously doesn't trust himself too much around Mercy. He was sure he would have killed her. He keeps trying to tell him he is a monster and that he isn't her hero (I'm not exactly sure why that line bothered him so much). He also told her not to thank him for the second blood bond because she might not thank him later.  That shows there might be more about the second time than he let on. Maybe? Also after just one blood exchange he was able to get so far into her head he almost took her over. When she told him that he started saying you weren't meant to... then changed it to I didn't mean to. Which also showed there bond might be fairly strong already. After the second exchanged when she appeared as a coyote by her side, he looked down like he knew she would be there. Did he know? And at the lake when they were talking to Bernard she felt him tug something out of her when he pulled out his sword. Did he somehow have access to her magic?

Anyway those are some thoughts. But I do wonder if he loved his sheep the same way he loves Mercy now. Did he start out loving them all before he ended up controlling them? Bernard said he loved her more but is it true? So many questions. I love his character and his relationship with Mercy is intriguing. There interactions were my favorite of the book. :) I love Adam and Mercy together. I really do but the possibility of a Stefan/Mercy relationship is totally growing on me....

So I do think he loves both woman but I think he doesn't feel worthy of Mercy and I do think they still share the bond....