Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 155275 times)

Nifty

• Mechanic
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #270 on: March 02, 2009, 07:23:29 am »
Okay so I finally had time to finish the book and I have to say a have mixed feelings.  I love this series but something about this particular book felt off and I dont know exactly what it was. 
I just don't know and I was just wondering if I was the only one who thought this book felt different from the others in the series?  Maybe the book will be better the second time around

But I have to agree with you, there was something off in this book.

Rolange and Nina...just out of curiosity...do you think your feelings could have anything to do with the format of the book?  That it was in hardcover, I mean?  I've noticed that I have a completely unconscious bias against hardcover books.  They ALWAYS feel "off" to me, especially when I've been reading all the previous ones in a series.  They always feel shorter to me than paperback books, even if they are indeed the same length (number of words).  And they always feel overall as if the story is "less hefty."  I can't really explain it better than that.  I think it's psychological or something...a reaction to the larger font, the larger paper, the greater amount of white space between lines and in the margins.  Anyway, my initial reaction to Bone Crossed was not as enthusiastic (overall) as I had wanted it to be...until I re-read it three or four more times.  I liked it more with each subsequent re-reading.  But even still, it's hard to shake that feeling that the story was far less substantial than Iron Kissed or Blood Bound.  I'm totally blaming the format for that.

I wish I had the will-power to put off reading #5 until it was out in paperback, but I know that won't happen.  *sigh*  But yeah, the format DEFINITELY impacted my overall enjoyment of and response to Bone Crossed.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #271 on: March 02, 2009, 12:41:46 pm »
I also think that Mercy's POV is a factor as well- and its straight after IK and she's still coming to terms with the rape and add the fact that  Marsillia and Blackwood  are after her as well. Mercy is feeling is pretty fragile despite her brave front. Also Adam has been on edge most of the time in the previous 3 books - the mate issues within his pack, Sam, Jesse being abducted and Littleton and the demon- it would make him more grumpy than usual so when Mercy chooses him he can finally relax. And both of them dont want to rock the boat so to speak - Adam has to deal with backlash of Mercy being his mate and being part of the pack, plus his own guilt and feelings about Mercy being attacked. And Mercy doesnt want to give him additional grief because she can see the repercussions of what is going on, so I think that is why the feel of the book is different.

But I got a sense things will change anyway- it has to and that is a sign of good writing because there is development and change- and this is a HUGE change for everyone in this book it feels like the first 3 books sets up and establishes the series/characters but the end of IK and BC is definitely the start of a new arc/chapter for everyone!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #272 on: March 02, 2009, 01:19:02 pm »
I definitely agree with you Has! BC was a little off and uncomfortable but we are looking into Mercy's soul after she was raped and that kind of thing is never comfortable!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #273 on: March 02, 2009, 01:33:22 pm »
Bone Crossed is different than other books in the series.   I'm not sure it's bad, just different.

First of all, realize that a good author is always learning.  Patty's never tried to plot anything this long previously, and it presents some challenges she hasn't faced previously.  Books should be tense, fast-paced, and leave the reader wanting more.  That works well for a while, but after three books of breakneck speed, rapid-fire adventure and considerable damage the characters are on the edge, there's plot threads hanging like a frayed rope, and the suspension of disbelief is starting to unravel around the edges.

So, Bone Crossed had the usual mystery/monster plot, but it was only one of several plots being woven together.  It wasn't quite as edgy, or as powerful in some ways, as the previous books.  But it gave the characters a chance to work out a few issues, tuck a few plot threads back into place, and get things settled just a bit.  Basically, it's a transition between the "Innocent Girl Gets Inducted to the Nasty Paranormal World" part of the story, and the "Mature Heroine. Tired Of Posturing, Rearranges the World" part of the story.  The action will ramp up again in the next one!

Where's my super-suit?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2009, 01:49:19 pm »
Basically, it's a transition between the "Innocent Girl Gets Inducted to the Nasty Paranormal World" part of the story, and the "Mature Heroine. Tired Of Posturing, Rearranges the World" part of the story.

:D Love that categorization!   ;D

And even in series, you have to do the same thing as the main book;  build to a climax, recover, build to next climax, recover, lather, rinse, repeat. 

It took until the fourth book for crying out loud!  Most authors get the slump in the second book.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:42:50 pm by Patti L. »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

franiwolf9

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #275 on: March 02, 2009, 03:01:11 pm »
wow I can't wait until
the "Mature Heroine. Tired Of Posturing, Rearranges the World" part of the story.

Thanks so much Mike for providing some clarification, it is greatly appreciated. I'm totally ready to dive back into Mercy's world and was just sighing over the "long" wait until the next Cry Wolf series book is released.

rolange

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2009, 05:28:50 pm »
Okay so I finally had time to finish the book and I have to say a have mixed feelings.  I love this series but something about this particular book felt off and I dont know exactly what it was. 
I just don't know and I was just wondering if I was the only one who thought this book felt different from the others in the series?  Maybe the book will be better the second time around

But I have to agree with you, there was something off in this book.

Rolange and Nina...just out of curiosity...do you think your feelings could have anything to do with the format of the book?  That it was in hardcover, I mean?  I've noticed that I have a completely unconscious bias against hardcover books.  They ALWAYS feel "off" to me, especially when I've been reading all the previous ones in a series.  They always feel shorter to me than paperback books, even if they are indeed the same length (number of words).  And they always feel overall as if the story is "less hefty."  I can't really explain it better than that.  I think it's psychological or something...a reaction to the larger font, the larger paper, the greater amount of white space between lines and in the margins.  Anyway, my initial reaction to Bone Crossed was not as enthusiastic (overall) as I had wanted it to be...until I re-read it three or four more times.  I liked it more with each subsequent re-reading.  But even still, it's hard to shake that feeling that the story was far less substantial than Iron Kissed or Blood Bound.  I'm totally blaming the format for that.

I wish I had the will-power to put off reading #5 until it was out in paperback, but I know that won't happen.  *sigh*  But yeah, the format DEFINITELY impacted my overall enjoyment of and response to Bone Crossed.

I'd have to say, for me, it didn't make a difference whether it was paperback or hardcover. I initially wasn't going to buy it in hardcover because I prefer paperbacks. But when I saw it in the bookstore I was so excited that I had to have it. I approached with as much enthusiasm as I would any of the Mercy books.  I did think, however, that for people coming to it because it is hard cover...it was probably the weakest in the series. But even when I say that, I don't mean that it is a weak book on it's own, just in comparison to the previous books. Moon Called, Blood Bound, and Iron Kissed were so much stronger plot wise and emotionally.

Lorikeet

« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2009, 03:40:45 am »
Sorry, I didn't mean I do not trust Stefan. He is not false, but I don't trust Wolfe!
And I remember, Stefan had a kind of bond to Mercy before Blackwood had one. Because of this Adam made his in a hurry-up way.
But it's right, let's wait what will happen in the next books.

stephanieolden

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #278 on: March 06, 2009, 10:15:25 am »
ok so i read bone crossed and i loved it.
but im a little confused about what exactly happened between mercy and adam. my friend also read the book and was as confused as well. so did they or didn't they have sex. i know in her other books that she doesn't really do into detail, but im not sure if they did it or didn't. i also read the anna and charles books and in their book it was more defined you knew that it happened. it was also kind of out of the blue she was spending so much time with stefan and then see has sex with adam. she also didn't seem that excited about what happened because there were no comments about it.
thanks

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2009, 11:49:16 am »
Yes. She did.

Tanis143

• Grease Monkey
    • My webspace
« Reply #280 on: March 07, 2009, 02:26:03 pm »
I can see what Mike was talking about, though I could not have voiced it as well as he could. I did see that several loose threads were closed up (Adam and Mercy are mated, bout time. The whole vampire issue is solved (for the time being at least). Even Tim's angry cousin is finally brushed off, at least for now. The only major plot thread I see that's still open is Bright Future, they are still there and with the fact that Were's are out in the open they may group them with the Fae as needing to be removed to promote the human future. I dont see BC as a plot builder but more as a plot finisher. Almost like the previous three sat next to each other seamlessly but left a jagged edge on top. With BC over all three of them, almost all of the jagged edges are cleaned up and smoothed over and now we have a platform that new issues, twists and turns will arise to amuse us.

The only question that I have for Patty is how many other supernatural creatures is she going to experiment with? We have two types of were's, Fae, Vamps and with Cry Wolf we now have witches. 
Um, I guess this is my sig.......

Demi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #281 on: March 08, 2009, 02:21:39 am »
The only question that I have for Patty is how many other supernatural creatures is she going to experiment with? We have two types of were's, Fae, Vamps and with Cry Wolf we now have witches. 

Well i think in Mercys World there is everything you heard off.
The question is if they will show up, or if they prefer to stay hidden
because there is no need to show themselfes.
And witches we had in the first book, they are part of the start  :)
Addicted to the tales from the Bard of Hurog

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #282 on: March 08, 2009, 05:32:27 am »
The situation was down played because she was still healing.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #283 on: March 08, 2009, 05:35:59 am »
So did Blackwood take Stefan's and Mercy's bond as his own? Like Marsilia's and Wulfe's power of breaking bonds eluded to?

That's the only way I can see it happening without the bond reverting back to Stefan upon Blackwoods death. Unless Stefan's lying.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #284 on: March 08, 2009, 09:28:28 am »
Yes, Elizaveta cleaning up after the guys who came after Alan.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.