Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 155228 times)

Spring

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #300 on: March 13, 2009, 06:52:57 am »
Thank you!  I had not thought about there being a bond/connection with Blackwood even though Mercy was blocked from becoming his servant.  I had thought it meant there was no bond at all between her and Blackwood due to her other connections.

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #301 on: March 13, 2009, 11:15:58 am »
I just loved the scene... And even though I got a bit confused in the beginning it became clear as I read through it... after all, Tim was  a week and a bit before but don't forget the Blackwood "Monster" and his abuse in the form of biting Mercy while she was unconscious... (At least that's how I thought it...

Still, I... wouldn't want it any other way (as the saying goes) Anna needed... to 'learn' how to be in a normal relationship after 3 years of abuse, and at the time they thought the mating bond would be created through sex...
Mercy and Adam had to heal other wounds and there was no 'pressure' to create the bond, it was already there...

(Plus, it gives me hope that someday I'll be able to write something like that for my own characters.... ;D)

kas913

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #302 on: March 22, 2009, 08:46:10 am »
First off, let me say that I am pretty new to this discussion board and so I haven't read everything on this thread yet.  So I apologize if someone has brought up this question already.  I loved Bone Crossed.  I thought that it showed some real changes and growth in Mercy.  Yes, this book was different from the first 3, but I think that I would get bored with a series if it didn't reinvent itself once in a while.

The part that's been bugging me was the section where Mercy was stuck in the cage.  At one point, she shifted and was able to get through the bars between her and Corbin's cage.  Why couldn't she have shifted and gotten out completely?  Couldn't she have done it while Amber was downstairs and had the key?  Or even if she was worried about Blackwood, couldn't she have waiting until he was sleeping and then slipped out to either attempt to kill Blackwood, or even just to get to a phone to call Adam?

Pfefferminztee

• Mechanic
« Reply #303 on: March 22, 2009, 10:35:44 am »
But Blackwood has hostages. She waited until the young boy and his dad disappeared before she started revolting.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #304 on: March 22, 2009, 10:18:04 pm »
But Blackwood has hostages. She waited until the young boy and his dad disappeared before she started revolting.

That's true. Remember how she could have escaped from the trunk before Blackwood even put her in the cage? She still stuck around because he would hurt the kid (sorry I forgot his name)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #305 on: April 08, 2009, 10:02:01 am »
That's true. Remember how she could have escaped from the trunk before Blackwood even put her in the cage? She still stuck around because he would hurt the kid (sorry I forgot his name)

Chad.

She could have gotten free at any time. But she was facing her fears head on. I suppose she's like a dominant wolf in that sense - there to protect others, like when she attacked Blackwood so he couldn't get Corban.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #306 on: April 08, 2009, 10:12:40 am »
I just loved the scene... And even though I got a bit confused in the beginning it became clear as I read through it... after all, Tim was  a week and a bit before but don't forget the Blackwood "Monster" and his abuse in the form of biting Mercy while she was unconscious... (At least that's how I thought it...

Mercy and Adam had to heal other wounds and there was no 'pressure' to create the bond, it was already there...

I agree about the opening, but she needed that and humour to begin the healing process. It was sweet, the Medea comparisons were funny.

I'm glad there isn't a big ceremony with the mate bond and what not - that would have been too weird. It was good that the mating thing happens spontaneously almost, (afterall, I don't think Adam knew what he was doing!) And it can't be forced.

Fluckegirl

« Reply #307 on: April 14, 2009, 06:47:26 pm »
ok so i understand that Amber in BC wasn't technically a zombie but i don't understand what she was really or how she got to be that way. Something was mentioned about her being broken but i don't get it?Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:51:39 pm by Fluckegirl »

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #308 on: April 14, 2009, 07:33:25 pm »
I think her spirit stayed in her body because she felt she had to stay to protect her son.

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
« Reply #309 on: April 17, 2009, 11:26:36 pm »
After a long delay, I was finally able to read Bone Crossed this week.  It was overall a pretty good read and was well worth the wait  There were a couple of things that I was less than happy with, however.

The Aftermath of Iron Kissed
When Iron Kissed originally came out, like some others I had voiced the fact that I didn't particulary like reading about what happened to Mercy in the garage and thought the book could have been better without that particular event.  Some discussion of the topic here alowed me to view it from a different view point and understand why Patrica wanted to include it.  One of the things that made it easier for me to accept was how Mercy was (seemingly) able to move past the event and start her relationship with Adam at the end of the book.  One of the things I have always liked about the series and the character of Mercy is what a strong, independent person she is.  We found in this book, however, that she was not as "over it" as she seemed in the end of Iron Kissed.  Her feelings and responses in Bone Crossed were probably more realistic than the quick recover we thought we saw in the last book, but for me at least it was still disappointing to see her regressing in her recovery from the traumatic events of the last book. 

I admit I hated to see our strong, self-confident heroine suffering from panic attacks and bouts of fear.   Now, there were plenty of other scenes where Mercy was brave and strong as usual, so its not like the character had a total personality change.  Perhaps its just my continued discomfort with the subject that is influencing my personal perceptions of those aspects of the story.  :-\

The Climax of the Story
I was really enjoying the storyline in this book.  Some new plot threads woven together with some exiting threads.  Very exciting right up to the end, which I found kind of... disappointing.  The whole thing left me with a feeling of deus ex machina.  It was like nothing Mercy did really mattered in the end.  The "staff of sheep farming" just suddenly (and for no apparent reason) became a "spear of vampire killing" and solved the problem.   ::)

The final scene in the book with Mercy, Stephan and  Marsilia seemed to end kind of abruptly, too.  I actually thought for a minute that I was missing the last page or something.  Not bad, it just didn't seem to end on the definite final note like the previous books did.

Now, just becuase all I mentioned are a couple things I didn't like, does not mean there was not a lot that I did like about the book.  The whole series is one of my favorites and depsite any reservations I may have about some aspects of the book, I still really enjoyed it and thought it was a welcome addition to the series.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:35:02 pm by mdauben »
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

mdauben

• Tinker
  • Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
« Reply #310 on: April 17, 2009, 11:46:32 pm »
I do have a question, though.  I was really surprised(confused)  that Stefan's flock survived.  I mean, isn't it more in character for Marsilia to have really killed them all?  Or, is this integral to a future plot line?  It just struck me as being a bit out of the blue, that's all. 
I admit I was kind of supprised when that was revealed, but I don't think it was really that out of character for Marsilia. 

She probably could have cared less about the people in Stephen's flock but even if she didn't understand why she knows that he cares about them.  Remember, the whole thing was just a ploy on her part, and she always planned that Stephen would return to her seethe when it was over and their estrangement would only be temporary.  So she didn't want to do something permenant that could not be undone between them.  The problem was she didn't understand that there were things besides actually killing his flock that he still might have a hard time forgiving her for.  ;)
Mike

"To be matter-of-fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy - and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful."

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #311 on: April 18, 2009, 09:17:20 am »
Well put.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #312 on: April 18, 2009, 10:05:59 am »
Yeah that is! Actually it reminded me of a similar incident :), when Stefan did not get that Mercy holds him responsible for killing those two people even though Wulf actually did it.

That strikes me as pretty ironic.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #313 on: April 18, 2009, 02:18:54 pm »
Yeah that is! Actually it reminded me of a similar incident :), when Stefan did not get that Mercy holds him responsible for killing those two people even though Wulf actually did it.

That strikes me as pretty ironic.

OOoooooh, that's a good point.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #314 on: April 18, 2009, 02:21:31 pm »
The Aftermath of Iron Kissed
When Iron Kissed originally came out, like some others I had voiced the fact that I didn't particulary like reading about what happened to Mercy in the garage and thought the book could have been better without that particular event.  Some discussion of the topic here alowed me to view it from a different view point and understand why Patrica wanted to include it.  One of the things that made it easier for me to accept was how Mercy was (seemingly) able to move past the event and start her relationship with Adam at the end of the book.  One of the things I have always liked about the series and the character of Mercy is what a strong, independent person she is.  We found in this book, however, that she was not as "over it" as she seemed in the end of Iron Kissed.  Her feelings and responses in Bone Crossed were probably more realistic than the quick recover we thought we saw in the last book, but for me at least it was still disappointing to see her regressing in her recovery from the traumatic events of the last book. 

I admit I hated to see our strong, self-confident heroine suffering from panic attacks and bouts of fear.   Now, there were plenty of other scenes where Mercy was brave and strong as usual, so its not like the character had a total personality change.  Perhaps its just my continued discomfort with the subject that is influencing my personal perceptions of those aspects of the story.  :-\

This? Was one of the things I loved most about the book. The realistic way in which it dealt with what would be a horrible experience that Mercy went through. Different strokes, I guess. :)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!