Author Topic: Wulfe: Vampire, Wizard, and Witch, Oh my!  (Read 1833 times)

YuleRule

• Tinker
Wulfe: Vampire, Wizard, and Witch, Oh my!
« on: March 16, 2021, 06:50:00 pm »
So, Wulfe.

So I reread Burn Bright, Smoke Bitten, and Storm Cursed today, in that order.

And I noticed something interesting. Aside from Wulfe being a white witch, and all, in the beginning of Storm Cursed, Sherwood (his wolf) blesses Adam's house:
“As for other mischief—my song has claimed this place for now. No evil may enter without invitation. They cannot come in.” He glanced beyond us, behind Adam and me, toward the basement. “Not for a while.”

And in Smoke Bitten, Mercy details pretty clearly that:
The night the witches had died, Wulfe had been injured. Not physically, but mentally or spiritually or something—and it had been my fault. We brought Wulfe back with us, unconscious and babbling by turns, and Ogden, the pack member who was carrying him, had brought Wulfe into the house.

I found out later that he’d had no idea he was carrying a vampire. He didn’t know Wulfe personally, and something—probably my whammy—had affected his scent. But Ogden shouldn’t have been able to just bring Wulfe into the house. A vampire must be verbally invited into a home by someone who lives in that space. I suspect, given the function of our home for the wolves, that any member of our pack could invite a vampire in—but Ogden swore he hadn’t said a word to anyone.

So Wulfe could come and go in our home anytime he wished. Maybe he’d always been able to.

So whether or not Wulfe has to obey thresholds like other vampies may be open to debate (Does he need to be anymore scarier? Or should one just assume that NONE of the vampire rules work on him at all?)

Anyway. Sherwood had just blessed the house so that no evil may come in. (Not without invitation) (And is that an accident, I wonder, that the same mechanics as for Vampires is inlaid in that blessing?)

But anyway. If that blessing, protection, was active at the time Wulfe was loopy from Mercy's Be at Peace command, what does that mean? That he was not evil only in that moment?  That he was fundamentally changed, somehow?

Sherwood seems to be powerful, so I'm pretty sure that blessing was thorough.

Just, food for thought.
Please Check These Out!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Wulfe: Vampire, Wizard, and Witch, Oh my!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 07:24:38 pm »
Wulfe was broken by the Master of Milan, who knows?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Iceonovich

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 07:43:10 pm »
Wulfe being a resident on the area before pretty much any mortal who is remaining it is probably acurate to say any claim he has is probably the oldest claim by a current resident. Now if Wulfe staked out his home as the hole area ( valley, township, county,...?) what would be the effect of building your house inside of a vampires home?  How protected is your house?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 09:39:01 pm »
Night explain how he was carried into the pack home without being invited.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 05:36:40 am »
It might, but I have reservations about how big a space any vampire can consider its home. Wouldn't think they could claim more than about an acre.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 11:24:32 am »
Wulfe being a resident on the area before pretty much any mortal who is remaining it is probably acurate to say any claim he has is probably the oldest claim by a current resident. Now if Wulfe staked out his home as the hole area ( valley, township, county,...?) what would be the effect of building your house inside of a vampires home?  How protected is your house?

It's been my impression that Wulfe is a European native who arrived in the PNW with Marsilia, considerably later than the native NA or even the colonial European population. Even if current mortals weren't alive when he arrived - I don't recall the exact time frame - that doesn't mean he could lay claim to their territory, which they received in some cases from their ancestors. For one thing, it's Marsilia's territory, not his. For another, nothing we've seen indicates that vampire territory is held in that manner, or the history of the Mercyverse (or any number of UF/PNF 'verses) would be very different.