Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 155298 times)

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2009, 02:46:53 am »
D'oh! I really did not mean steak, I ment stake.... um yeah, I did.... I'm sure. Though death by a rare t-bone would be a good way to go!

;D ;D ;D

GW  WK  WH

nottled

• Mechanic
  • Sexy Fat Chick
« Reply #241 on: February 24, 2009, 11:28:40 am »
As I re-read, I'm discovering two things.

I'm pissed off that Mercy's rape robbed her and Adam of the joyous, intense hotness that should have been their first time making love. I thought the scene was sweet and appropriate but muted, due to the circumstances. I'm really hoping that when Mercy has a chance to heal, Patty will revisit their physical relationship in a less sensitive, more fun way. I think the bottom wiggling scene was a good step in that direction.

Secondly, I'm very glad Mercy has finally decided that no man is an island. I think if it had carried on, I'd have been annoyed. It's what has turned me off about the Anita Blake series. The gall to reject people that only want to love you in a repeated fashion out of 'self preservation' really pushes my buttons, for some reason.

I love her courage in the way that she was willing to insult Marsilla in a room full of vampires, for the love of Stephan. However, if she'd actually run away at the beginning to save her friends I'd have hated her a little for it. Knowing that the vampires would kill whether she was there or not and that the wolves would tear the world upside down looking for her in fear and panic, was selfish and cowardly. Like I said, I'm glad her bond with Adam forced her from doing it.

Damn it, I am pleasant!

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #242 on: February 24, 2009, 11:50:06 am »
Secondly, I'm very glad Mercy has finally decided that no man is an island. I think if it had carried on, I'd have been annoyed. It's what has turned me off about the Anita Blake series. The gall to reject people that only want to love you in a repeated fashion out of 'self preservation' really pushes my buttons, for some reason.

I love her courage in the way that she was willing to insult Marsilla in a room full of vampires, for the love of Stephan. However, if she'd actually run away at the beginning to save her friends I'd have hated her a little for it. Knowing that the vampires would kill whether she was there or not and that the wolves would tear the world upside down looking for her in fear and panic, was selfish and cowardly. Like I said, I'm glad her bond with Adam forced her from doing it.

AMEN, Sister! I felt EXACTLY the same way. When she was going through some of those mental gymnastics, I was seriously worried, but I should have had trust in our Patty. :)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

nottled

• Mechanic
  • Sexy Fat Chick
« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2009, 11:53:44 am »
Yep, gotta trust that she won't take us there. It's what I love about Mercy. She's tough and ornery but when it comes right down to it, she's appreciative of the people around her. That's what makes me love her.  ;)
Damn it, I am pleasant!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2009, 12:36:12 pm »
I dont think she would have gone through with it though although she had doubts- I did like the fact she went whew I am broke so I cant leave anyway. But I think it was just the stress of everything plus the aftermath of Tim's attack and then Marsillia knowing she just didnt want more people she cared about getting hurt with her problems. But I am glad she got over that - also its hard for her to let people in which is why her revelation at the end has made her aware that she pushed people aside so she wouldnt get close just in case she got hurt again.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

nottled

• Mechanic
  • Sexy Fat Chick
« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2009, 02:58:18 pm »
You're right Has, it had a means to an end but I think I'm getting tired of that quality in heroines. Not Mercy in particular but that whole ideal.

I'd love to see one girl who was strong, kick ass and just fell in love with complete abandon, regardless of the consequences. A fool in love, that's what I want! ;D
Damn it, I am pleasant!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #246 on: February 24, 2009, 03:05:15 pm »
Same here - its like the romances that work in my eyes is the ones who are totally and implacably in love their guy!
I love that scene where she goes to Aurielle - MINE :D
That scene showed that Mercy isnt one to back away now and its a full commitment you dont really get in some urban fantasy - well the ones who have the multiple love interests. But I think thats changing though.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

nottled

• Mechanic
  • Sexy Fat Chick
« Reply #247 on: February 24, 2009, 03:20:19 pm »
That was one of my favorite scenes in the book. I loved the 'epiphany' and her acceptance that she was Adam's and vice versa.
Damn it, I am pleasant!

Spring

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2009, 08:49:47 am »
I was a little confused about Stefan's bond to Mercy at the end of Bone Crossed.  On the top of page 273 Patty wrote "but your ties to the wolves and to that other vampire-...-have blocked him" but on page 305 Patty wrote "I came to tell you that we no longer share a bond.....I imagine when he fed from you again."  How was Stefan's bond able to stop Blackwood from making her Blackwood's servant and yet not be there once Blackwood ate from her? (That was why Stefan could not find her there without Marsilia's help.)  Does she still have a bond with Stefan (that helped her) that Stefan is not aware of?(the bond being unusual and does not give him her location) 

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:54:51 am by Spring »

PurpleMoon

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2009, 09:24:21 am »
I think that, technically, there never was a bond between Blackwood and Mercy...grandmother death told her that it would take a couple of feedings, maybe months, for him to have control over her...BUT since he had already fed from her he could know, as any other vampire, where his food was, when Stefan fed from her this `bond` (vampire/food) was broken and substituted by Stefan's...when Blackwood fed from her again, at his den, he broke Stefan's touch to HIS food (mercy) so Stefan couldn't know where she was right? Am I making sense? that's what I think anyways....

''Amazing who you can meet in an Elevator..''
Big Al - White Witch, Black Curse

Lorikeet

« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2009, 02:17:05 am »
Hi,
first I have to say: I'm new here. (Hi to everybody) I've read all the Mercy Books (bone crossed in english the other ones in german). I hope I will not make too much mistakes, for english is not my native speech.

And now I will start to discuss  ;)
Fact is, Stefan was not pleased about having no bond any longer with Mercy. But very interesting was, that while she had the bond with Stefan, the bond to Adam was not fully complete (he couldn't feel her right I remember).

If I understand it right, the bond with Stefan was ended through something which the magician made. But I do not trust him real. So let's see if the bond really exists no longer!

Greetings to all

Tanis143

• Grease Monkey
    • My webspace
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2009, 08:35:37 am »
It worked out like this: Blackwood feed from Mercy twice and had the original bond. When Stephan fed from Mercy on the way back he broke Blackwood's bond with his own. The third time Blackwood fed from Mercy he broken Stephan's bond in the same way, but his bond was dissolved when he died. So now Stephan lost his bond and Mercy is bondless. Neither of these bonds really had any effect on her bond with Adam as that was on a whole other level. Her bond with Adam and the pack wasn't affected by either bond with Stephan or Blackwood, Mercy just temporarily glitched it when she lost herself in the pack.

As far as Stephan lying about her bond, I don't think thats the case. As my above paragraph states, the bonds of one vamp can be removed by the placement of another vamp's bond as long as the bond is weak enough. When Blackwood died Mercy lost the latest bond to a vamp she had, so she is no longer bound to any vamps. Stephan was probably more upset about this because Mercy was the last bond he could feel since he lost the bonds to his herd. Kind of like if a normal person lost all memory of where they put all their food and now had to go out and search for something to eat. Maybe there was a slight emotional attachment as Stephan views Mercy as a friend outside of the vamp realm, but it I do not think it was much more than that.
Um, I guess this is my sig.......

Tanis143

• Grease Monkey
    • My webspace
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2009, 08:37:52 am »
Blah, I'm not in it for the romance, I'm in for that action!

;D ;D ;D

All joking aside, I can see your point. After too much of this "Must sacrifice myself for those that I love no matter how much I suffer" you just want to smack that person. Even in my depths of testosterone I too grow tired of that. 
Um, I guess this is my sig.......

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #253 on: February 26, 2009, 09:20:23 am »
I love that scene where she goes to Aurielle - MINE :D
That scene showed that Mercy isnt one to back away now and its a full commitment you dont really get in some urban fantasy

Actually, it wasn't just that.  I think that scene was intended to show that Mercy's not going to be a burden to Adam as his mate.  Obviously, choosing Mercy has his mate and then making her Pack creating some problems for Adam in that not everyone in his Pack is happy about it.  Now...either Adam has to expend energy to deal with that kind of rebellion...or Mercy, as his mate and a fairly dominant person in her own right, can take care of it herself.  Which she does.  That's why she's telling Aurielle to "suck it up and deal with it."  She's not just staking her claim on Adam and making sure that his people know she's committed and there to stay.  She's also saying, "If you've got a problem with me, come to ME...don't go running like a whiny little wuss to Adam and add your problems to his already full plate."  She's making it clear that she's able and willing to shoulder some of the burdens of pack-alpha.  She's Adam's PARTNER.  She's not just his girlfriend or his "pack and only lover."

In the few scenes we've seen with Leah, Leah hasn't done that.  She uses Bran's power for her own purposes.  We haven't seen her try to use his power for the betterment of the Pack.  Mercy's making it clear that she may now be able to access Adam's power and position and authority, but she'll do so for the benefit of the Pack.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #254 on: February 26, 2009, 12:40:21 pm »
I so agree with you there- hence why I dont thing things are going to work out for Bran and Leah in the long run even if they manage to work out their issues. Leah sees that as a status thing while Mercy appreciates it and understands the full implications of being an Alpha's mate.