Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 155277 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2009, 10:04:44 am »
Werewolves are a miniscule portion of any population, but they are (many think of themselves as) monsters, so that's not a really good question.  However, The JLS thinks of all things magical as threats, so yes, I don't doubt that they consider werewolves as a threat and will include them in their hate list.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Tish

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2009, 12:13:28 pm »
I was thinking too it was the vampire influence both Blackwood sucking on her neck and Stefan. *shivers*

Well...the only reason I didn't think it was the vampire influence was that (my understanding was that) Blackwood severed Stefan's bond with Mercy when he started feeding off her again (the 2nd time).  And Mercy severed Blackwood's bond with her when she killed him.  So at the end of the book, she's no longer tied to either vampire, and is only tied to Adam and the wolves. 

I thought her healing and strength was due to the mate bond as well. Her and Adam has just cemented it before she left for Spokane.  And in Cry Wolf Charles tells Anna about the couple who's WW is mated to a blind woman and she can see when he's in the room with her.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #212 on: February 16, 2009, 12:40:19 pm »
Just because the bond with Blackwood is gone, that doesn't mean that the strength/healing effects of drinking his blood are instantly gone too, any more than all the effects of the fae goblet were gone when Tim died.
That's my take.
But, yes, pack & mate bonds could also be part of it, poured in from Adam when he felt her need. 
Come to think of it, she could probably get those stitches out right away then too.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2009, 09:51:22 am »
I just realised something about the alpha/pack bonds! Adam uses the bonds to help him heal and Mercy is his mate so perhaps there is something to it because she is the co-alpha!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Tanis143

• Grease Monkey
    • My webspace
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2009, 11:45:40 am »
Ok, hopping into the discussion late, just finally broke down and bought the hard cover. First off, wow! The part of Mercy being made pack had me re-read it twice to fully understand what had happened( I read at such a fast clip I miss things from time to time). This book closed down a few threads (retribution for killing Andre' and what Adam and Mercy's status is) but opened new avenues that I hope are explored, such as her ability to control ghosts. Now I see why Vamps feared walkers so much. All it would take is her to command a ghost to shove a steak into a Vamp so she could kill him.

Overall this is another shinning example of why her books are so popular. The only complaint I have is that I had to buy a hard cover  >:( Now I'll have to trade it and get the paperback when it comes out.
Um, I guess this is my sig.......

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2009, 11:53:50 am »
Hey, Tanis.  Wouldn't it be nice if the publishers could offer both simultaneously?

My editor/word geek side came out to play.  I looked at this sentence:

All it would take is her to command a ghost to shove a steak into a Vamp so she could kill him.
And had this picture of someone trying to shove a filet mignon through Marsilia's chest.
Then I wondered if in this world, like Robin McKinley's "Sunshine" there are specific types of stake that are more effective, and if some werewolf horticulturist, like Asil, grows the specific tree types.  With or without mistletoe.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2009, 11:55:06 am »
Like the rowan stake Zee gave Mercy?
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2009, 12:08:10 pm »
D'oh!  Yes. . .

PurpleMoon

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2009, 06:43:09 pm »
you see my theories about vampires and ghosts are extremely WILD lol  ;D ... I have some of these sometimes, so I was thinking the other day about Grandmother death, she was a vampire and still, was a ghost after Blackwood killed her (maybe I should put this in the ''what if...'' section)...So What if a vampire is nothing but a more elaborate type of ghost? See, vampires are not alive, they're dead, they only pretend to breathe to appear more human...maybe this is part of the vampire magic, blood magic, that bounds the spirit/soul/ghost to the body, not like a zombie that is bound with ordinary magic, the blood magic would be something a little stronger AND, of course, the older the vampire is the stronger the blood bound between ghost and body would be and harder to a walker to take control over the ghost *inside* the body, that's why the new vampires still have to feed from their creators, the bond is still not complete, not strong enough ...  So, in my theory, it wouldn't be the point of the walker ordering ghost to kill a vampire but the walker being able to control lesser vampires against their master...uhhhhh...that would be SO cool LOL.... but just my wild wanderings...

''Amazing who you can meet in an Elevator..''
Big Al - White Witch, Black Curse

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2009, 07:03:35 pm »
And interesting idea. Maybe mercy will soon find she can comand vampires too.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2009, 05:41:10 am »
I've been thinking about the possibility of Mercy controlling vampires and I'm not sure it's possible. Afterall, she couldn't control Amber, she only got her to leave her body, once she had taken away the only one reason why Amber stayed behind.

Then I thought perhaps she could kill a vampire getting their spirit to leave the body in a similar way. But, again perhaps a vampire has more than one reason for staying behind in the first place, especially if you have to break all connections.

As for ghost being used to stake a vampire - wouldn't that take up a massive amount of energy? And perhaps Mercy would need a vampire ghost or one that's not a repeater.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2009, 06:49:26 am »
I think he will remain loyal to her, perhaps he thinks he owes her for keeping him alive when he was first turned into a vampire, afterall by rights he should have been killed. But I think he will make her work for his return but I also feel that he needs to go back, and that would all make for interesting reading.

Does anyone get the impression that a lone vampire is as bad as a lone wolf?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2009, 11:44:09 am »

Does anyone get the impression that a lone vampire is as bad as a lone wolf?

Good point, Pendle; it does seem that way from the examples we've seen, doesn't it?  I wonder if Lily the musician had a period when she was essentially alone, and it's contributed to her problems?

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2009, 12:00:19 pm »
I just realised something about the alpha/pack bonds! Adam uses the bonds to help him heal and Mercy is his mate so perhaps there is something to it because she is the co-alpha!

Meaning that Mercy could now heal faster thanks to the mate bond to Adam? :)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2009, 12:12:53 pm »
^ Yep- we were speculating about earlier but Adam uses it to help himself at times when he needs it. Perhaps the healing instinctively/unconsciously happened especially when Blackwood beat her up badly. She mentioned she was expecting something was broken, So perhaps it was a combo of the vampire blood and the pack/mate bond.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D