Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 155236 times)

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2009, 02:06:59 pm »
Leah could learn, if you can teach an old dog new tricks. ( :) )

Bone Crossed.
I agree that Mercy is taking up part of the responsibility, and in the car she isn't even using pack 'magic' to do it. (I don't think). Major difference from Leah's attitude.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2009, 04:57:29 pm »
I so agree with you there- hence why I dont thing things are going to work out for Bran and Leah in the long run even if they manage to work out their issues. Leah sees that as a status thing while Mercy appreciates it and understands the full implications of being an Alpha's mate.

Leah doesn't have much else for an option. Maybe she tried when they were first mated but Bran stiil wouldn't warm up to her.
I like Bran and dislike Leah but put them in the same room and it's Bran I want to slap... um and then run... very fast.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2009, 05:04:46 pm »
Virtual slapping, over the computer. less dangerous that way.

Does an Alpha's power work over the phone?

IvyBRT

• Tinker
    • Book Reader Times
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2009, 05:41:09 pm »
I liked the book... But it left me heart broken for Sam. I want more Sam! I need more Sam! I also did like the progess in Mercy's and Adam's relationship. It was a litlle weird when  Adam made mercy pack, but i'll survive. ;D (lol)

P.S.  Did I mention I need me some Sam? ;)

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #259 on: February 27, 2009, 10:54:58 am »
Leah doesn't have much else for an option. Maybe she tried when they were first mated but Bran stiil wouldn't warm up to her.

We’ve not seen enough of Leah to really judge her - though some of her actions don’t paint her in the best light. I think she’s very insecure in herself and just acts out in reaction. She probably did try to get closer to Bran when they first got together, but she was never going to match to Charles’s mother. And she’s going to feel that and take it out on others.

I might be wrong, she might brash and selfish all of the time. I’ll just have to wait for  more snippets.

Did I mention I need me some Sam? ;)

I think we all need a bit more of Sam - when he’s at his best, he offers some of the best moments in the books. But when he is just going through the motions that’s hard to read. And things are going to get worse, before they get better.

Ena

« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2009, 05:19:32 pm »
I wonder if Marsilia really endangered Mercy by painting the bone-cross on her door, since no vamp can enter the building besides Stephan?
In my opinion it was part of the plan to force the rebels to action like the hole outcasting of Stephan was.

PurpleMoon

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2009, 05:42:36 pm »
the vamps have other beings under their service...I assume fae, so there would be no problem for them to get in there and harm Mercy since she was an enemy of the seethe, she was also an enemy of the seethes's friends

''Amazing who you can meet in an Elevator..''
Big Al - White Witch, Black Curse

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2009, 05:49:03 pm »
They also mentioned that the bone cross would start to attract nasty other-worldly beings of all kinds, and since the bone cross indicates that Mercy's business is no longer under the vampire's protection, she'd be at their, well, mercy. No pun intended.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Tirya

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #263 on: February 28, 2009, 10:07:06 pm »
Okay so I finally had time to finish the book and I have to say a have mixed feelings.  I love this series but something about this particular book felt off and I dont know exactly what it was.

I am finally getting back to re-reading the book (it's been a long month) and I think I've put my finger on what bothers me about this one that I didn't notice in the earlier ones (or at least not as much).

The flow is different - more partial sentences, more sub-thoughts in parenthesis, more "asides" that to me make the book feel more "choppy". I only really noticed it this time through because it was like they would grab me and shake me out of my "zone" as I ran over them.

Examples:

He'd had to go to Washington (the capital -- we were in the state) this weekend to clean up a little mess that was sort of my fault.

(Since she just mentioned DC in the sentence before, this seemed a little redundant?)

So we jumped in my Vanagon (my poor Rabbit was still in repairs from the damage a fae had done to it last week).

(Why not "So we jumped into my Vanagon, since my poor Rabbit was still in repairs..."? Why the sotto voce comment?)

Sensei stood up, and I followed suit. He looked at Adam.

Who bowed, fist to hand and eyes hidden behind dark sunglasses he hadn't been wearing when I'd first glimpsed him in the doorway.

(Starting the sentence, let alone the paragraph, with "Who" really confused me at first - I thought the sentence was going to be a question, not a statement that Adam bowed first. If it had read "Adam bowed, fist to hand..." it wouldn't have bothered me as much, even with the repetition of the word "Adam".)

Bernard stood on the bank, the gun held with obvious familiarity with the barrel pointed at yours truly.

(To me, even though I love the first-person POV in the series, this was just a little too "buddy buddy" with the reader. Dunno if that makes any sense.)

"I bet you did. Are my Samuel and your Adam hovering over you and giving you a bad time?" His voice was full of (false) sympathy.

(The "false" in parenthesis, as an aside, really bugged me here.)

There's also one part about someone lying on Mercy's bed, and there's a whole aside sentence about how (he'd just turned on the small lamps on the bedside table) that to me was totally distracting from the actual meat of the scene, but of course I can't find it now.

Don't get me wrong - I thoroughly enjoy the book and the story, but to me it also felt a little different, and I think this is why.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #264 on: February 28, 2009, 10:13:00 pm »
Gah!  My writing style is infecting Our Hostess!  Get her an antidote, quick!
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #265 on: February 28, 2009, 10:24:59 pm »
hey, I like what you write and I like what Patty writes.

I think the story was lighter, especially after IK. It needed a lighter writing style.

PurpleMoon

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #266 on: March 01, 2009, 07:09:10 am »
I like Bran and dislike Leah but put them in the same room and it's Bran I want to slap... um and then run... very fast.

never run from a werewolf Artangel, it just makes them madder lol

''Amazing who you can meet in an Elevator..''
Big Al - White Witch, Black Curse

rolange

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #267 on: March 01, 2009, 09:00:00 am »
Okay so I finally had time to finish the book and I have to say a have mixed feelings.  I love this series but something about this particular book felt off and I dont know exactly what it was.  At first I thought it was the dialogue it felt at times too forced or unnaturally sappy and at other times I felt it was because of Mercy and Adams chemistry felt off.  Maybe they were just suffering from what a lot of main characters go through once they finally get together and the relationship doesn't live up to expectations. And at times I just thought the main plot didn't quite blend well enough with the subplots.

I just don't know and I was just wondering if I was the only one who thought this book felt different from the others in the series?  Maybe the book will be better the second time around

I'm finally getting around to posting about the book. I read a few weeks ago and intend to read it again soon. But I have to agree with you, there was something off in this book. Whether it was the pacing or Mercy interaction with Adam or just Mercy herself. And I'm not sure how much of that has to do with Mercy really not being herself yet either, after the events of Iron Kissed. I felt it was a mistake to take so much of the book away from Finley to Spokane, where I found myself wondering not only why I should care but what was going on? Why was Mercy even there? Of course, it came to a head at the end but it took a long time to get there. I was craving more Adam/Mercy scenes, and more Sam scenes as well. I also thought there could have been more to the Bran scenes. I did love the role Stefan played in all of this and his character go fleshed out nicely. I've posted a review at http://rolange.livejournal.com/12808.html#cutid1 my lj site for those who care to read. It's just my opinion. In the end, I did love it of course, but for most of my reading it did feel...off, like you said. So, you weren't the only one.

Anya

• Tool Wrangler
    • Night Time Romance Reviews
« Reply #268 on: March 01, 2009, 05:45:09 pm »

never run from a werewolf Artangel, it just makes them madder lol

lol! but then again with bran, you'd never know how he would react.  ;)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #269 on: March 01, 2009, 06:26:53 pm »
Actually, the slap for mad; run for trigger chase and kill. . . .  not so good an idea.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.