Author Topic: Charles & Anna Discussion  (Read 44035 times)

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
Charles & Anna Discussion
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:23:12 am »
I loved this book, as I knew I would :D

What I loved most about this book, was what Fairyfreak said above. The insights to Bran were indeed fascinating. Not only did we learn more about him,and past events that happened to him, but more about his relationship, or should I say his wolf's relationship with Leah. I still can't stand Leah, but I we now know why he mated to her. While I do feel sorry for her in a way, she is still a horrible and yes, mean women. I hope that Bran, somehow finds someone new, but if he lets himself love again, what would happen to the tightly controlled beast, that for now, is under control with his  mating bond with Leah.

I simply just adore Charles and Anna. Anna, is such a loveable character that you can't help but champion her on. Through out the book, slowly Anna learns more about herself, and Charles. The way he changed into human, despite being badly wounded, just so he could convey to her that he wants her to stay, really touched on how much pain he would go through for her.

It was also interesting, how after they did have sex, the mating bond didn't come into play straight away. Only in the mountains, after the fight with Mariposa did the mating bold happen. When she took and held his hand, my heart just simply melted.

Now I definitely want to seem more of Asil! He was a very dark, and complex character. I wasn't sure of him, until we found out that the witch, Mariposa actually stole his mating bond from him and Sarai. Is it me, or did anybody think that something could develop between him and Sage. I cant wait to see more of Sage, and the way she stood up for Anna when icky Leah  tried to browbeat Anna down. Despite Leah being the female Alpha, Sage spoke her mind.

I just have to say, Patti you have done an outstanding job on Cry Wolf, and I cant wait for the next book.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Charles & Anna Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:00:55 am »
It was also interesting, how after they did have sex, the mating bond didn't come into play straight away. Only in the mountains, after the fight with Mariposa did the mating bold happen. When she took and held his hand, my heart just simply melted.

That was one of my favorite parts  ;D- but I think it was in that moment that they both fully worked as a team and Anna's self doubts and the protectiveness that Charles had for her were the factors that was holding them back.
I cant wait to read the sequel to see what the gift will be and I wonder if we will see the mating ceromeony in Bone Crossed or in a later book because I was disappointed that we didnt get to 'see' that.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

horsehearted

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 05:01:56 pm »
i got it yesterday and read into the wee hours of the morning to finish it, that being said, i'll obviously need to reread it.
BUT
i find that i can connect more with Anna than i could with Mercy. Mercy can kick butt, she makes trouble with vampires and the fae and doesn't really give a damn as to the consequences. As much as that makes for great story telling, its exhausting to try to imagine someone really doing all that. Anna's humanity and her flaws make her so much more appealing to me. She is someone that would react to situations as i would. She definitely does not feel in control of her life, but she's trying to make it work. And that cat! in the very beginning she shows just how compassionate she really is by feeding a cat! i loved that! there she is dead tired from waitressing, which really is exhausting, and she sits for an hour so a cat won't go hungry.

She has an endurance that isn't often found in main characters, its easier to just make them the center of everything, but Anna sat on the sidelines for years, and took abuse, and she'll be ok. This is a character i can respect, and definitely enjoy in the books (lots hopefully) to come!

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 06:39:28 pm »
This is kind of a connection between CW and the excert from Bone Crossed - Adam wants Mercy to get counciling, but it is pretty much a given that she won't go to a normal councilier, but what if she talked with Anna? After all, Anna was raped too, and seems to be learning to deal with it.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 03:45:20 pm »
Well, we've only seen Mercy interacting with a very few Marrock pack members, and some were different from the few we saw in this volume, so it's hard to tell, in some ways, how different that interaction is.  But you're most likely right; Mercy is - instinctively? - confrontational or at least contrary, rejecting authority, while Anna would (if it hadn't been for Leo & Co.) probably have thought she was as rule-abiding as anyone.  The lessons Leo & Co. beat into her tell her to slide under the radar, mostly obey, otherwise just hide & slide.  Her omega nature, however, leaves her able to be essentially as contrary as Mercy, but without the aspect of making people want to whomp her, and without her wanting to be contrary for the sake of it.  She understands and accepts the need for the rules & power structures better, perhaps because of her omega nature.  She just has the inner strength to see & act when it's better the rules don't apply to her for whatever reason.

Did that make any sense?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 04:12:42 pm »
Well, we've only seen Mercy interacting with a very few Marrock pack members, and some were different from the few we saw in this volume, so it's hard to tell, in some ways, how different that interaction is.  But you're most likely right; Mercy is - instinctively? - confrontational or at least contrary, rejecting authority, while Anna would (if it hadn't been for Leo & Co.) probably have thought she was as rule-abiding as anyone.  The lessons Leo & Co. beat into her tell her to slide under the radar, mostly obey, otherwise just hide & slide.  Her omega nature, however, leaves her able to be essentially as contrary as Mercy, but without the aspect of making people want to whomp her, and without her wanting to be contrary for the sake of it.  She understands and accepts the need for the rules & power structures better, perhaps because of her omega nature.  She just has the inner strength to see & act when it's better the rules don't apply to her for whatever reason.

Did that make any sense?

Yes. It does. I loved how Patricia used the pack structure that normally makes the Were's strong, to weaken them through the magic of the black witch. I love how the Anna naturally circumvents the pack magic and kills the witch.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 05:30:03 pm »
I loved the way Anna translated that into Latin, that made me laugh.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 01:27:57 am »
I loved the way Anna translated that into Latin, that made me laugh.
I kinda liked the Latin for showing a Anna that was holding on to her emotional stabillity on her bare fingernails. The way she used it and the explanation she gives for its use sounded a lot like beginning regression. So I'd hope that she looses that trait with time because it made her sound ... uhm, a bit silly.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

e_booklover

• Mechanic
    • The Bookpushers
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 07:57:34 am »
I liked the Latin.  It seemed to me like she was reminding herself of happier times and also at the same time showing that she wasn't entirely beaten down.  I also agree that as she grows more comfortable and confident that her usage should decrease so it would only come out when she was feeling really stressed, and that would be a clue to anyone who knows her that things aren't good.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 04:27:18 pm »
Both as individuals or as a couple.
Hurog Means Dragon.

munkee

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 06:31:11 am »
I loved cry wolf, but something about charles grated me a bit...lol he just doesn't seem male enough. he gets too surprised about anna and in awe and wonder and so forth and it just doesn't seem real. lol guys don't normally come to those conclusions I guess. BUT hey, that's why this is fiction.  :D

I loved this book because it explained a bit more of mercy's world ( yeah, I guess I include charles and anna into mercy's world, even though anna and mercy haven't met)...I have a feeling that some people won't get into it should they not read mercy's books first.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 08:06:12 am »
Funny enough I remember reading somewhere else that they didn't like Charles acting so typical male towards Anna, i.e. not talking things out but rather keeping his thoughts and feelings to himself and brooding over it.
Which was one of the main things I liked about the book, to have a male character that acts more natural and isn't the all empathic 'I know what you're feeling right now' type without coming off so selfabsorbed that you have to wonder 'why does she put up with him?'.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 08:16:42 am »
I think that the material where Anna was trying to cook the stew and Charles took it over pretty much showed why Charles was not talking to her, and that she knew it, even if it didn't help make her feel secure.  He's been doing for himself for 200 years; he's not used to having someone to share chores with and talk to, talk with.  They're going to have that to sort out, along with her probably having to push him a little to talk to her. 

But she didn't talk to him very much either, please note.

Something I noticed in re-reading the other day, and that struck me;  Charles can smell when someone 'calls his/her wolf' to help them with a problem, besides the eye color change.  But Anna had just called up her wolf enough to change her eye color and then let her subside, in the steamy bathroom, and apparently he didn't smell that.

Or am I mixing the previous evening with the morning?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

jenglows

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 03:13:36 pm »
I'll need to re-read also to refresh, but  I thought that part of why Charles couldn't sense her Wolf was partially the Omega effect.   Anna's wolf is not as intense, perhaps?  Or maybe her wolf was putting out the emotions that he expected and with his injury and the omega effect he just wasn't up-to-par on detection?

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 10:36:03 pm »
I loved the book, I am waiting for the printed version so that I will re read it when I am alone...

As for Charles, It was quite typical behavior for someone who lives alone for a long time and is close to only 2 people as his role as his father's hit man doesn't really allow him to socialize too much.

Anna's wolf came out only to an extent, giving Anna a bit of her power, Charles I guess with the injuries and the need to protect her, [or his wolf- I just thought of that so bare with me- His wolf is mated with Anna's at the time but the bond isn't completed as the human parts haven't built the trust and acceptance required. So, what if Charles's wolf sensed Anna using her Wolf's power and decided to ignore it for both their sakes? so that Anna and Charles could come closer as their wolves would? ] I am not sure if that makes sense, but It could be Anna's wolf masking her interference so that they would try to bond, and that Anna can try to overcome her fears and doubts...

it could be only my wishful thinking... and I sure can't wait to read their next adventures as well as their relationship's issues.... I hope we will get to see some of Anna in Bones Crossed.... that would be fun....