Author Topic: [Mercy #4] Bone Crossed Discussion  (Read 158118 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Bone Crossed Discussion
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2009, 02:24:09 pm »
Quite true!  That's something that Lois McMaster Bujold does well, and it's why Patty said, a while back, that she wants to grow up (as a writer) to be LMB.
Chasing people up 'impossible' trees, and then sawing at the branches, is one of her strengths.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2009, 02:29:09 pm »
You know I bet Mercy's Coyotiness is also going to be a factor in all the bond magic as well. She is a being that attracts chaos - and if a vampire or another magical being tries to take advantage of the pack bonds, I bet they will get a nasty surprise. Blackwood thought he would get another puppet - makes me wonder what shape the other walker was as well. Patty did say not all Walkers are coyotes- they can be elk/deer and even wolf!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2009, 02:48:18 pm »
Also, as I understand it - Yote, help me out here - Coyotes aren't pack animals.  Loners or pairs bringing up cubs and then drifting apart.  That could help make Mercy resistant to letting anyone else link into the pack through her.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

darklightsun

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2009, 03:56:27 pm »
I do have a question, though.  I was really surprised(confused)  that Stefan's flock survived.  I mean, isn't it more in character for Marsilia to have really killed them all?  Or, is this integral to a future plot line?  It just struck me as being a bit out of the blue, that's all. 

I do not want to assume that I know Patricia's plans for Marsilia, Stefan or his flock, but I believe that no matter how evil Marsilia is Stefan is truely the only being that she loves (outside of Andre).

This is totally speculation on my part, but I can see a point where Marsilia will see her own insanity, and passes the seethe to Stefan.

I just want to know who Bernard's creator is, and how he will effect the future of Mercy's friends.

DLS
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 02:37:07 pm by darklightsun »

lunasea

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2009, 03:59:57 pm »
Two things to add to the discussion.

1) page 234 Mercy tells everyone to wait because "I'm in the middle of a revelation." Darryl teases her "We'll have to wait for her revelation. We have a prophet for our Alpha's mate." Nice throw away line, but there are no such thing in well written books like Patty's. That revelation about what blocks her from giving herself to others will play an important role in her future and probably the pack's as well. In that same passage, part of her revelations "that meant he protected me from the vampires...and I protected him from what problems I could." What if this breaks down, Adam can't protect Mercy from vamps and she causes problems rather than protects him?

2) We know when Mercy was open to Adam, the mate bond settled in and she was connected to the pack bonds. This was so strong it overwhelmed four people. Darryl and Warren were able to step in and "tuck you back into your own skin." This does not bode well for the bonds to be weaker than normal. As Samuel said "The trick is to join with the pack and with Adam--without losing yourself to them. It's instinctual for the werewolves, but I expect you are going to have to work on it." I'm sure that working on will factor heavy in the next book.

Chaos could work for Marsilia or anyone who tries to take advantage of Mercy's bond with Adam. You can't predict who will get the nasty surprise. That's the nature of chaos.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2009, 08:05:19 pm »
She is willing to sacrifice herself for someone she loves and so did He. As such there is bound to be common themes. So the similarities are going to happen.
Just my two cents on the discussion :D
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

DeDanann

• Tinker
    • Pooka's Tales
« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2009, 05:40:25 pm »
I know a little about Celtic Mythology, in case anyone's intrigued about Lugh and the spear.  If not, just skip on past.... ;)

The web page with info about Lugh was humorous and interesting...but they missed a detail at the end.  Lugh actually wasn't accepted into the group because he was a great warrior...he was accepted because he was multi-talented.  When he asked to be admitted, they asked him what skills he could bring to the table.  Every time he mentioned a skill, they said, "That's great, but we already have someone who does that."  So at the end, Lugh says "Well, but do you have someone who is master of all of those skills at the same time?"  And they had to admit they didn't have anyone like that.  So he wasn't admitted for being any one thing, but for being all of those things combined.  That's why he's known in the mythology as Lugh Samildanach, which means something like "master of all the arts" or "multi-talented".

The other interesting thing about him is that he is the one who killed Balor of the Evil Eye in the last great battle between the Tuatha De Danann and the Fomorians, and he did it by casting a spear at Balor's eye.  He had a great magical spear called the Gae Bolga (if I remember right), but I'm not sure whether he made it himself.  In fact, I sort of doubt it because I think it was one of the main four ancient treasures of the Tuatha De Danann, which they brought with them from the four cities they migrated from when they moved to Ireland.  It's also known as the Spear of Lugh.

Lugh was a half-blood, the son of Balor's daughter Ethne, and Cian, a man of the Tuatha De Danann.  It was Lugh who helped the Tuatha De Danann come up with their battle plans so they could free themselves from Fomorian oppression.  There's a bit more about the events that actually sparked off the rebellion...but that's Another Story.

And now back to your regularly scheduled BC thread.  ;D

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2009, 05:51:23 pm »
Thanks for the info dump. :) Now I know more than I did.

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2009, 08:34:22 pm »

I do have a question, though.  I was really surprised(confused)  that Stefan's flock survived.  I mean, isn't it more in character for Marsilia to have really killed them all?  Or, is this integral to a future plot line?  It just struck me as being a bit out of the blue, that's all. 

I didn't think it was out of character or out of the blue, because she made it pretty clear that she did it to manipulate Stefan.   She wanted him to come back to her eventually.   I also thought it was kind of foreshadowed when Stefan told Mercy that Marsilia and Wulfe could break the connection between a vampire and his slaves.   

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2009, 08:45:58 pm »
Yeah, and in a weird way, I think it's almost MORE sadistic that she didn't kill them, but just tortured him for no reason other than to meet her own ends. b-tch. >:D

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2009, 09:02:49 pm »
So, if the Oakmen was correct and the stick was made by Lugh... I wonder what else it can do?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2009, 08:13:35 am »
It looks like it can change to fit into what it needs to be- Uncle Mike even said it although at the time it didnt make sense lol

But when Mercy was being raped - I think it helped her gain perspective and jog her out of the spell of the cup. With Fideal it helped to beat him back until Zee arrived and the spear against Blackwood!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2009, 09:22:38 am »
I can understand why she didn't kill them. I suppose she didn't want to push him away completely but wanted an avenue open for his return to the seethe. Anyway like darklightsun said she loves him.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2009, 09:36:46 am »
I noticed an interesting titbit...

Mercy and Adam have been to see Pirates of Penzance twice now! I wonder if anyone else spotted it.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2009, 09:47:23 am »
I think that was an injoke for the bone crossed thing :D- when the title was first known we speculated that it involved zombie pirates lol
In a way there was zombies and pirates ;D  But I think Mercy and Adam must be fans of the musical!