Author Topic: Leah & Other Characters Discussion  (Read 132459 times)

Temari

Re: Bran & Leah Discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 04:52:10 am »
I do feel sorry for Leah too. She's clearly very selfish and unpleasant, but Bran wants her to be like that, so I'm not suprised she's become very bitter and hates anyone who takes Bran's attention in any way.

I think it was an interesting insight to Bran - characters keep saying how ruthless he is, but comes across as a nice guy, and that's how I still thought of him - but he's certainly using Leah without thought for her feelings or development. Oh the other hand, his reason for doing so... if by doing he stays stable and so holds all of the US wolves stable, then he's saving thousands of wolf lives and making life better for all those who live. I can see he'd more than accept that balance, but a tough moral decision.

I was very sad that Walter never had a chance to see if he could get over his troubles with the help of a pack. I liked him.

I loved the background on Bran and Samuel too - it sounded to me as though poor Sam stayed with his father all the time he was beserk, trying to get him to calm and eventually succeeding, but only after many years. And he's sooooo old, Mercy would be shocked!

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 09:27:57 am »

Do you think the Leah cares for Bran? When Bran came home and Leah was sleeping in his bed, it just made me wonder because if it were me, I would not be sleeping in my mate's bed when he's not around if I didn't care somehow and want a connection with him while he is away. Could she have even been worried about him?

Sorry...when I posted this the quote thing didn't work... :)

You know. Even selfish, shallow and stupid bitches learn to care about things. If she doesn't, maybe her wolf does. Who knows. All I know is that it is difficult to be in a relationship when you are shut out and playing second fiddle to a dead woman and everyone else who demands attention..and she has been doing it for over a century.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:30:05 am by Perkinator »

Kyra_Athena

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 10:04:44 am »
I don't know what Leah would have been like 100 years ago.  I simply don't like her, but I guess that's deliberate character development.  Seeing as Bran chose her due to being selfish and stupid, I doubt much has changed.  She seems very bitter and jealous, but she also likes the attention and power that comes with being his mate. 

Something was mentioned by Bran near the end of Cry Wolf about the mating bond "spreading" the rage or something like that, making it easier to manage.  If that is true, does that also mean that Leah is also sharing in his instability and rage along with the power that comes with being the Alpha's mate? That would explain some of her vindictiveness, in that the anger Bran keeps tightly wrapped is not so secure with her.  If it does come from him, that may be why he tolerates her? I assume that somewhere there is strength in Leah or she might be absolutely insane sharing the rage with Bran. 

How do werewolf mates separate? Is it literally a death-'til-you-part situation or can it be dissolved like a divorce?

Off topic but related, I was really creeped out about the still-living coyote that was anchored to the witch's cabin.  Did it remind you of Mercy?

Oh..I don't think her behavior is excusable, but I definitely understand it. She should have dumped Bran's sorry behind about a century ago. (If she could, I don't know how the bond works though). I think most people have been in a relationship that you have cared more for the person than they care for you. Now I am rambling...unless she likes the status and power, but that is a lonely road to travel.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:38:34 am by Kyra_Athena »

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 03:37:03 pm »
If Leah ever pulls her head out her self asbiportion and  figures out that she is saving Bran from the beserker. there would  no stopping her taryanting.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 08:27:47 pm »
I have to say, I think that one of the reasons Bran shuts Leah out is that she doesn't "get" alot of what he has to do.  For instance, she thinks his mourning of Doc Wallace is fake because he killed him.  She obviously doesn't understand that the killing was actually an act of mercy and love.  I think that Bran's insistence that he found someone sooo stupid and selfish is pretty well reflected in that passage where she meets Anna.  He deliberately set out to find someone he could not like and respect, so he wouldn't come to love her.  That is why she is so easy to keep out.  It does make Bran a bit of a dick for doing it, but his dickiness doesn't automatically make her worthy of any regard.

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 01:22:16 pm »
I have to say, I think that one of the reasons Bran shuts Leah out is that she doesn't "get" alot of what he has to do.  For instance, she thinks his mourning of Doc Wallace is fake because he killed him.  She obviously doesn't understand that the killing was actually an act of mercy and love.  I think that Bran's insistence that he found someone sooo stupid and selfish is pretty well reflected in that passage where she meets Anna.  He deliberately set out to find someone he could not like and respect, so he wouldn't come to love her.  That is why she is so easy to keep out.  It does make Bran a bit of a dick for doing it, but his dickiness doesn't automatically make her worthy of any regard.

Everyone deserves some sort of regard, no matter how selfish and how stupid. Everyone has worth, some you have to look a little harder, dig a little deeper, be a little more patient with, yes be a hard ass with...but the worth is there. (Can you tell I teach at an innercity Title I school) I wanted to point out to all of the "woe is Bran, he needs a new mate" that it is a situation of his own choice.  His "dickiness" is probably exasperating the situation with Leah and even making her worse.

Cole

• Grease Monkey
  • Der Teufel ist ein Eichhörnchen
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 04:49:55 am »
no it was a raccoon the coyote was under it

There is no place like /~

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 04:51:05 am »
Yep, the coyote was underneath the cabin.
But, yes, kyra_Athena, I thought of Mercy instantly, and it creeped me out to no end, too!!
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Maya

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 11:29:32 am »
I also immediately thought of Mercy when it mentioned a coyote in the cabin. Good thing it wasn't! I don't think she -- or Adam, or Samuel for that matter -- would have been too happy with Charles.

Maiv

• Tool Wrangler
  • Don't Worry! Be Happy!
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 10:52:32 am »
 ;D

Hi, I'm new here and this will be my first post. Um...Where should I start?
Well, I've read Mercy's books. And I just finished Cry Wolf about two hours ago. I wish February was here already to find out what happens in Bone Crossed!!!
I read a lot of those romance novels and I have to say...the love scenes for Patty's books are wonderful. It's got enough details to leave you craving for more and at the same not. It's just perfect!  ;)

Okay, 'nuf of that...I have a question for all you folks (or for Patty). I have to get this off my chest, but does it bother you that when Patty writes about Leah and Bran in....bed (shivers)...it's really disturbing.  ???
Why? Only because I can't stand Leah. I don't think anyone likes her at all. I can see why she is jealous and I can understand (somewhat) why Bran's wolf chose her as a mate...but...uggh! Leah? I wonder if Bran will find someone else if there are future books. That would be interesting to his love life. :D

Also, another question, if love wasn't necessary for the mating bond accept for acceptance and trust, then how do the human side of two people really live with each other? I know she has her own room and he has his own, but it seems to me that they're living like strangers only looking forward to coupling(?) at night when they feel like it.

Does anyone feel the same way? Yes? No? Would greatly appreciate the feedback!
Let me scratch my head over that one...

a3kings

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 11:06:11 am »
hello nyuammeb!  I know leah is a real b****. Bran choose her to mate with because she's disagreable. He was certain that he could never really love her. So the answer to your question is that their human side  dont live with each other. He actively promotes this state in their relationship. The sex scene at the end of cry wolf actually answered a lot of questions about them. I know leah is mean and stupid but a large part of why she behaves that way with people has to do with bran and how he treats her >:(. It's really sad actually. If things were different maybe she wouldnt be so hostile. I know she still wouldnt be friendly and kind but her attitude towards people would be better.....probably :-\ :)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 05:26:45 pm »
Discuss our favorite disfunctional couple here. ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 05:30:04 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

luvstraberries

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 07:31:41 pm »
Okay, so both Samuel (in MC) and Charles (in AO) have stated that the wolf choose Leah because Bran was alone too long.  Then in Cry Wolf Bran states that both his sons don't understand why he choose Leah.  And it didn't seem to be but a few years (?) after Blue Jay Womans death that he married Leah. I don't have the books in front of me...  so I can't quote.

We learn because he loved Blue Jay Woman so much and he didn't want to experience that kind of pain again (but he needed to control the beast) so he picked Leah because she was the most stupid and selfish woman he could find.

Is Leah's wolf mated to Bran?  Or did Leah the human select Bran for his power and position? Or a combination of both?

So my question is who chose Leah?

Please forgive me if I am rambling   :D

???

rox_squirrel

• Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 07:50:47 pm »
i got the impression that it was that Bran's wolf chose but i think that Bran helped it along with what he considered the "correct" choice

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 01:31:38 pm »
I haven't talked this question over with Patty, but I have much the same reaction an nyuammeb: while Leah is certainly a cold-hearted wench, being locked into a loveless marriage would make anyone an unpleasant ogre.  I kind of understand Bran's reasoning, but it still seems pretty cold.   We'll have to see if Patty explains his motives a little further . . . ???
Where's my super-suit?