Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 158448 times)

mimi

• Grease Monkey
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2009, 04:08:49 pm »
Yeah, and in a weird way, I think it's almost MORE sadistic that she didn't kill them, but just tortured him for no reason other than to meet her own ends. b-tch. >:D

Yes, I thought so, too.  But, I also would not have put it past her to actually kill them all.  And, I guess from the way I've interpreted her character I took it at face value that they had all died since Stefan's connection had been severed.  I know she's so sure of Stefan that she felt she could do this and he still wouldn't turn away from her, but I'm not so sure it worked.  He certainly didn't seem very happy to see her when she showed up at Mercy's door.  It's going to be very interesting to see just how loyal he is in the next book.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2009, 04:15:48 pm »
I tend to agree with the reason being subconcious guilt.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2009, 04:21:38 pm »
I think his loyalty was already tested to it's outer limits and he stayed loyal. He also said he understood Marsillia's reasons, so he went back instead of just remaining neutral. In a way, I think this episode will be more of a challenge for the core of decency he still has. It might just confirm to him that he is doomed to be a monster, and cannot ever escape that fate. Hopefully Mercy can help him through that.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

SiFiFan

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2009, 08:25:12 pm »
Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

1) I'm glad there will be someone for Samuel and that we haven't met her yet. She will have to be someone special to get Mercy's stamp of approval. (Not that Sam needs her approval). :)

2) Regarding the quick healing Mercy experienced after being beat by Blackwood. I attributed it to the lingering healing effects of drinking from the fae goblet. It never occurred to me that the pack bond or the blood exchange had anything to do with it. (Hmmm more for me to ponder).

3) I agree, I think the oak tree is a gift from oakman and a statement that Mercy is a friend to the fae.

Finally, like most everyone else I want more and I want it now!! Dang, I hate having to wait another year for the story to continue...

SiFiFan

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2009, 08:32:15 pm »
On #2, one problem;  The damage the Fideal did has not healed.  Stitches, remember?  And the bruising she anticipated from the incident in the dojo.
Plus the hickeys Blackwood put on her at Amber's house.
Nope.  Don't think so!  Nice try, though.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2009, 08:34:43 pm »
I guess I attributed it to the vampire feeding since not long before she was commenting on the vampire feeding having other effects, i.e. making her stronger.

chickidee04

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2009, 08:56:08 pm »
I just finished the book today and I have to say I was very pleased with the way Marsilia's plot unfolded. The reasons for her actions were explained to the reader in a way that was easy to understand without being a bad-guy monologue. And despite Marsilia being a nut bag, she's still a vamp, and I think everything worked out the way she wanted it to, except that Stephan didn't come running back to her.

About Stephan, I've been thinking about his character and how he several times went out of his way to show Mercy what a "monster" he is, and I think he's trying to convince himself as much as her. Sure, he's known as the Soldier, he's very old and very powerful, but I think he fears he's become a softie. He obviously cares about his sheep and Mercy, and this surely is seen as a weakness to the other vampires, and possibly even making him question himself. He told her repeatedly that he would have killed her if Adam hadn't been there when Marsilia dropped him in her trailer, but to me it sounds like he was trying to convince himself that he's still a big scawy vampire who doesn't let his feelings cloud his judgment. He needs to believe that he would have killed her without hesitation. The fact that he was so easily manipulated by Marsilia (who is a few cards short of a full deck) probably indicates to him that he's losing his touch, which makes him very vulnerable to attack from other vampires. He's probably afraid for his (un)life.

I'm not usually a fan of spoilers, but I must say I am glad there is a woman for Sam who hasn't been introduced yet, because for one horrifying moment I thought he might take notice of Jesse.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:18:53 pm by chickidee04 »

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2009, 01:48:34 am »
I'm quite frankly amazed (and scared) how a easy a little fooling around, and harmless flirting can put even a good-guy in a bad light with you gals. :o

You know, men (and I guess werewolves) do think, very occassionally, of something else, too. ;)
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2009, 05:41:28 am »
Actually, I'm a little scared by it, too, Gerd, and I am one of 'you gals'.  Especially since I didn't see any flirting in that scene at all. 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2009, 05:47:23 am »
Me either- I saw it as brotherly/sisterly joshing, I think its because Sam hasnt got anyone to be matched up with and it was a fun scene - hopefully we will get to meet and speculate about Sam's mate in a later book. And I bet it will be several candidates :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2009, 07:04:14 am »
I'm with Has and Ellyll, I saw nothing wrong in that scene...

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2009, 07:06:50 am »
Yeah, me too...  Sam is such a white picket fence kinda guy.

Howl~n~Growl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2009, 08:15:16 am »
I must have missed something, cuz I didn't see anything wrong either, just Sam being Sam...was there supposed to be flirting there? If so I completly missed it.
"Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form" - Alexander Skarsgard

"Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls" - George Carlin

chickidee04

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2009, 08:17:12 am »
I didn't read anything into that scene, either. It was just something that occurred to me while musing about how I'd like to see more of Jesse, and how I'd like to see happiness for Sam.

Howl~n~Growl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2009, 09:00:12 am »
oh, ok.
"Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form" - Alexander Skarsgard

"Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls" - George Carlin