Author Topic: Suggestions:  (Read 92864 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Suggestions:
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 06:24:14 pm »
I was just playing with the design. There is no store set up so they're not available for purchase. $60 is pricey. Unfortunately, there's no control over the pricing from Zazzle. The other shoe styles range lower but nothing less than $40. I'm a fan of the pull on like that because they're like my Vans.

I just threw them together so the design is off and unpixelated for the sides so they'd look a little off as well. Gah! I see the link actually works, I'll get Mike to just put up an image rather than a link.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 06:29:06 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Talisman Maker

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 04:12:14 am »
sorry Mike, I didn't know that Cafe Press cost so much from your side.  I've only seen it from the consumer side before. 
Negativity is not healthy.  Eat some Phish Food and smile!

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 04:02:20 pm »
sorry Mike, I didn't know that Cafe Press cost so much from your side.  I've only seen it from the consumer side before. 

Actually, I may have misspoken.  It's not that CafePress would cost me, personally, much.  The last time I looked it was basically free to upload an image and offer merchandise based on that image.  Just like it didn't cost Elle anything to design the shoes on Zazzle.  However, with most of these systems all I can do to affect prices is to ADD costs.

For example, a given shirt may have a base price of $18.  I can specify that I want to ADD $5.00 to that cost as a little bonus profit for me, but I can't do anything to lower the price.  The $60 price on Elle's shoes was not about Elle being a greedy little designer, that's what Zazzle charges for a pair of custom Keds.   When I looked at CafePress a couple of years ago, I wasn't super impressed with their quality, and the prices were steeper than what I'd like to charge Patty's readers.  Of course, in all fairness, they're not only printing the shirts, they're handling shipping, payment, returns . . . the whole tamale.   I've heard that the quality is currently pretty good, but I think I can provide a better value for the readers by doing most of the grunt work myself.  At least, that's the theory.  ;)

By the way, Elle sent me a photo of the shoes, and seems to be worried about people seeing the design -- I think it's fun to see how much work went into them.  Besides, maybe some will want to build an account and actually buy the shoes. . . I was tempted (at least until I saw the price).   Elle, you rock!
Where's my super-suit?

Litwolf

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 09:23:39 pm »
I dont know if its possible but a temporary tatoo like Mercy has, a coyote's paw print?

More realistically, how about a key chain? Either one with the Mercy's Garage logo, coyote's paw print, Aspen Creek logo, or anything else that catches your fancy! Id love to make my car keys heavier. All Ive got at the moment is a Serenity movie keychain and a Mokona (anime character) keychain.

*I survived the Great Chat Room Explosion of 01/24/09 AND 01/31/09! Did you?*

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 09:38:33 pm »
Oh....I like the keychain idea! Litwolf, another Browncoat...shiny. :D

Lanyards are an idea as well. I have a Browncoats one that I use at cons for my ID badge and such.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Litwolf

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 05:39:52 am »
*glomps fellow Browncoat* Shiny indeed!  ;D And I love your lanyard idea. Maybe with little paw prints all over it! *squees for joy*

Oh, what about necklaces with Mercy's little lamb on it? That would be adorable! And very handy for anyone looking to dress up like Mercy (which Im highly considering next Halloween, which is also why a temporary coyote paw print tattoo would be handy as well ^_^)

*I survived the Great Chat Room Explosion of 01/24/09 AND 01/31/09! Did you?*

Talisman Maker

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 06:44:23 am »
I'm sure you can find Lanyards with paw prints on it anywhere (in fact I have one from the teddy bear workshop) as well as a lamb pendant (in fact, you can go here http://www.countrysilver.com/shop/index.php?cat=2&shop=1& ).  I think Mike is looking for ideas that are specifically based on Patty's books.  Stuff that you would only be able to get if he had it made.

Shirts, keychains, posters, bumper stickers, etc. specifically aimed at patty's worlds.

something like..."Hurog.com...where dragons come alive!" OK, it's weak, but something along those lines.
Negativity is not healthy.  Eat some Phish Food and smile!

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 11:15:40 pm »
I like the keychain idea!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 11:37:14 pm »
A coffee cup that says on one side. "Property of Mercy's Garage" and on the other side the Mercy's Garage logo. I'd drink java out of that. :D

There are also those etched/logo dog tags that are out.
Hurog Means Dragon.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 01:31:10 am »
Oh! How about something being werewolf until I've had at least one cup of coffee on a coffee cup? That would really suit me ;D
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 04:46:58 am »
Oh, my.  How about a heat sensitive one?  Full moon when it's cool, howling wolf when it's warm, and print around it that says, "If you see the wolf, back off."  or something to that effect?
--Ignore me, that's probably way more trouble than we want you to deal with.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 08:24:02 am »
It's fun to play with the ideas though. I totally forgot all about there being heat sensitive ones. That's a cute idea!
Hurog Means Dragon.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 08:30:39 am »
This area is just for ideas, and there's a lot of good ones here.  Don't worry too much about how practical the ideas are.  I'm not very good at coming up with ideas, and I don't know sort of things people use.  I'd never have thought of lanyards or coffee cups.  On the other hand, I just sent a silver bullet off to a foundry to get a mold built and fifty silver bullet pendants made.  Coffee cups would certainly be cheaper!
Where's my super-suit?

Kate

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • Trying to stay Zen in the volcano...
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 08:48:11 am »
I don't actually drink coffee, but I love the big hard plastic mugs that have handles... like an oversized thermal mug that you can put soda or iced tea in. Logo or image ideas I don't have, but I'd go for a Hurog-Dragon themed one, too. :)

I don't want to write the great American novel. I want to write the great American beach read. It pays better!

tangent

• Tinker
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 04:49:37 pm »
And then there's a very different Alpha and Omega at <www.jamesavery.com>