Author Topic: Leah & Other Characters Discussion  (Read 132319 times)

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
Leah & Other Characters Discussion
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:18:13 pm »
I loved the book. I love Anna and Charles.

On that note, I want to talk about Leah.

Yes she is shallow, selfish, bitter and a bitch, and yet I feel sorry for her. She resents the hell out of the Marrock's sons. Then again, some of the situation is of Brandon's making. How would you feel if you were shut out of someone's life and only used for sex? She tries and asks whats wrong, but Bran dials up the phone and calls Sam. After a couple of decades or a century of that, who wouldn't feel like she did? What would you do in that situation?

She came from a time where a woman's prestige came from her husband. I would love to see if Patty does something positive with Leah. Have her develop her own self worth.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:30:15 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Bran & Leah Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:04:06 pm »
Practice, practice, practice. 

And a healthy dollup of feminine hypocracy.  Sometimes you have to use 'do as I say, not as I do'.

Welcome, Hurog.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

a3kings

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:11:54 pm »
Quote from: Perkinator
Patty:

I just wanted to say how much I loved Cry Wolf. I just love Anna and Charles.

Who is locked in the Marrock's basement?

Please tell me you are going to do something positive with Leah? The scene with Anna was just too funny, and heartbreaking at the same time. Even stupid and selfish peeps need love. I couldn't imagine going through a century or so with someone who pretty much ignores you except in the bedroom. Plus she sees how he cares about everyone except her.  I would be bitter and bitchy too.

Vicki aka Perkinator

I completely agree with that. Even before I read cry wolf I kinda thought that be hard to live with everyday. Now to find out that bran choose her deliberately in order not to love her  >:( makes him an a**hole as a husband in my book. I know he has things to deal with but thats harsh. To be clear I dont think that her behavior is excusable at all. She makes it way to easy for him.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:40:52 am by Elle »

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »
Oh..I don't think her behavior is excusable, but I definitely understand it. She should have dumped Bran's sorry behind about a century ago. (If she could, I don't know how the bond works though). I think most people have been in a relationship that you have cared more for the person than they care for you. Now I am rambling...unless she likes the status and power, but that is a lonely road to travel.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:44:08 pm by Perkinator »

a3kings

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 12:52:31 pm »
i believe that somewhere in the series it mentions that you can leave your mate but it is  really hard to do. so i guess you have to really wnat to go. BUt even if leah did want to leave i dont think she has the brains or the strengh to do it. remember she comes from a time when you deal with your marrige whether good or bad, until death ect.. I wonder if she ever went to school or even ever left the safety of aspen creek.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 01:07:10 pm »
Okay, I apologize in advance, 'cause this is a stupid nit-pick, but -

Bran in the Welsh isn't short for Brandon.  It's just Bran. 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 04:41:33 pm »
Sorry, my ex is named Brandon. If I am talking about someone being a jerk, naturally the name slips out.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 05:15:58 pm »
I can see that.  :D
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

mystify

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 07:20:50 pm »
On that note, I want to talk about Leah.

Yes she is shallow, selfish, bitter and a bitch, and yet I feel sorry for her. She resents the hell out of the Marrock's sons. Then again, some of the situation is of Brandon's making. How would you feel if you were shut out of someone's life and only used for sex? She tries and asks whats wrong, but Bran dials up the phone and calls Sam. After a couple of decades or a century of that, who wouldn't feel like she did? What would you do in that situation?

She came from a time where a woman's prestige came from her husband. I would love to see if Patty does something positive with Leah. Have her develop her own self worth.
[/quote]

Do you think the Leah cares for Bran? When Bran came home and Leah was sleeping in his bed, it just made me wonder because if it were me, I would not be sleeping in my mate's bed when he's not around if I didn't care somehow and want a connection with him while he is away. Could she have even been worried about him?

Sorry...when I posted this the quote thing didn't work... :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:26:16 pm by mystify »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 07:33:14 pm »
I hd another thought about that after the similar post elsewhere.

If they married in that understanding, it's one thing, but if she didn't know, that's another.  It does cast a 'dark light' on Bran.

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 08:45:07 pm »
I hd another thought about that after the similar post elsewhere.

If they married in that understanding, it's one thing, but if she didn't know, that's another.  It does cast a 'dark light' on Bran.

That would be me...I am a bad poster..but I wanted to ask Patty, too.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 09:05:27 pm »
Nothing wrong with cross posting for something that you feel strongly about, Perkinator. At least not to me.  It's relevant.

And I'm kind of trying to agree with you, I think.  Maybe if she can break herself out of the old habits (and likewise Bran, by golly) and (probably with Anna's help for both of them) start insisting that he talk to her at least along with the 'boys', (heh.  200-1300 year old boys!) and he lets her in a little, maybe she can grow out of some of the "shallow, selfish, bitter and a bitch," behavior.  Maybe he'll discover that he has a third pillar of strength to lean on.  And maybe with a purpose, Leah can leave the bitterness behind her, grow less selfish.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 09:42:56 pm »
I would like that too. I think she's probably just being as she was taught to be.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 09:47:54 pm »
I think you're right, Zealith.  And no-one has been encouraging/pushing her to grow out of it.

I wonder if somewhere inside her she wants to, but doesn't know how or have the confidence to ask for help?  If that's part of why she's so anti-Mercy, because Mercy doesn't need to cling, and was raised to believe she could do for herself, and doesn't have to have a mate, not being a were, and required to have a mate, or suffer through 'belonging' to the alpha?

What was Leah's life like before she was changed?  Was she force-changed too?  How long was she were before Bran's wolf chose her?  What did she suffer?  How long has it had to dig ruts the depth of Bryce Canyon?

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 03:32:13 am »
Going through all this talk about Leah really changed my view on her, I somehow took it for granted when Bran(?) said that she just mated him because she craves power.

But reading through the previous posts it does become apparent that Bran doesn't share much with Leah or confide much in here, I guess a partnership like that would make any one start acting bitter.
And there is an emphasis in the book that Bran enforces respect for Leah and her position, but he's doing it only for the sake of custom, not because he actually feels any of that himself.
In that light you begin to wonder about Leah's life within the pack.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 05:05:55 am by Gerd D. »
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"