Author Topic: "Mercy's Garage" shirt styles. . ..  (Read 62076 times)

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
Re: "Mercy's Garage" shirt styles. . ..
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 03:03:35 pm »
I've ordered several Kelley Armstrong shirts from them. I've been satisfied with teh quality but their size chart, at least for plus sizes, is grossly inaccurate. According to their size chart I should be a 1X. It was waaaaay too small. I finally ended up with a 4X which fits perfectly.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 03:20:09 pm »
I really like the 3/4 sleeved shirt as well, if we only get one choice. 

I've also bought from Cafepress, and don't have any complaints about their products, if that helps any.
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

Grandpappy Wycked

• Pack Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 05:01:19 pm »
<i>Points loaded popcorn cannon<i/>HIJACK!

As much as I love the T-Shirt idea, I would really very much like a Mechanics Work Shirt with the Mercy's Garage logo on the back...<hint hint>

<i>We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread</i>
Sanity has Left The Building.
Please Contact Patti L. for further instructions.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 05:12:41 pm »
That's not a hijack, the idea is to air DIFFERENT indeas.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 06:54:02 am »
Wycked, I think that sounds like fun. :)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Omega

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 02:26:49 pm »
okay so ive had this idea for a while and have always wanted to say something...but it'd be hard to do .

Okay have you guys ever seen the tattoo shirts like the ones that harley davidson puts out that has sleeves that match skin tones ... I thought it'd be cool to make a shirt using those skin colored sleeves that had her arm tattoos as well as her other tattoos on the regular shirt... i never thought all the way thru about the rest of the style of the shirt and i love mercys garage on the back and idk maybe have a logo of hers or a shirt that she wears in one of the books like a saying on the front.... just an idea....

tangent

• Tinker
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 10:04:33 am »
Mike,
A warning re shirt sizing -- having worked in retail women's clothing sales (also called RTW, Ready to Wear) I will say without hesitation that clothing sizes for women are horribly variable and inaccurate.  I stay pretty much the same size and weight (thank you Geist and Keely, my canine exercise program) and depending on the maker and item, I can go to my closet right this minute and pull out items that all fit me well -- but vary between seven different sizes.  That's just for shirts.   Unlike the menswear department where a size 40 chest is a size 40 chest, and where pants are sold by waist and inseam sizes, all is pretty much made up as they go along in women's fashion, with the exception of bras.   Even the old standyby of S-M-L-XL can be a challenge, as a production run used to only include 4 sizes -- (S-M-L-XL) or (M-L-XL-XXL) for example --and they could still call a size 4 a small... or a size 8 a small... or a size 10 a small in the production run.   Best option is to decide on a manufacturer, then ask them for a detailed measurement chart of what THEY call each size.  No affiliation, but look at a "branded"  company website  specializing in catalog sales (like Lands' End) and then go to their measurement chart for a specific example.  Even they have challenges keeping sizing consistent whenever they pick up a new manufacturer for their branded product.

Good luck and thanks for thinking of us!     

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 10:34:41 am »
Arrrrggh!  It makes my poor head hurt.  I suppose that's why I can run by a men's store and do my yearly clothes shopping in under an hour, while our daughters take three hours to pick out a pair of jeans.  I'm not sure what to do about this.  We definitely saw this issue when I had the "ladies T's" in the store.  They ran tiny . . . REALLY tiny.  It didn't help that they were made of some stretchy material that was like 50% lycra, and were designed to fit like a second skin.  I'm almost embarrassed  that we sold those -- they were not as modest as I'd hoped, and you certainly wanted to wear a bra under them.

Anyway, I think I may stay with just mens styles for now -- they're not as flattering to women, but they are fairly consistent in size. 

Thanks for the heads up -- it's good to know where dangers lie before I run into them headlong.

Mike
Where's my super-suit?

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 10:57:26 am »
If you want added complications :D

European sizes are also different as well and thats not including the UK ones which is different to Europe- so if I order any clothing from the states online which is rare then thats a headache to calculate. There is also the same issue with sizing here in - while one store a shirt can be a size 12 (UK) yet it can be smaller or bigger in a different one. So much for universal standards :P
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

tangent

• Tinker
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 04:04:21 pm »
Yet another option is to go for something like the garage workshirts that's not "fashion wear" - just as much fun, and the less-than perfect sizing is appropriate for the style.

Oh, I feel for shopping with daughters, Mike -- and the sizing issue is a large part (though not entirely all to blame ;).    You have no idea how I drool at the thought of being able to call and ask if a store carries my size pants with a 30 inch inseam and actually get an answer!

Has brings up another excellent point, that of European sizing.   I got savy enough to shop for shoes in European sizing 'cause that worked perfectly for me there -- but go in a dress store on the Hauptstrasse and try to find women's clothes?  Ohhhh nooooo, and so sad because there were so many styles, so many choices....   

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:22 pm »
I've gone rounds with our printer trying to figure out how to do garage work shirts.  The problem is, we can't print the design on dark colors.  However, as clothes start getting more expensive, and the fit more important, the likelihood of returns, exchanges etc. increases.   Our little excuse for a store isn't very well equipped to handle those -- inevitably we end up losing a fair bit of money in the process.  I think the patches may be the solution.  I'll get them up on the store soon, but we actually have both 9.5" (very large) and 3.5" versions of the Mercy's Garage logo as embroidered patches. 

They look awesome, and the readers can put them on ANY shirt, jacket, book-bag or whatever.  Suddenly, I'm not responsible for the sleeves on an XL being too long, or the blue not looking quite shame shade as someone's monitor.   ;D   Heck, the patches even fit women's sizes well. ;D
Where's my super-suit?

Talisman Maker

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 03:59:20 am »
I think patches are the best way to go.  One size fits all and very few returns.  They should also be cheaper to ship and store, being smaller than bulky shirts.  Plus, if someone orders one, you only have two piles to choose from (small and large) instead of 5 different sizes, with colors mixed in.  I would like to see a heat transfer patch though for t-shirts.  The embroidered patch will work awesome on jackets and heavier things, but not so much on t-shirts.

Maybe something like these?
http://www.rogeneration.com/ht/ht.htm

http://www.kemotographics.com/

NOT complaining!!!  just some ideas for the future. 
Negativity is not healthy.  Eat some Phish Food and smile!

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 10:10:35 am »
Maybe something like these?
http://www.rogeneration.com/ht/ht.htm

http://www.kemotographics.com/

NOT complaining!!!  just some ideas for the future. 

What an awesome idea Talismanmkr, thank you.  I'll definitely keep that in mind, and maybe do some calling around.  But not today!
Where's my super-suit?

mackkitty2000

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 12:07:20 pm »
I know this is not very on topic, but in the original post you mentioned something about an original white tee with red trim... Do you still have those in stock? and if so, what sizes do you have? and how much do they cost?

gwynethh

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 10:12:07 am »
Are the large embroidered patches available yet? Cost?
My paypal is ready.

TIA
Gwyn