Author Topic: "Mercy's Garage" shirt styles. . ..  (Read 62077 times)

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
"Mercy's Garage" shirt styles. . ..
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:17:53 am »
OK, so we've been selling the same "Mercy's Garage" shirts for a while now.  After we moved to the tri-cities, I thought about having them built locally. . . but we really like Terry, and he's done awesome work.  So, we're going to go ahead and have the shirts built in Butte Montana and shipped to us. 

I've been told that my fashion sense is somewhere between terrible and non-existent, and I keep expecting to be featured on one of those fashion disaster shows.  So, I'm appealing to our fashion-conscious forum members for help.   

I'm discontinuing the white tee-shirts with the red trim (there's still a whole bunch left), and I'm ordering a Haynes ash-colored pocket-T instead.  The ash color looks good with the silk-screen, and the whole shirt looks a lot less "Back-to-the-80's".   Terry suggested that I should get a ladies shirt as well (probably also in an ash or heather color, because dark or bright colors don't work well with the logo).  He pointed me to his primary supplier's web page, and asked me to pick one.  Big mistake.

So, ladies, if you're tired of generic, baggy, heavyweight men's shirts, I'm willing to buy something soft and cuddly and feminine.  However, if I buy ten each of six sizes, that's about sixty shirts, which is probably going to cost about $800, so I'd really appreciate your input before I write the check.  ;D

Go to Sanmar.com and pick your favorite ladies shirt and color.  If several folks pick the same one (hah!, like that'll happen) I'll know what to order.  :D
Where's my super-suit?

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
Re: "Mercy's Garage" shirt styles. . ..
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 12:20:07 pm »
I clicked on several that I like but none were available n my size. I tried to find a size chart but didn't see one. It looks as if their sizes stop at 2X but I don't know what their 2X is equivalent to. If 2X is their largest then I can't order any more shirts.  :'(
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 12:30:20 pm »
Hah! Welcome to my world.  The coolest shirts are NEVER available in a wide range of sizes/colors.  One thing to look for on the larger sizes is that often the ladies shirts are offered in sizes to 2x, then in plus 1x and plus 2x.  As I understand it, those are actually XXXL and XXXXL, but re-labeled for political correctness (or something).  Hey, don't blame me, it wasn't MY idea! ??? :o
Where's my super-suit?

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 06:03:05 pm »
I clicked on several that I like but none were available n my size. I tried to find a size chart but didn't see one. It looks as if their sizes stop at 2X but I don't know what their 2X is equivalent to. If 2X is their largest then I can't order any more shirts.  :'(

I haven't checked these, but a size 2X should fit up to a size 22.
Esteemed member of the SOOGA

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 06:10:25 pm »

Don't know what style you are looking for,  but here is a style that goes up to 3X

http://www.sanmar.com/sanmar-servlets/CatalogBrowser?id=228419&parentId=63679&catid=125

Esteemed member of the SOOGA

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 03:11:26 pm »
As far as the shirt goes, since you can't do dark colors (my favorite black or grey), an ash grey, or off white-cream would be good.  Would a tan or khaki be too dark?  As long as you get a 2x unisex(better known as men's) I am covered size wise.  If you do a pocket T - consider putting the graphic on the back. I would then get a small patch for the pocket.  Just my thoughts.

Talisman Maker

• Tool Wrangler
Negativity is not healthy.  Eat some Phish Food and smile!

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 06:02:33 pm »
For what it's worth, I liked all the ones that talismanmkr pointed out. I have a weakness for jerseys sometimes, but I'm equally happy with regular or long-sleeved t-shirts. Fortunately, it's back in style to layer a long sleeved shirt under a short sleeved tee, so I can do that if you're only stocking short sleeved ones. :)

I'm not much for white tee shirts (or pink, for that matter, but doesn't sound like that was an option), but light greys and stuff are cool.

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 06:21:56 pm »
A fair number of us probably look better in a cream or off white rather than bright white or gray.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 09:05:15 pm »
A fair number of us probably look better in a cream or off white rather than bright white or gray.

OK, creams or tans work nicely.  I did one on a "camel" colored shirt that worked out very nicely.  I even did one on a stone-washed slate blue that came out pretty nice (but the yellow parts looked greenish).

Now, the problem with sleeve length and style goes back to that whole cost thing.  I need to stock about fifty to sixty shirts of whatever styles I make, so we can't do "all of the above", we'll have to pick one. 

For the sake of expediency, let's say we're going with one of talismanmkr's shirts -- which sleeve length would work for most people?   
Where's my super-suit?

Talisman Maker

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 04:41:48 am »
Short sleeves would be the best all around style.  I don't know about anyone else, but I don't wear long sleeves anytime but the late fall and winter. 

I have been known to wear 3/4 sleeves all year round, and the jerseys are usually pretty cool.  Cool enough to wear in 80F summers, at least. 

Again, personally I would rather buy the 3/4 sleeves, just from a style perspective, but I would be more than happy with the short sleeves. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 08:01:19 am »
3/4 are useful.  Us rounder people find the long sleeved ones coming down to our fingertips or beyond, and short sleeves nearly to our elbows.  I don't mind that, but I'm a long sleeve gal by preference, so these would work well for me - when I get around to buying some.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 08:39:28 am »

Don't know what style you are looking for,  but here is a style that goes up to 3X

http://www.sanmar.com/sanmar-servlets/CatalogBrowser?id=228419&parentId=63679&catid=125

I like that one.

I haven't checked these, but a size 2X should fit up to a size 22.

That's why I want a size chart. Depending on the company, I take anywhere from a 2X to a 4X. Most of the time, I'm a 3X.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 08:49:30 am »
I'm good with either the short-sleeved or the 3/4 sleeved ones. If there's a style that comes in more sizes, I'd recommend going for that. :P

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

Talisman Maker

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 08:59:29 am »
I'm good with either the short-sleeved or the 3/4 sleeved ones. If there's a style that comes in more sizes, I'd recommend going for that. :P

Ditto - I didn't even think of that...

Mike, Have you ever looked into something like Cafe Press?  They take your pre-existing pattern/logo and give you a variety of shirt/hat/mug/etc choices.  That way you don't have to buy and create shirts that you're not going to need.  They make them on an as needed basis.  They also have a limited selection of "plus sized" shirts.

http://www.cafepress.com/