Author Topic: Kirsten Britain  (Read 38449 times)

Lakritz

• Tool Wrangler
    • Literaturzeitung außerdem
Kirsten Britain
« on: September 21, 2008, 08:15:14 am »
Anybody read her green rider series? I loved the first two books and the third is also a good read - although she's overdone all the mystic forces there in my opinion.
Basically the books are about a girl who gets a calling she never expected or wanted and stumbles into all kind of events which lead to her resuing the world (as usual ;)) and falling in love with her king. nice world-building  good characters and one or two really surprising twists in the story. The second book is structured really interesting too - I enjoyed it on several levels!
no signatures, no comment

Goddess of the Night

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Kirsten Britain
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:22:44 am »
I have read her first two books and I enjoyed them. KB isn't my favorite author but she is in my top 10. I haven't read the third book yet, I am waiting for it to come out in paperback. Compared to the Mercy series (Patricia Briggs) or the Jax series (Ann Aguirre) it can seem slow, but the world is really interesting.
~*~ Nyx ~*~ Goddess of the Night ~*~

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 09:43:49 am »
I loved Green Rider I think that's the name of the first one. The second one was awesome too, but I seem to remember waiting a very long time for the 3rd book to come out, and by the time it had, I had forgotten about it. However, I found a free slightly chewed hardback copy of it at the local used bookstore, so when I go on break, I plan on re-reading the entire series.

I would definitely recommend this series to anyone who likes fantasy. I enjoyed it very much when I read it. :)

Lakritz

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 10:20:07 am »
my sister had a preorder for the hardcover of "the high kings tomb" on amazon - and it drifted over to my place about two weeks ago. So I've read it about three times 'til now - but  as I said - for my taste the first two books were better. And yes being a fan of her has it's drawbacks  because there ist so much time in between the books!

Goddess of the Night

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:45:12 am »
They are longer books then other writters. Cry wolf was 294 pgs. Green Rider (book 1, by KB) is 471 pgs and First Riders Call (book 2, by KB) is 596 pgs.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 11:44:24 am »
I am still waiting on the paperback version of The High King.

SMichelle

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 02:43:17 pm »
I loved the first 2, but was a little disappointed in the third.  I mean after 4 years of waiting, I wanted some resolution in a certain quarter already!

As it took 5 years for the second book "First Riders Call" to come out and 4 years before we saw "The High Kings Tomb" do you think we'll see the next in the series sometime in 2010?

Yea gods!  I'm glad most authors have at least one book come out a year!
Yes, but she's like 'Ooh! Pretty colors!' then 'Muahahaha! I am princess stabbity, stab, kill, kill!' -Alistair DA:O

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 08:05:36 pm »
I love this series - I even bought the last one in hardcover. It's been so long since I read it though, I might have to re-read it soon. Britian does take a looooonnnnggg time to write, though! It really seems excessive. But I love the series.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Jazzlet

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 04:56:02 am »
Somewhere there is another Britain thread that I started ages ago ;D

I too am wating for the paperback of The High King's Tomb, it does take a long time between books, but she doesn't write full time >:(

Goddess of the Night

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 08:15:44 am »
Wow, I didn't know she doesn't write full time. It must be hard to keep track of the story line of such a long book and a series if you are only working on it part time. Maybe that's why there is such a long wait between books, she has to keep going back and figuring out what's going on.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:42:10 am by Goddess of the Night »

Lakritz

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 09:11:08 am »
well   also got the impression  that the difference between the first two books and the last was  that Kirsten Britain didn't really have an inspiration on how to go on. The first two books surprised me several times with unusual twists in the plot and insights into the main characters  that were absolutely believable. With the third book I got the feeling  that she was doing everything that worked well with the first books - but nothing new and surprising. So instead of the new she did more of the things that worked before... and that is sometimes too much for my taste!
Perhaps that is also one of the reasons it did take so long - perhaps she did try to find another fascinationg new angle like the Hadrian El Fex journal in Green Riders Call... and just didn' get one.
But  what the heck  it is still a good book and quite above some other stuff that's on the market... and much more than I ever could hope to achieve!!!

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 06:11:56 pm »
I really enjoyes these stories! Yeah it tis too bad we have to wait so long in between stories, but hopefully she sells enough soon that she can write full time. That would be awesome!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 08:56:17 pm »
Doesn't she work as a park ranger or something?
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 09:49:27 pm »
The third book is out? Oh my, I guess I'd better go see about getting my hands on a copy of the first two and see if I can find the new one in ebook format somewhere.
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 10:16:32 am »
I just looked on her web site and she no longer works as a park ranger. She now writes full time! Maybe she will get them out faster... crossing my fingers and praying...

http://www.kristenbritain.com/bio.html
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien

Suzi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 03:38:33 pm »
I doubt if she will speed up, cos if I remember rightly, she gave up the day job between Green Rider and First Rider's call.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 11:22:54 am »
Oh... That's disapointing :'(

Janilee

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 12:38:57 pm »
Just read that the fourth book, Blackveil, has been sent to the publisher.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 02:10:21 pm »
Thanks for the info! It's good to have a title, at least :)

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 07:19:30 pm »
I still haven't gotten book 3.  How is it compared to 1 and 2?

Janilee

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 12:21:38 pm »
It has been a while since I read it. I remember enjoying it. Enjoyed the plot twists. Vaguely remember being ticked off at the nobleman from court who was in love with her. Can't be more specific than that.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 12:50:16 pm »
I liked book 3 a lot. I think it's definitely worth reading. It's less convoluted than 2 was, I think.

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 01:39:59 pm »
Thanks Janilee and Cerulean I will move it up on my wishlist.

odile

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 10:09:20 am »
There' s a new book  bOuNcY bOuNcY bOuNcY bOuNcY didn't know :) :) :) :) :) :) looking now, thinking,  waiting for delivery....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:12:53 am by odile »

SilverWolf

• Tool Wrangler
    • My DeviantART Gallery
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 10:55:47 am »
Kristen updated today:

http://kristenbritain.com/news.html

Of special note is at the end (emphasis by me):

And now for the real news. Drumroll please! I've acquired a publication date for Blackveil: April 2011. I know it sounds like a long way off, but in publishing time (which is a little like geologic time), it is not. There is all that production and marketing stuff that needs to happen between now and then. In the meantime, you can bet your booties I'll be working hard on the fifth Green Rider book! Yay!
"She walks, you leave together, pockets full, debts paid. She sings . . . you leave alone." ~Love Never Dies

"16-year-old Lareina and her sister are in the wrong dimension and don’t know it." Fingerprints by R.C. Lewis

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 02:25:58 pm »
Finally! I need to find my copies of her books sometime this year and re-read. I'm not sure at all where they are.

SilverWolf

• Tool Wrangler
    • My DeviantART Gallery
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 02:09:15 pm »
Another new update:
http://kristenbritain.com/news.html

New Publication Date
        May 4th, 17:44

Yup, new news. Our wait for Blackveil is now slightly shorter. It is now scheduled for February of 2011. My editor tells me that's what I get for writing such a tight book! I'll, uh, let you know if this date changes.... :-)
"She walks, you leave together, pockets full, debts paid. She sings . . . you leave alone." ~Love Never Dies

"16-year-old Lareina and her sister are in the wrong dimension and don’t know it." Fingerprints by R.C. Lewis

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 12:57:13 pm »
Blackveil just showed up on Amazon.com for me with a handy cover picture and everything. I've just pre-ordered it.

Jazzlet

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 10:14:26 am »
 bOuNcY :D

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 03:08:04 am »
can't wait for that book! I'm glad I started reading her books when book 3 was out already, or I would have gone crazy. years of waiting inbetween books is not good for my sanity :D

GW  WK  WH

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 05:00:09 am »
Or it can make you completely stop thinking of that author in order not to go mad.
*saunters off to see if she can order some books*

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

SilverWolf

• Tool Wrangler
    • My DeviantART Gallery
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 08:42:05 am »
Well, Blackveil is released today in the U.S.

I'm thinking of taking a quick 'lunch' break and running over to Border's bookstore that's nearby my work and grabbing it (the only hard part is that I won't be able to read it until after work *lol*).

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 10:53:59 am »
Well, Blackveil is released today in the U.S.

I'm thinking of taking a quick 'lunch' break and running over to Border's bookstore that's nearby my work and grabbing it (the only hard part is that I won't be able to read it until after work *lol*).

Yay! Thanks for reminding me! I'd preordered it and it's on my Kindle now. I know what I'm doing tonight.

SilverWolf

• Tool Wrangler
    • My DeviantART Gallery
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 11:30:34 am »
Okay, dang annoying.

The Borders by my work didn't have it (not too surprising, there have been quite a few things that I've expected them to have that they haven't). So I decided to make a quick run up to my local Barnes & Noble (I had even checked the website this morning and they said that location had it in stock), they didn't have it on the shelves. I was already taking too long for my lunch break so I couldn't really wait around and pester anybody, I'll have to go back after work and see if they've put it on the shelves (I'm wondering if they have it but that their stock-boys/girls just haven't gotten around to it yet). Otherwise, I am fully willing to order it online as soon as I get home and get next day shipping to get it tomorrow (yes, I know I could buy the ebook version, but I'm the type that just has to have the physical book & paper between my hands)

SilverWolf

• Tool Wrangler
    • My DeviantART Gallery
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 08:51:08 am »
Well, I finished the book last night. I think a good part of me is still trying to digest all that happened.

In general, however, I don't think it's the best of the series, I think it suffers from a 'middle-installment' syndrome that I've seen happen sometimes, like the author knows what's going to happen in the later books, but needed a 'filler book' to get there. There was, I felt, a lot of stuff that was left unresolved in this book. And as for the end? I don't think I've ever read a book with a cliff-hanger like that. I truly hope that with her writing full time now (as I believe she said on her blog at one point) we don't have to wait so many years between installments.

More specific thoughts (warning, spoilers ahead, hence the spoiler tags)

I fully admit that I was bawling when Karigan found out about Alton and Estral's relationship. Maybe it's because I can relate to Karigan - everyone pairing off with someone leaving her alone, but yeah. That really pulled at me.

Speaking of relationships, Captain Mapstone continues to irritate me with her manipulation of the Zachary/Karigan situation. I mean, I can understand her point of view to a degree (good of the kingdom and all), but the way she's handling it with both Karigan and Zachary is just frustrating.

Then speaking of manipulation. I was very disturbed by Zachary's advisers (save Laren, in this regard, at least she was trying to do what the law dictated) and their manipulation of Estora and of Zachary (in the state that he was in). The deathbed wedding and worst of all, what amounted to Zachary being raped (yes, I did just say that a male character was raped) in order to consummate the marriage. I know there are some people in reviews I've read and what not that hold Estora as much responsible as those like Spane and Colin and the others, and while my like/estimation of her has gone down, I don't think I hold her as responsible - she was blackmailed and manipulated herself - drugged even. Yes, she knew the wine was drugged and she drank it knowing that, but I do believe she had every intention of doing what she could to just sleep through that night with nothing happening - only when she tried to calm Zachary in his delusions did she loose control to the drug. I dunno, I was more annoyed with Estora in this book than I have been with her in the past, I just don't know how much I actually blame her for what happened, she was very much a pawn in others machinations.

I admit I wasn't too broken up about her father dying, however. I never liked his character.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in Beryl's 'questioning' of Spane... that man deserves every ounce of pain that she can inflict on him.

In regards to the events in Blackveil forest/Argenthyne, I think Grandmother is the creepiest female villain I've read in a while.

I did love that right off the bat we got a very good taste of just how dangerous the forest was (with the vampire-hummingbirds), it definitely helped set the tone for what their journey was going to be like.

Skipping to the end, I know a lot of people (again, in reader reviews I've read) that had issue with Yates death and thought it was unnecessary. While I was saddened by it, and of course I don't think he deserved to die, I won't say that I was surprised by the circumstances. We've known since the 2nd book (FRC) that Mornhaven, in his current 'non-corporeal' form, has the ability to possess people and animals. I doubt he's able to possess Eletians and so all that was left were the remaining Riders, given that Karigan was holding the mask (I think that, and that Mornhaven had to be given the mask, he couldn't just take it, protected her somewhat), that left Lynx and Yates - it was going to be one of them.

I believe Karigan is quite possibly in the Tombs beneath Zachary's castle - whether she's in the same time frame, I'm not sure (perhaps she skipped a bit ahead and everyone else needs to catch up with her - much like what happened to Mornhaven). I do think, however, that Lynx will return to the castle, with her gone it will be believed that she's dead and her 3 letters that she wrote will come into play - which could make things interesting when she shows up alive.

I may need to read the book a few more times to fully absorb everything that occurred, and like I said earlier, I really hope we don't have to wait so long for #5.

edit: forgot one other point I wanted to make In regards to Karigan's mother, Kariny, and that 'heritage'. I still think there's something there and part of me wonders if that family line isn't too unlike the Golden Guardian's line in that there might be a touch of Eletian flowing in Karigan's veins. Just a thought
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:03:07 am by SilverWolf »

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2011, 09:32:31 am »
Silverwolf, I also finished this last night and I agree with pretty much everything you said. (warning, real spoilers ahead)

The book had a lot of plusses and several minuses. Most of the minuses happened in the beginning, with the good things not happening until the end. I thought the beginning of the book was too long and drawn out and that it mentioned too many things that were left up in the air, like why Stevic was so adamant about what he wouldn't share with Karigan and that he hated magic. I was disappointed in that and in Karigan's juvenile behavior. And Amberhill! Why do we even need him? He's a complete shmutz whose storyline is just too silly and had no payoff. I'm guessing this witch will be relevant at some point in time, but *something* had better happen soon.

I'm on the fence about the comatose marriage. I hated it - and the rape of Zachary, which I totally agree is what happened; having sex without giving your consent, even under the influence of a drug is considered sexual assault at the very least - but then thought that it might add interesting drama. I realized that at some point in time I was expecting Karigan and Zachary to get together. The marriage made me doubt it, which was an interesting turn. Then I thought sacking all of his advisers (save Captain Mapstone) was interesting because maybe now he can act more freely in running the kingdom and not be held back by their rigid ways. Which, in turn, may mean that he and Karigan could get together. But then what about Elena? So I actually found it intriguing from a reader's standpoint. It added interesting layers. But I was NOT liking Elena for quite awhile. I'm still iffy about her, even after the revelations at the end. But Zachary kicked ass, which was nice :) I really like him.

And the ending. Geez Louise. What a cliffhanger! I hadn't thought that Karigan might be in the tombs, but it makes total sense. I'm sure those letters will come to light, too. I was wondering if Condor might give clues to Karigan's well-being and/or location, especially given that the fact that messenger horses can do this was mentioned several times.

SilverWolf

• Tool Wrangler
    • My DeviantART Gallery
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2011, 10:24:53 am »
Silverwolf, I also finished this last night and I agree with pretty much everything you said. (warning, real spoilers ahead)

And the ending. Geez Louise. What a cliffhanger! I hadn't thought that Karigan might be in the tombs, but it makes total sense. I'm sure those letters will come to light, too. I was wondering if Condor might give clues to Karigan's well-being and/or location, especially given that the fact that messenger horses can do this was mentioned several times.

The problem is that Condor is still at the wall, I imagine that Lynx is going to go straight to the castle to give his report (especially given that 1 Rider is confirmed dead, the other missing, plus the deaths of the other 3 Sacoridians, the death of Graeleala (I think I spelled that right), and everything that happened once they reached Argenthyne with rescuing some of the Sleepers and whatnot), his first duty is to tell the King what transpired. It could be a while before anyone (even the Captain/other Riders at the castle...) even think about Condor. But I do agree that his attitude/behavior will come into play as to what Karigan's state is - just a question of who's going to think to pay attention (especially since Alton is now preoccupied with Estral's voice loss).

I too also loved it when Zachary sacked his staff.... I think they got off way easier than they deserved - but like they said in the book, perhaps with the type of punishment Zachary gave them, they'll get what's coming to them.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 06:55:50 pm »

The problem is that Condor is still at the wall, I imagine that Lynx is going to go straight to the castle to give his report (especially given that 1 Rider is confirmed dead, the other missing, plus the deaths of the other 3 Sacoridians, the death of Graeleala (I think I spelled that right), and everything that happened once they reached Argenthyne with rescuing some of the Sleepers and whatnot), his first duty is to tell the King what transpired. It could be a while before anyone (even the Captain/other Riders at the castle...) even think about Condor. But I do agree that his attitude/behavior will come into play as to what Karigan's state is - just a question of who's going to think to pay attention (especially since Alton is now preoccupied with Estral's voice loss).

I too also loved it when Zachary sacked his staff.... I think they got off way easier than they deserved - but like they said in the book, perhaps with the type of punishment Zachary gave them, they'll get what's coming to them.

You know, I thought about the Condor thing a few days ago - you're right. However, I question whether Lynx really is going to head straight to the castle. I got the impression that he wanted to go - and was going - straight to the woods where he felt safe. So I was wondering if anyone would actually know that Karigan was missing, as well as all the other news, for a little while. But on the other hand, Lynx is a Green Rider, so he really should make a report - but then again (!), he's not exactly in the best frame of mind. And as you mention, Alton & Estral will be rather preoccupied. So I'm thinking it might actually take some time before anyone knows what happened.

SilverWolf

• Tool Wrangler
    • My DeviantART Gallery
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 06:04:28 pm »

You know, I thought about the Condor thing a few days ago - you're right. However, I question whether Lynx really is going to head straight to the castle. I got the impression that he wanted to go - and was going - straight to the woods where he felt safe. So I was wondering if anyone would actually know that Karigan was missing, as well as all the other news, for a little while. But on the other hand, Lynx is a Green Rider, so he really should make a report - but then again (!), he's not exactly in the best frame of mind. And as you mention, Alton & Estral will be rather preoccupied. So I'm thinking it might actually take some time before anyone knows what happened.

Perhaps he's taking a path back to Sacor City that will take him through a forest - maybe the Green Cloak itself of course, it's things like that that really make me wish KB would provide an actual map of Sacoridia & it's borders. We came close with this one, what with the map of Blackveil itself at the beginning, but dang it... I want a full on map! *lol* I've found a couple fan made ones from artists like Burning--Ice or coltongirl on deviantART, but even they admit that their maps aren't necessarily accurate and that they're mainly going by what description there are in the first books

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 08:10:45 pm »
That was awesome! But the cliffhanger sucked... if I knew we would have the enw book in a year I could suck it up, but now I just want to have a temper tantrum  9)

I agree with everything that you guys said. I've lost pretty much all respect for Estora. Yeah, she was manipulated too, but I used to like her. Now? Not so much at all.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2012, 01:52:15 pm »
I re-read Blackveil again the other day and had some thoughts. Even though the book's been out for awhile, I'll put spoiler bars in - just in case.

I was also thinking that Karigan is in the tombs underneath the castle. But then I thought that means she'd have to be found pretty quickly - or else she'd die buried in whatever coffin she's in. And what a waste of emotional depth that would be. Surely it would make the story more powerful if it was believed she was dead - or at least likely dead if missing. There's Estora's guilt/jealousy/etc., Zachary's despair, and Lauren & Stevic's burgeoning relationship would of course be affected (was I the only one to make that connection?) And then there's those letters Karigan wrote prior to leaving, specifically the one to Zachary where she poured her heart out to him on the page. That *has* to make an appearance somehow or else it's completely wasted. And Karigan said those letters would come to light only if she died/failed to come back.

And let me reiterate how much I really dislike the character of Amberhill. I still have no idea of his purpose in anything.

Janilee

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 01:55:51 pm »
Amberhill will come back to stir things up or save the day.

I'm not certain Kerigan has ended up in a where yet. And with her I'm not even certain she's ended up when.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 01:58:47 pm »
I got disenchanted with this series, after the second book.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2012, 12:36:42 pm »
Amberhill will come back to stir things up or save the day.

I'm not certain Kerigan has ended up in a where yet. And with her I'm not even certain she's ended up when.

Good point, Janilee. I hadn't thought of that.

My other critique, besides Amberhill, was that the jester/mirror man also seemed to come from nowhere. Usually supernatural forces are related to either the Eletians or to the Sacordian gods. But this mirror mask has no foundation - I'm not sure where it comes from. Wild magic? But then you'd think that would be mentioned, since it has been before. Any thoughts?

Janilee

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2012, 12:59:06 pm »
The third possibility could be the magic of the invaders.  (I'm drawing a blank on their name.) We have the bits and pieces of their magic from the grandmother, but stories suggest they could once do much more.

I'm not certain the magic of the Eletians or the Sacordians can be eliminated. The Eletian magic is by it's nature elusive to the narrators of the story. Sacordian magic was lost a buried so it could come from there.

So someone may have to discover what the mirror man is in old records or such. Or possibly a discussion with the keepers of the wall. This will bring back a tie-in with the characters fixing the wall or the scholars at the school.

My thoughts is the mirror magic is a trickster character and will be explained. I believe there needs to be a shake up in the magical world. The Sacordians have deliberately not used their magic which may be causing an imbalance somewhere. This would make a trickster character need to come in and force changes. Since he appeared at the ball I'm assuming he/it is of Sacordian origin. (And this could all be wrong and will be explained in some other way.)

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2012, 10:46:18 am »
I don't think it's Arcosian (the invaders), but maybe more like Sacordian, as he appeared at the ball (as you mentioned), and it appears to be a tradition (just usually lacking a magical punch). So maybe another god we haven't heard about, yet? It'll probably be years before we find out, as  it takes Kristin awhile to finish a book. I checked her website and there's nothing at all new described. I'd forgotten that Blackveil only came out in early 2011.

Janilee

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2012, 10:51:00 am »
I do enjoy her books, but they do take a while.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2013, 10:46:09 am »
New title release  for the fifth book, Mirror Sight, to be released next spring. :)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2013, 07:44:41 pm »
*does a happy dance* Finally, that last book ended with a doozy of a cliff hanger.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2013, 11:35:00 pm »
 :D Indeed it did!

snapdragon

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2015, 11:33:32 am »
I was on Kristen's site earlier last week and she now has a Title for book 6.

Firebrand will probably be out late next year or early 2017- hopefully... She really didn't say on release timing just that there was a title. :-whistle

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2015, 01:12:23 pm »
A title is a good step.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2015, 09:44:09 am »
Should we start a pool? I'm going to say 2019.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2015, 01:13:41 pm »
 LOL

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2015, 06:18:50 pm »
That's realistic. I'll put money on 2020.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2015, 04:20:04 am »
LOL

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2016, 01:24:27 pm »
The last book was very dark, so I'm wondering how dark Firebrand will be. I don't mind a little dark, but I need something to balance some of it out. I'll read this one and will have my fingers crossed.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2016, 03:50:56 pm »
This made me wonder when the next one was coming out again...
"Firebrand is currently with my editor awaiting her attention. Release date is unknown."

So probably next year.

I'm with you Cerulean. Last two were pretty dark, a little bit of light before the storm wouldn't go amiss.